Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

Its not a train, but I dont care. Its modeling, and its giving me more practice with plasticweld.

A 1/72nd scale Polikarpov I-153 Chaika. I just love this tiny aircraft.

The kit is made by ICM, and I have to say the quality is apparent. Crisp lines and almost negligible flash and cleanup.

So for the first night, I have the cockpit completed as well as the fuselage halves welded together.

post-21863-0-41622100-1459225532_thumb.jpgpost-21863-0-63717400-1459225542_thumb.jpg

On the train front, I got the brake gear for the van painted, and as far as I can tell, is just waiting for transfers now.

• Like 3

Ive been having so much fun building this kit.

Its giving me a great opportunity to learn how best to combine plasticweld, CA, and plastic cement.

post-21863-0-90554700-1459313615_thumb.jpg

The tail was a fun thing to paint. I dont paint white. I hate the colour. The paint either globs together and ruins detail, or is so watery it again blobs over detail.

So today, I masked the entire airframe with a bunch of cheap model masking tape and my more expensive Tamiya tape, and got the tarp out. Shook the can of white aerosol for about 4 minutes, and check it sprays evenly.....and the paint went off.

So I instead brushed white enamel on straight from the tin in as light a coat as possible, then thinned the same white paint and lightly brushed that on.

Im rather pleased with the result. It didnt hide the detail, and it lessened the somewhat excessive rib detail.

post-21863-0-89948700-1459313623_thumb.jpg

And Ive completely disregarded the kits painting directions. I think the company messed up the paint colours. That or every colour photo of the aircraft in the world is wrong.

I was working faster than the glue would dry, so I called it a night.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see something a bit different! I've often been tempted to build a plane or car kit, particularly since I realised it is the making of stuff that I like rather than any particular prototype.

Interesting that you are treating it as a skill builder; from what I see of you wagons on here you have been getting along very well without. Keep the updates coming.

Nice to see something a bit different! I've often been tempted to build a plane or car kit, particularly since I realised it is the making of stuff that I like rather than any particular prototype.

Interesting that you are treating it as a skill builder; from what I see of you wagons on here you have been getting along very well without. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks. To be honest, the "skill builder" bit is mostly justifying posting this here.

But I have been working more with plasticweld. Almost the entire kit was built with it. CA helped the bits which wouldnt cure fast enough.

Id recommend trying to build an aircraft. Its an entirely different experience. With trains the entire model is viewed as a whole,but an aircraft is seen as an individual model and must stand up to close scrutiny. An aircraft often is a flowing shape, something you dont get with trains, so painting it poses new challenges.

• RMweb Premium

Id recommend trying to build an aircraft. Its an entirely different experience. With trains the entire model is viewed as a whole,but an aircraft is seen as an individual model and must stand up to close scrutiny.

I did build a few as a kid, but that must be close on 30 years ago now; something I'll definitely revisit, one day.

Apologies for the many photos.

Ive been doing a lot of painting the past week.

One of my projects was finishing the Polikarpov I-153.

It just needs some light weathering and a pilot. Anyone know a good source of 1/72nd pilots?

post-21863-0-03438100-1459878471_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-97182400-1459878485_thumb.jpg

Might even build a display base for it.

And a little progress on the LNWR van.

post-21863-0-47672700-1459878495_thumb.jpg

The brake gear is finished mostly. Still needs the brake shaft and lettering.

And I never did post photos of the finished electric loco from RoxeyMouldings.

post-21863-0-15258800-1459878504_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-17268200-1459878513_thumb.jpg

I dont particularly like the trolley pole. Would a small pantograph ever be used on a small loco?

And for anyone who knows of the video game series Fallout, I bought some 28mm "scale" figurines of soldiers from the series.

Really dont understand why they call it 28mm scale. Do they not understand scale does not mean size?

These figures actually stand at about 30-34mm tall.

post-21863-0-96456600-1459878574_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-91954900-1459878585_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-12297100-1459878595_thumb.jpg

Now that the distractions are almost done with, I must get back to working on trains.

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 5

Ive made more progress in the past 2 days than in the past 2 months!

The L&Y D3 van has finally been lettered. I gave up trying to find decals, and just hand painted it.

The numbers are a mixture of Ratio decals, and hand painting. Some wouldnt stick for some reason.

post-21863-0-99968400-1460649282_thumb.jpg

And the LNW D88 van is now complete.

post-21863-0-63199300-1460649293_thumb.jpg

Weathered with a wash and powders, representing a relatively newly painted wagon with some track grime and soot.

Now to decide what to build next.

Im thinking a flat wagon of some type, maybe start some freelance designs to go with my electric tram.

• Like 4

This spring, I took a course on computer aided manufacturing. For the final, we were tasked to use a CNC machine to create something.

While many of my classmates went for a simple design, maybe a test of their newfound skills, I on the otherhand took the opportunity to make a tool.

A 4mm scale wheelbase jig.

post-21863-0-94612900-1461286280_thumb.jpg

As it is now, it only can do foot and half foot increments. But I am hoping to edit the program to both make the operation better on the machine, but also add quarter foot and three quarter foot increments on the reverse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with a change of scenery, I embark on a new experience.

