Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

Well then.

After weeks of putting it off, I started adding details to the boiler moulding. Handrails, chimney, dome, and valves. The smokebox number plate needed to be made as none of the plates supplied with the kit were the loco I chose.

post-21863-0-16892300-1438821897_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-33211900-1438821905_thumb.jpg

Aside from boiler details, I fitted sandbox filler caps, and some extra details on the tank fronts.

I still need to get tank top details, but I dont really understand how they all were, so waiting on that.

Handrails are not my forte.

post-21863-0-01209300-1438821913.jpg

Everything's uneven. But who'll notice under a black livery?

post-21863-0-91392200-1438821921_thumb.jpg

Im looking forward to adding the coal as I have fire irons and tools to scatter around with it.

Its important to not short out the loco, so I started adding insulation to the pickups where they are a bit too close to the chassis.

post-21863-0-49781500-1438821930_thumb.jpg

And loosely all together.

post-21863-0-80365400-1438821940_thumb.jpg

Mediocrity at its finest!

• Like 9

I just realized I never posted the finished D59 wagon.

This is now the second wagon Ive built completely from scratch, the first being the LNWR brake.

post-21863-0-61797900-1438910941_thumb.jpg

The L&Y and tare weights are hand painted while the "to carry 30 tons" is from a pressfix PO sheet.

Vac pipes are spares from the Jinty kit.

Bogies are Cambrian, which I fully recommend for anyone in need of bogies, and buffers, vac cylinder and brake wheels are from 51L.

Chassis is from plastic strip. And the body is from bass sheet.

For such a strange and rare wagon, I personally think I did a good job on it.

Now to pluck up the courage to weather it!

And my recent purchase, which was just for the pleasure of building, a second hand Keil Kraft ploughing engine kit.

Was a joy to put together, aside from the gears.

post-21863-0-68065000-1438910949_thumb.jpg

Now to super detail it and leave it sitting on a shelf because I cant be bothered to build a sister for it.

• Like 9

I just realized I never posted the finished D59 wagon.

This is now the second wagon Ive built completely from scratch, the first being the LNWR brake.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The L&Y and tare weights are hand painted while the "to carry 30 tons" is from a pressfix PO sheet.

Vac pipes are spares from the Jinty kit.

Bogies are Cambrian, which I fully recommend for anyone in need of bogies, and buffers, vac cylinder and brake wheels are from 51L.

Chassis is from plastic strip. And the body is from bass sheet.

For such a strange and rare wagon, I personally think I did a good job on it.

Now to pluck up the courage to weather it!

And my recent purchase, which was just for the pleasure of building, a second hand Keil Kraft ploughing engine kit.

Was a joy to put together, aside from the gears.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Now to super detail it and leave it sitting on a shelf because I cant be bothered to build a sister for it.

Don't put it on a shelf, put it on a wagon. That would be a cool load.

Its a Fowler Z7 Ploughing engine. Its a monster of a machine. I have no wagon which is large enough, or realistically strong enough to carry it.

I think part of the problem is that the Keil-Craft kits were made to a slightly larger scale (1/72?) than 4mm - not a great difference but enough to make them out of gauge - the real things would have been delivered by rail and would have kept within the loading gauge to keep things simple. On the ploughing engine the chimney would have been left unfitted for transportation.

I think part of the problem is that the Keil-Craft kits were made to a slightly larger scale (1/72?) than 4mm - not a great difference but enough to make them out of gauge - the real things would have been delivered by rail and would have kept within the loading gauge to keep things simple. On the ploughing engine the chimney would have been left unfitted for transportation.

it is yes, a 1/72nd kit. My point being the Z7's were one of the largest ploughing engines ever built.

But I dont have any wagons suitable to carry such a beast anyway.

Time to find a kit or scratch build a wagon capable of carrying the ploughing engine then?

I have the same kit awaiting building for a wagon load, but will also need to build one of the LNWR traction engine wagons to carry it

Time to find a kit or scratch build a wagon capable of carrying the ploughing engine then?

I have the same kit awaiting building for a wagon load, but will also need to build one of the LNWR traction engine wagons to carry it

Theres a kit for the LNWR traction wagon?

Falcon Brassworks, under LMS, WK223, Ex.LNWR Traction Engine wagon, one on my wishlist

Don't know if it is in production or not

Could you possibly send me a photo of the kit? Ive been curious about the kit for a while but Falcon Brassworks arent the best at responding to emails.

Could you possibly send me a photo of the kit? Ive been curious about the kit for a while but Falcon Brassworks arent the best at responding to emails.

Sadly not as I have not as yet tried to order one so no idea if its even in production or not

If it is I will be having two of them

My understanding is that everything that can be ordered is in production. IE the wagon kits are available because you can order them, but the locomotive kits are listed but not available.

I ordered both the traction engine wagon and the chemical pan wagon last night. I'll post pictures when they arrive, up to six weeks.

Well. No progress on the Jinty due to me not having the best primer. I use two types, Cheap Testors plastic primer, and Tamiya primer. Im all out of the Tamiya stuff and Id rather use it for priming the Jinty as Ive had less than perfect success with the Testors version on metal.

But that doesnt mean progress has stopped.

I ordered decals from Fox and I have to say Im thoroughly impressed with the service. Quick shipping and worked extremely well.

post-21863-0-37839400-1439674324_thumb.jpg

My Pug is finally lettered. I had "fun" scraping the BR numberplate off the smokebox.

And I decided to turn that Cambrian underframe into a tender truck for the pug. So I pulled the buffers off, built boxes around the bodies, and now its just waiting for paint.

