Invicta commission Bachmann to produce CCT

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Further to post 119. My Maroon one arrived just over an hour ago.

They've made a very nice job of it; I've spent many hours detailing Lima ones and making new chassis for them - it's way better than my best attempt!

The only fault I can find is Bachmann's usual loose approximation of the NEM 362 standard. The close-coupling unit places the pocket about 1mm too low and too short for the #18 coupler head (which is usually "right" if the pocket is correctly aligned) and a tad too long for the #19.

As with my TMC Horse boxes, it'll be easier to take the CCUs off and fit #141s than try to correct it. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Check your CCTs!

I received from Kerry and Vernon at Invicta 2 of the 3 CCTs which I had ordered one blue and one maroon with a blue weathered example to follow, unfortunately the blue one has it's foot boards and steps missing from under all 4 sets of doors, so I have emailed Invicta to find out how to proceed to rectify this.

On checking back at the pictures on here I see that the steps and footboards are missing from the 2 blues ones that Paul showed in post # 116 but the maroon one pictured in post # 122 has them in place as is the case with my maroon CCT.

This is not the first time I have had parts missing from Bachmann wagons as I have a BR standard brake van with one set of brake shoes missing, Bachmann were unable to supply these parts for me to fit.

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find that it is correct for the blue ones not to have step boards and steps. Certainly with the Mk1 GUVs the footboards were removed to allow the carriage of BRUTE trolleys, I assume that CCTs were the same. There is only 1 blue one with step boards among Paul Bartlett's photo collection http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct .

I think you will find that it is correct for the blue ones not to have step boards and steps. Certainly with the Mk1 GUVs the footboards were removed to allow the carriage of BRUTE trolleys, I assume that CCTs were the same. There is only 1 blue one with step boards among Paul Bartlett's photo collection http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct .

I reckon you're right.  NPCCS received blue relatively slowly compared with passenger vehicles, so that one snapped in July '68 (W94559) with steps was probably a rarity.

That may influence my order in the morning, maybe I should go for a 4:1 ratio maroon: blue for Summer '68.  And just put up with the lack of steps.

EDIT: BRUTE traffic started on the Western in '64, which had a decent allocation of CCTs, so presumably a good many vans lost their steps in maroon too.

Edited by 'CHARD

Yes I have just come to the same conclusion Adrian thanks for pointing that out it appears I have been a bit hasty. Apology sent to Kerry and Vernon.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst molesting the chassis of my maroon CCT this afternoon, one footboard came loose (still attached but floppy).

I quickly fixed it by running a little superglue into the underside of the joint with a cocktail stick but, if anyone else is contemplating additional work on these models, be aware that that some footboards seem to be more firmly attached than others and take care not to lose any. 

I removed the CCUs/NEM pockets provided and mine now has a pair of old #21 Kadees recycled from a scrapped wagon fitted in new draft boxes. The sports wheels are in the spares box and a set of my preferred Gibsons reign in their stead. It looks great and I'll fit the additional detail bits tomorrow if I get the chance. 

John

• RMweb Gold

I reckon you're right.  NPCCS received blue relatively slowly compared with passenger vehicles, so that one snapped in July '68 (W94559) with steps was probably a rarity.

That may influence my order in the morning, maybe I should go for a 4:1 ratio maroon: blue for Summer '68.  And just put up with the lack of steps.

EDIT: BRUTE traffic started on the Western in '64, which had a decent allocation of CCTs, so presumably a good many vans lost their steps in maroon too.

The Western was inclined to repaint its own parvans relatively more quickly than other parts of the network (probably part of keeping Swindon Carriage Shop in work?) but I don't know if this extended to CCTs although I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Removing the footsteps without sending a van to the C&W/shops was quite easy and I saw it done on several occasions although there was usually some of it left attached - you just unloaded BRUTES without using a bridging board ;) 

• Like 1

Does it look P4able?

