Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

Back to a bit of 4mm modelling, I bought an old kit off hattons, and have been having a nice time building it. Though it is 1/72nd, its close enough. Im not really worrying about accuracy, as its just being painted as it was marketed with a bit of cab detail added.

It might find a place somewhere on my layout, when I get back to actually finishing it of course!

post-21863-0-66883900-1465087234_thumb.jpg

And a quick repose of my scale setting figure. His very important job is to help me with realizing scale and what not, as I often have a terrible eye for guesstimating, and getting a ruler out every time I want to roughly build something is annoying.

post-21863-0-76998700-1465087244_thumb.jpg

I also received a couple Slaters dray kits I bought a couple weeks ago. Must get on those at some point, but the horses they come with are dreadfully malnourished excuses for work animals, so I may have to put a couple dray horses on my next "to buy" list.

That is...when my wallet recovers after spending damn near $400 on everything I need for the D3 van...

Why are BA fasteners so damn expensive, even in bulk prices...

• Like 2

Is that the Keli Kraft kit?

How did you do the lining?

Sort of. Hales, which really is just a repackage of keil kraft.

And the lining is with my finest brush. Though admittedly, I wouldnt use the same technique to line a coach or loco. Not good enough for that yet.

Well, Gauge 3 continues...slowly.

Last night and today I have built 8 door hinges for the van.

I may have to at some point remake a couple, but as each one took a lot of effort, Id rather not if possible.

post-21863-0-00456600-1465331869_thumb.jpg

The bolt holes are sized for 14BAs, and while the hinges are a bit overscale, whos going to complain?

Next to make probably will be the door catches.

• Like 3

Well, my Gauge 3 adventure, while not over, is on hiatus. The wood ordered for the L&Y van will be put into production in about a months time, the nuts and bolts have been ordered and are awaiting shipping, and the underframe bits which are being sourced from different Mike Williams kits with his amazing help are in the process of being picked out.

So in the mean time, Ive gotten on building some kits Ive been planning for months.

Slaters Midland design Drays.

But as Im slow and boring, I decided to instead paint the little horses to see how they turn out.

Not bad IMO.

post-21863-0-67105700-1465436130_thumb.jpg

I might actually keep these instead of buying some better castings.

• Like 3

Blimey, I bought one of those drays to sit onto of a diagram 38A wagon and whilst the dray went together easily enough the two part horse moulding I thought was atrocious. What you have managed to do with them is superb

Blimey, I bought one of those drays to sit onto of a diagram 38A wagon and whilst the dray went together easily enough the two part horse moulding I thought was atrocious. What you have managed to do with them is superb

Oh yes the moulding as they come is Atrocious, not even matching in halves. One of the horses feet wasnt even properly moulded!

I welded them together and took quite a bit of time cutting them to match, the yolk still isnt perfect, but wholl notice?

Oppositely, I think the dray is poorly moulded, especially the axles. The design just doesnt lend itself to being built all too well either.

But, what can we do?

The dray i found mine was crisply moulded though I agree not the most buildable. I found it was best to add a bit and then paint before adding the next and more paint, the wheels being last of course

Have you looked at Dart Castings range of horse drawn wagons?

The dray i found mine was crisply moulded though I agree not the most buildable. I found it was best to add a bit and then paint before adding the next and more paint, the wheels being last of course

Have you looked at Dart Castings range of horse drawn wagons?

I did consider them, but the only thing that would fit a goods yard was the flat dray. But comparing price with Slaters, Id rather go Slaters.

I wish someone made a kit of the Midland design delivery dray with the tarp.

Ive always hated doing transfers, especially when theyre small.

I have one dray finished. And a bit of a late decision, Ive hinged the poles, so I can either put it in the upright position, have it pulled by a horse, or laying on the ground.

post-21863-0-71325900-1465685526_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-91511700-1465685535_thumb.jpg

I am pleased with my efforts.

Now to get on with the second....

• Like 4

Well. I now have three road vehicles for Shelf Street!

post-21863-0-88209500-1466037625_thumb.jpg

The two drays have been lettered slightly differently, and the foden is a rather garish livery, but I think itll add a bit of colour to the otherwise rather drab scene, even if just beyond a wall.

But, does anyone know of anywhere I could find a 1/72nd Foden smokebox decal? Mine sort of...disentegrated as I was sliding it off the backing. Most likely due to the few decades its been sitting in a box unsealed.

Oh well...

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 2

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Gauge 3 returns, with a strong push towards preparing the underframe parts for the L&Y van.

Again, Williams Models and the owner, Mike, has been extremely helpful. Hand picked bits from different kits and parts has provided me with almost everything I needed.