That change of scenery, for those curious, is coming back home from school for the summer, and the new experience, is Gauge 3.

More specifically, a Williams Models LNWR D9 open wagon.

And just opening the package, Im impressed.

Proper heavy duty box of the quality that will last a lifetime or two.

And the bits that come out are equally impressive.

A massive resin casting, and bags of bits and parts.

post-21863-0-43976700-1462595294_thumb.jpg

A nice comparison to its 4mm sibling.

post-21863-0-20780200-1462595303_thumb.jpg

And nice chunky wheelsets which positively locate on the axle. No fiddling with BTBs here.

But tonight was mostly spent checking over everything and drilling required holes in the castings and etchings for the brake gear and buffers, as well as getting the axleboxes to slide nicely in the irons.

post-21863-0-59289900-1462595311_thumb.jpg

I still need to drill out the axleboxes to take the axle ends, but I need to find the right drill bit first.

Ill probably take this build slowly, no point in rushing what should be an enjoyable experience.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Wow that's a seriously big model, where are you going to put it or run it?

In this scale I expect you could build a body from real wooden planks, metal strips and nuts and bolts (now there's a project for you), but I expect with your painting techniques you'll be able to make that resin body look like real wood.

Wow that's a seriously big model, where are you going to put it or run it?

In this scale I expect you could build a body from real wooden planks, metal strips and nuts and bolts (now there's a project for you), but I expect with your painting techniques you'll be able to make that resin body look like real wood.

Oh I plan to build another wagon with actual wood, bolts, and ironwork. I just have to find a source for the right size planks, which probably wont be an easy task.

But I figured I wouldnt make the same mistake I did when starting in 4mm and just get a kit under my belt before attempting scratchbuilding. Get a feel for the general scale and all.

Im trying to be patient and take the project slowly, but just the fact there is wood grain moulded in tempts me to try some sort of dry brushing to bring out the grain.

Ive been working hard all day. Slaving over an electric drill, clearing out the holes for the axles. Priming whitemetal, blackening brass and steel.

But I now have the two axles with the irons all built up.

And grease to lubricate all the surfaces. I guess its a good thing I opted for the grease axleboxes, or I might've ended up with an oily mess. :P

post-21863-0-92606800-1462679914_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Well, as Nile had predicted, Ive had a lot of fun painting the interior.

With a second coat of grey on the outside to fix any thin areas, I got started with laying down a coat of tan acrylic. Then three other tan/beige colours I had around were drybrushed all around the inside. Then a black acrylic wash brushed into the wood grain and wiped off. Then finally, I picked out the ironwork and every bolthead with steel paint.

post-21863-0-01559000-1462762551_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-96666500-1462762559_thumb.jpg

I still might take some powders to it to dirty up the corners some more.

But I really must get my dslr out and get some proper photos in some sunlight.

My iPad just cant get the detail.

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 7

So just a small change of gauge for a summer project then. Have to say the work you have done so far is looking fantastic

I know the proprietor of Williams Models through the society and have long admired the quality of his kits but not the price tags!

Keep the updates coming

Dave

So just a small change of gauge for a summer project then. Have to say the work you have done so far is looking fantastic

I know the proprietor of Williams Models through the society and have long admired the quality of his kits but not the price tags!

Keep the updates coming

Dave

Thanks.

I figured summer is here, time to mix it up. I have this, and I still need to finish a balsa plane I was building.

Yes the price is a bit wallet churning, but the quality is certainly there. And who really is going to complain when he is one of the very very few kitmakers for the scale.

Should the ironwork be in rust or perhaps a primer or paint? Perhaps all three?

Emma

Interior iron work condition is a big unknown for many wagons as photos dont often show interiors and painting guides dont specify it.

I havent weathered the ironwork yet, but I was considering just dulling it with some rust and grime powders.

The big thing was getting the wood to weather correctly before continuing,

Keep the updates coming

Dave

Given the number of kits Mike Williams is likely to sell, then I think the prices are very reasonable. Compare his loco kit prices with those of someone like Aster, for example.

Given the number of kits Mike Williams is likely to sell, then I think the prices are very reasonable. Compare his loco kit prices with those of someone like Aster, for example.

If you look at it in those terms then no Mike is not expensive at all, and you also get an awful lot of wagon for your money. My expression was in terms of an individual outlay from the wallet

That said if you compare to 00 then you would get 18 of the ratio wagons for one of Mikes, which I think you could quite easily stack the 18 ratios inside the one gauge 3 D9

Looking forward to the next update and photographs :)

If you look at it in those terms then no Mike is not expensive at all, and you also get an awful lot of wagon for your money. My expression was in terms of an individual outlay from the wallet

That said if you compare to 00 then you would get 18 of the ratio wagons for one of Mikes, which I think you could quite easily stack the 18 ratios inside the one gauge 3 D9

Looking forward to the next update and photographs :)

Just had a look and a quick estimate. Can fit 9 D9s in the wagon. Stack them for two layers, that was a really accurate guess!

I should be getting a few bits which were missing from the kit this week, so expect updates soon.