Unfortunately it looks to be a largish task. The wheelsets are on 26 mm axles, which looks promising, but the axleguards/boxes are very thick with deep bearing recesses, to get P4 wheels in they need to be ones with proper narrow wheels, eg Exactoscale, 2mm wide wheels won't go in. To get the P4 wheelsets in reasonably easily you need to put a vee notch lead in to the bearing to minimise the force you have to apply to splay out the axleboxes. Then the wheels don't run freely as the brake shoes rub on the flanges. My efforts on paring away offending plastic etc have not yet resulted in free running wheels, should get there in the end but the length of wheelbase really means that equalising or springing is going to be needed so I put it on hold while I think about that. The solebars are to close together to fit an etched W-iron in between and a lot of carving and remedial action would be needed. I'm coming round to the view that an inside bearing spring system may be the best way.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Keith - useful info, haven't had time to look at mine in detail yet, but I think I'm going to keep mine for the OO layouts and convert my weathered Hornby maroon one to P4, and replace the Wills flushglaze with Laserglaze and generally improve the detail, and fit springing as per my previous Lima blue one.

Hi all, Good Morning,

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share some pics with you of the Stewarts Lane CCT, for which the new Bachmann model will be an excellent model to add to my project. There seems to be lots of stuff in the pipeline from the  main manufacturers at the moment that is perfect for my layout.....keep it up please !

This particular one spent many years at 'The Lane' as an internal user stores vehicle, as seen here.

post-7088-0-83984400-1409997377_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-75079500-1409997412.jpg

post-7088-0-29936600-1409997427.jpg

post-7088-0-60383400-1409997443_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-17021000-1409997492_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-87839600-1409997472_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-00266500-1409997509_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-57576500-1409997522_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-72443700-1409997531.jpg

post-7088-0-91963800-1409997539.jpg

post-7088-0-40592700-1409997549.jpg

I hope these are at least a little helpful to some of you ?

Many Thanks and KIndest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, Good Morning,

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share some pics with you of the Stewarts Lane CCT, for which the new Bachmann model will be an excellent model to add to my project. There seems to be lots of stuff in the pipeline from the  main manufacturers at the moment that is perfect for my layout.....keep it up please !

This particular one spent many years at 'The Lane' as an internal user stores vehicle, as seen here.

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (1).jpg

attachicon.gif083637 of Stewarts Lane (6).JPG

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (11).JPG

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (12).jpg

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (13).jpg

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (14).jpg

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (15).jpg

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (16).jpg

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (17).JPG

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (18).JPG

attachicon.gif94181 of Stewarts Lane (19).JPG

I hope these are at least a little helpful to some of you ?

Many Thanks and KIndest Regards,

Shed.

Don't suppose you took any underside shots did you?

The Bachmann undergubbins is woeful.

TIA.

Mike.

Don't suppose you took any underside shots did you?

The Bachmann undergubbins is woeful.

TIA.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Sorry, this is all I have of this CCT, taken under the old regime of just taking as many pics as I could, with no regard for the real detail of anything.

My one is en-route here as we speak, so looking forward to this.....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

Invicta are managing this admirably; I ratified and extended my order yesterday lunchtime, and the pre-ordered portion (3 maroon, 2 blue) arrived this morning.  

First impressions are that I was well advised to move my Lima fleet on a couple of years back, when these were first mooted.  No layout as such to pose them on at present, but I'm delighted with the effort that has gone into producing this very convincing little model, and the efficiency of getting it to market.  Well done to all concerned.

• RMweb Gold

Invicta are managing this admirably; I ratified and extended my order yesterday lunchtime, and the pre-ordered portion (3 maroon, 2 blue) arrived this morning.  

First impressions are that I was well advised to move my Lima fleet on a couple of years back, when these were first mooted.  No layout as such to pose them on at present, but I'm delighted with the effort that has gone into producing this very convincing little model, and the efficiency of getting it to market.  Well done to all concerned.

Anyone else chucking out their babies with the bathwater, I can give Lima CCT's a good home.

Mike. (RSPCLC)

Thanks for the pictures Shedmaster.  I bought the Masterclass kit (only because it was a steal and I do like brass kits).  The instructions include a diagram of the brake gear set up.  I could scan and post here but I'm not certain of the copyright.  If anyone wants the sketch, PM me and I'll email it.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else chucking out their babies with the bathwater, I can give Lima CCT's a good home.

Mike. (RSPCLC)

I think I might have some somewhere - MIB of course and original Hornby Lima kitbuilt Code A (as they might be described by one of the favourites on a thread in this forum ;)

I suppose I've got to start looking for them?

• RMweb Gold

I think I might have some somewhere - MIB of course and original Hornby Lima kitbuilt Code A (as they might be described by one of the favourites on a thread in this forum ;)

I suppose I've got to start looking for them?

FYI Mike.

I don't pay his prices :nono:

You've got me worried now :jester:

Mike.