Although some things needed modifying.

The axleboxes needed to be modified with some plastic to continue the curved bottom as the retaining bar wouldnt retain it otherwise.

post-21863-0-55832900-1466555478_thumb.jpg

And the W irons needed modifying.

First, a marking out with marker with the axleboxes in place.

post-21863-0-03890100-1466555488_thumb.jpg

Then I started cutting them to length.

post-21863-0-72973600-1466555496_thumb.jpg

And finally finished.

post-21863-0-86856100-1466555505_thumb.jpg

And Ive started lettering the LNWR open.

The brakes have been added on one side, and the other soon to follow.

post-21863-0-37900900-1466555515_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-51332100-1466555525_thumb.jpg

Now to continue with my "favourite" task of lettering.

• Like 5

Wow. Fast work.

One evenings work has produced the start of an underframe. The curb rail is being built in two parts as I dont exactly know how I will secure the walls yet. I could still go as prototype and map out all the bolted brackets holding the walls to the frame, but the plans arent exactly clear on the brackets shape and orientation.

post-21863-0-82215800-1467082813_thumb.jpg

But I have made a start with bolting bits on. The first being the coupling plates.

post-21863-0-78678200-1467082823_thumb.jpg

Im rather pleased with how its coming. An evenings work and I already have a close to running chassis.

• Like 7

Quick update tonight.

I have attached the v hangers and the w irons (temporarily).

post-21863-0-84382900-1467173799_thumb.jpg

The w irons are each held on with two bolts, so should be good enough to hold it. But if not, I can always add a bit of epoxy.

And this morning I started on one of the doors only to discover the 7.6mm wide planks I ordered were all cut to 7mm wide. With 9.5 planks per side, that ends up with over half a cm of difference to what it should be.

Must get them replaced before I can continue with the body.

But for now, I can at least work on getting the chassis finished.

Next is the solebar strapping and brake axle.

• Like 7

Well.

After spending a week on the problem at hand, that being the cams for the brakes, I believe I have finally figured out a solution.

post-21863-0-29130000-1467838720_thumb.jpg

Now the issue was figuring out how to make both brakes independent, being able to remove everything after assembly, and making it function reliably.

And here is what I came up with

post-21863-0-40596700-1467838728_thumb.jpg

An inner rod of 2mm diameter runs across the entire length, with threaded rod in both ends to retain the levers and cams.

An independent outer tube of 3mm diameter is the actual brake rod, with notches cut into the ends to form half the cams on each side.

The brake lever has a short piece of 3mm tube soldered on with the other half of the cams.

This is covered over by a short piece of 4mm rod to ensure the cams dont ride up above eachother.

So looking at it from the exterior, it looks like one solid rod, yet there are two cams and it all is separate from eachother.

And Ive been working with wood.

post-21863-0-80096800-1467838736_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-58392500-1467838745_thumb.jpg

I have made the left side doors for both sides. Now to make the right side doors and start assembling the frame.

Unfortunately, I cant do that yet as I bought the wrong w irons,and my modifications to them now dont work with the correct keeper plates. Also, the diagonals are incorrect for the solebar boltwork.

So I have to get those replaced, and I may need to rip apart the frame to replace the solebars as the w irons I have now had to have notches cut into the solebars to fit.

So many setbacks...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted out the W iron issue, as well as the doors.

I have also ordered custom waterjet cut steel strapping for the sides as well as angled mountings for the interior.

But, all my work hasnt been digital.

Ive made a start on the ends!

post-21863-0-84339900-1468906790_thumb.jpeg

After many hours over a couple days cutting and gluing, drilling and bolting, I have the four corner plates half prepared, and the ends almost done.

post-21863-0-53109900-1468906802_thumb.jpeg

Managed just one ends inside planking tonight before my eyes and hands just gave up.

Now to wait for the steel strapping to arrive, so I can sort out the door posts, so I can start cutting the wall timbers, so I can drill the corner plate holes, so I can fit the ends on, so I can fit the floor, so I can add the end framing, so I can figure out how I will do the cantrail, so I can sort out the roof ribs, so I can plank and cover the roof and finally so I can distract myself from $120 of custom milled wood and sort out the brakes.

I have just over a month till I either have to finish this project or put it in storage for several months.

• Like 6

Well, the assorted bits of wagon are starting to come together and actually look like something.

I have finished the ends, and added the end framing.

post-21863-0-00215900-1468977338_thumb.jpeg

post-21863-0-31876100-1468977346_thumb.jpeg

Too many bolts done up in one day. Hopefully, none of the ones currently on the ends will have to come off.

• Like 6