Great Central 11B

The general plan with the lining is to use HMRS LNER lining to do the tender and the frames, then use paint pens for the more awkward curves on the splashers and the cabsides.  I have used transfers for the boiler bands before but they never really convince me, as they lack the very subtle thickness of the bands- I use lengths of paper instead with the black line worked in with a ballpoint pen.  This I find also is very much easier to work into location.  This is how I lined out my D7 a few weeks ago:

DSCF2357_zps7a64ff1c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You've turned out quite a fetching little model there (although my loco green of choice came out of Swindon). I've always had a soft spot for GCR 4-4-0's and this might just inspire me to try something a bit different from my usual models. 

Dave

If you model the 'right bit' of the GWR, GC engine had running powers. They regularly ran to Oxford, for example. Indeed on one notable occasion (at least) a GC Atlantic went all the way to Plymouth! And of course there was also the GC&GW Joint line down London way.

The atlantic that went to Plymouth would be an interesting proposition to model.  The loco was lined out in white and black but the tender was off an 11B and line out in straw- according to John Quick's liveries book at least.  

Sadly too early (1906) for me to reasonably model (though it has to be said that I am increasingly tempted to go back a few years and model the GCR between 1920 and 1922).

As an experiment I've had a go at making my own lining transfers for the splashers and cabsides.  Mike Oxon covered this exhaustively in his pregrouping GWR blog and I found his posts on the subject invaluable.  

DSCF2381_zps7ee2a1c0.jpg

DSCF2382_zps7c224e11.jpg

Although I scanned the model into my laptop to scale (and I knew I had because I scanned it alongside a piece of squared paper, which I used a sort of scale rule), when it came to printing the printer interpretted 'print to size' as 'print to whatever you like', so they ended up 2 or 3mm too short.  I had to cut them in middle and then fudge the bit in between with paint- but out of this came another new technique for me, painting using the edge of a screwdriver to get a very fine line.  It just needs numberplates now.... 

If you model the 'right bit' of the GWR, GC engine had running powers. They regularly ran to Oxford, for example. Indeed on one notable occasion (at least) a GC Atlantic went all the way to Plymouth! And of course there was also the GC&GW Joint line down London way.

Unfortunately my current model construction is aimed more at a GWR/LNWR joint line. I'm about half way through the construction of an 'Experiment' 4-6-0 and a 'Scott' Atlantic. My GWR collection covers all periods up until Nationalisation but I'm slowly drifting more and more to the pre 1914 period as I love the earlier liveries on stock of that period. I also have my fictitious 'Glamorgan Railway' as a rival to the real railways of southern Wales - the livery is a mid blue to contrast with the TVR black, BR red and RR green.

I've always wondered how things would have been after the grouping if the GCR and GWR had been joined as per one of the original proposals. Could make for a very interesting "alternative history" layout. Just typing this now makes me start thinking about the livery and branding of the 'Great Central and Western Railway' stock and operations. Of course, with my personal bias, there would be a very heavy Paddington & Swindon influence. How about a rebuilt,tapered boiled 11B :jester:

It would have been interesting! And actually quite logical, as they were 'allied' companies. Imagine the GW having its own route to Manchester! Of course, engine naming might have been developed in new ways. For example, to go with Pershore Plum there could have been Grimsby Haddock. :beee: 

There would have been no loading gauge issues, so no need to put those ghastly flowerpot chimneys on GC engines.

I've always wondered how things would have been after the grouping if the GCR and GWR had been joined as per one of the original proposals. Could make for a very interesting "alternative history" layout. Just typing this now makes me start thinking about the livery and branding of the 'Great Central and Western Railway' stock and operations. Of course, with my personal bias, there would be a very heavy Paddington & Swindon influence. How about a rebuilt,tapered boiled 11B :jester:

Give it a go!  I'd imagine you could start with a 2P and swap out the boiler for one from the Dapol City of Truro, then alter the splashers and cab to match the 11B. 

James the model looks good, come on in to the pre grouping fold it is far more interesting to model. You ca do what i do and run in the different era by picking scenic items which o not look out of place in the 15 year time frame that that would need.

I am seriously considering it. 

I have some GC locos in LNER condition that I really wouldn't want to touch- that were either presents or limited editions or too expensive to risk damaging- but those aside the rest of my locos and stock are either kitbuilt, scratchbuilt or hackbashed.  It'd just take a while to get them all through the paintshop! 

Give it a go!  I'd imagine you could start with a 2P and swap out the boiler for one from the Dapol City of Truro, then alter the splashers and cab to match the 11B. 

Hi James,

I have about a dozen unbuilt Rosebud/Airfix/Dapol 'City' kits in my collection so I might have a crack at it. The biggest problem will be tracking down a suitable (by which I mean affordable) 2P donor model here in the antipodes. As Paddington would not have the same level of domination of the group that they had at the real grouping I've been thinking on a livery of Swindon green with black and white lining. Tender logo could be something like "CENTRAL & WESTERN" for express locos and GC&WR for everything else (assuming my group name had been adopted). I haven't made up my mind as yet to the finish for coaching stock. Choc & cream or varnished wood? Hard to decide as both are attractive finishes. I might even consider the MS&LR chocolate and French grey. As it is just a 'might have been' anything is possible so I'm open to suggestions! My fictitious Glamorgan Railway had about six different coach liveries trialed before I settled upon dark blue with white panels and teak drop lights.

Dave R 

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It would have been interesting! And actually quite logical, as they were 'allied' companies. Imagine the GW having its own route to Manchester! Of course, engine naming might have been developed in new ways. For example, to go with Pershore Plum there could have been Grimsby Haddock. :beee: 

There would have been no loading gauge issues, so no need to put those ghastly flowerpot chimneys on GC engines.

The GWR did have its own route to Manchester, (from cHester ending up at the old exchange station)

It was some twit called Nigel who messed up the looks of GCR locos in LNER days.

Archived