Invicta commission Bachmann to produce CCT

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Will the Invicta models (- made for Bachmann?) then be sold through Bachmann stockist such as Hattons? Or are the two separate concerns?

I pre-ordered two from Hattons back in the summer but haven't heard anything yet.

Dudley

Hi, Dudley. These models are exclusive to Invicta, and, as far as I know, will not be made available elsewhere. I do not know how you managed to pre-order two of them from Hattons - I do not recall seeing any Bachmann CCT's on the web-site. I hope that this is of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

There is a CCT Van listed on both Hattons and the Bachmann site 39-528.

Tried posting a link but cant get this to work in the editor, was having trouble posting yesterday as well so may be an issue with my computer.

The Bachmann Van is a different model completely

I have now received my trio of Invicta CCT's, and very nice they are too (especially the weathered one) - but once again, Bachmann have screwed up the couplings. The NEM mounts are a tad too far in, so standard Roco couplers will not engage. The longer Hornby versions work but leave a large gap which the whole point is to avoid. Using a standard coupler on one side and a Hornby version on the other reduces the gap a bit.

I would have thought that Bachmann, with their continental experience, would by now know where the NEM pocket should be. If anyone released a model in Germany with incorrectly sited NEM pockets, they would be blasted in the model railway press. The models would be seen as faulty due to non-compliance with standards, and Bachmann would have to replace the models, or at least hand out replacement drawbars (if they are easily replaced by the buyer).

Edited by Dogmatix

• RMweb Gold

I have now received my trio of Invicta CCT's, and very nice they are too (especially the weathered one) - but once again, Bachmann have screwed up the couplings. The NEM mounts are a tad too far in, so standard Roco couplers will not engage. The longer Hornby versions work but leave a large gap which the whole point is to avoid. Using a standard coupler on one side and a Hornby version on the other reduces the gap a bit.

I would have thought that Bachmann, with their continental experience, would by now know where the NEM pocket should be. If anyone released a model in Germany with incorrectly sited NEM pockets, they would be blasted in the model railway press. The models would be seen as faulty due to non-compliance with standards, and Bachmann would have to replace the models, or at least hand out replacement drawbars (if they are easily replaced by the buyer).

Doesn't surprise me, the majority of the rest of the underframe is a work of fiction, why should the couplers be any different?

Mike.

Thanks for the pictures Shedmaster.  I bought the Masterclass kit (only because it was a steal and I do like brass kits).  The instructions include a diagram of the brake gear set up.  I could scan and post here but I'm not certain of the copyright.  If anyone wants the sketch, PM me and I'll email it.

John

Feel free to post here if you want.

You can also look here for photos of the underframe on my CCT kit. Even this is an approximation in parts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishiggs/sets/72157603397695116/

Chris Higgs (aka Masterclass Models)

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The quick fix, if you want to use Hornby/Roco coupler heads, is to take a bit off the front of the pocket and use the Hornby one. You could add a bit to the back to compensate but it's easier to hold it in place with a drop of glue or drill and pin it.

I'm now resigned to "losing" Bachmann CCU mounts as a matter of course, either substituting other CCUs or, as in the case of this van (the TMC Horsebox is similar) just building up suitable mounting blocks and fitting ordinary Kadees (# 141 on the CCT and HB because of the deep "fishbelly" buffer beams).

This suits me as I use Roco heads within fixed sets and Kadees on the end(s) of anything that requires shunting. The newer style Bachmann CCU as used on the CCT also droops a bit and needs fiddling with to get a NEM-fit Kadee head to sit right. 

John

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't surprise me, the majority of the rest of the underframe is a work of fiction, why should the couplers be any different?

Mike.

It looks a little spurious in places I'll grant you, but compared to some RTR wagon underframes it's not *that* bad...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On the Invicta model the white stripes are yellow. Is this a mistake or were some actually yellow?

I certainly recall them as being yellow so perhaps those on the van illustrated have faded.

My maroon pair have entered traffic here after a decent weathering and are looking good in the mixed parcels rake.

• Like 1

Feel free to post here if you want.

You can also look here for photos of the underframe on my CCT kit. Even this is an approximation in parts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishiggs/sets/72157603397695116/

Chris Higgs (aka Masterclass Models)

Sorry for the late reply Chris.  The CCT is currently not in my era but it does look tasty.   I particularly like underframe detail - those pictures in the flickr link will be incredibly useful, I wish more kit makers would do things like that.  One of these days I'll get involved in a BR layout and build it.

Cheers, John

John

I certainly recall them as being yellow so perhaps those on the van illustrated have faded.

My maroon pair have entered traffic here after a decent weathering and are looking good in the mixed parcels rake.

Rick, the Hornby version are in white incidentally. Hope you enjoyed your trip back to Englandshire!

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Jim.  

Perhaps there were in fact two variants and photographic evidence will emerge to support that.

Englandshire was a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable time.   I'm still editing the thousands of photos I took but hope to have a gallery up within a week from now.  I'll  be back next April as well for a major family event, a wedding photography shoot for friends and the RMW/SWAG annual beano at Staplegrove all in the diary.

• 11 months later...

Thank you Jim.  

Perhaps there were in fact two variants and photographic evidence will emerge to support that.

Englandshire was a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable time.   I'm still editing the thousands of photos I took but hope to have a gallery up within a week from now.  I'll  be back next April as well for a major family event, a wedding photography shoot for friends and the RMW/SWAG annual beano at Staplegrove all in the diary.

Very late reply, but these look yellow to me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21611052@N02/3650492465

So perhaps they did come in both yellow and white.

EDIT: or perhaps they are white, and its just the grim Yorkshire day?

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 1 year later...