A few more planks and some pickups for the pug will finish this. Now I just need to work out how to not permanently wire the two together. Maybe with some sort of clips underneath the truck?

post-21863-0-82176100-1439674337_thumb.jpg

Now I need to buy a romford screwdriver to fix the Jinty wheels fully, and while Im at it, I might as well buy wheels for my next kit, an London Road models LNWR Cauliflower. Though before I order wheels, I need to confirm the kits allowance as the Cauliflower has prominent splashers and I dont know if theres anything about the kit that would cause problems with the wheels.

Hooray for delays!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Its a Fowler Z7 Ploughing engine. Its a monster of a machine. I have no wagon which is large enough, or realistically strong enough to carry it.

Build one then :D You've clearly got the skills for scratchbuilding one. :)

They are pretty dire at responding. I gave up trying to resolve the issues with one of my kits after 18 months, I was wasting too much time chasing them for the missing parts, it was quicker just to order alternate parts from another supplier. I personally think you'd be better of scratchbuilding.

Edited by 57xx

Build one then :D You've clearly got the skills for scratchbuilding one. :) They are pretty dire at responding. I gave up trying to resolve the issues with one of my kits after 18 months, I was wasting too much time chasing them for the missing parts, it was quicker just to order alternate parts from another supplier. I personally think you'd be better of scratchbuilding.

Problem is I cant dind photos, drawings, or even a general description of any traction wagon aside from a single drawing of a MR built one, which isnt even symetrical!

Guess how I figured that out.

Though I still have whats left of my attempt, Im too proud of the work to get rid of it, even if its unusable.

Im rather good at scratchbuilding, though I do need all the measurments.

I absolutely hate guessing measurments and need to have a scale drawing to go off of.

Problem is I cant dind photos, drawings, or even a general description of any traction wagon aside from a single drawing of a MR built one, which isnt even symetrical!

Guess how I figured that out.

Though I still have whats left of my attempt, Im too proud of the work to get rid of it, even if its unusable.

Im rather good at scratchbuilding, though I do need all the measurments.

I absolutely hate guessing measurments and need to have a scale drawing to go off of.

If your keeping the work and it's how I imagine it (two side frames that are not the same length, could you double what you've already done and have two wagons of slightly different sizes? If they are close enough I imagine it wouldn't be noticeable?

If your keeping the work and it's how I imagine it (two side frames that are not the same length, could you double what you've already done and have two wagons of slightly different sizes? If they are close enough I imagine it wouldn't be noticeable?

By asymmetrical, I mean each solebar. The traction wagon floor does a sort of --___-- but the angles are way off. Its hard to explain actually. But aside from that, only the overall length and wheelbase were listed, and with a non scale drawing, I cant figure out any lengths.

It seems the heaviest Fowler ploughing engines weighed around twenty tons, so, theoretically, any machine wagon with adequate capacity would do. The LNWR Society has published a book covering some more obscure prototypes, including suitable Implement wagons. Unfortunately the relevant drawings are just weight diagrams. Although they are fairly well dimensioned they lack detail, including axle boxes and, apparently, there are no photos of them to flesh them out.

However, I have found some examples from the south that come with both drawings and photos. Volume 3 of Southern Wagons depicts the SECR traction engine wagons, primarily to distribute the products of Aveling and Porter, while Volume 1 has a potential LSWR example, which, I think, is available as a basic resin casting from Gramodel.

There is a nice picture of a traction engine, albeit a smaller type than the Fowler behemoth, on an MGNR Wagon on the NMR Gallery website, which shows how various bits were unfixed for transportation.

It seems the heaviest Fowler ploughing engines weighed around twenty tons, so, theoretically, any machine wagon with adequate capacity would do. The LNWR Society has published a book covering some more obscure prototypes, including suitable Implement wagons. Unfortunately the relevant drawings are just weight diagrams. Although they are fairly well dimensioned they lack detail, including axle boxes and, apparently, there are no photos of them to flesh them out.

However, I have found some examples from the south that come with both drawings and photos. Volume 3 of Southern Wagons depicts the SECR traction engine wagons, primarily to distribute the products of Aveling and Porter, while Volume 1 has a potential LSWR example, which, I think, is available as a basic resin casting from Gramodel.

There is a nice picture of a traction engine, albeit a smaller type than the Fowler behemoth, on an MGNR Wagon on the NMR Gallery website, which shows how various bits were unfixed for transportation.

I have the photo of the MGNR wagon.

Overall though, Its already built, and I dont fancy tearing the chimney off just to load it on a wagon. Maybe the next traction kit.

Well. As the summer draws to a close, I have to start packing up my workbench for the 300 mile trip to school. Hopefully there I can get the Jinty finished and start on my next big ticket purchase, a London Road Models LNWR Cauliflower.

But that doesnt mean there hasnt been progress.

The Mousa Models MR 3 plank is now finished. (aside from wagon plates but ignore those for now)

It was an experience building something so small out of brass, and getting my arch enemy, Gibson style wagon suspension, to work to an acceptable degree.

post-21863-0-68996300-1440467866_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-68608200-1440467902_thumb.jpg

Yes bolt detail is missing, I forgot to punch those before adding the strapping. Oh well. Can barely be seen anyway.

And I found a new way of painting unweathered wood.

post-21863-0-41806700-1440467930_thumb.jpg

Light yet dirty, Im extremely pleased with the results.

And now for a bit of reflection as its been almost two years since I started 4mm scale modeling.

post-21863-0-24309300-1440467944_thumb.jpg

3 brake vans, 6 covered vans, a bogie open, 13 open wagons, two bolster wagons, a shunting tender, a re-liveried Hornby Pug, and a Jinty.

Now to decide what will come with me back to school as some wagons still need liveries, weathering, and detailing.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...