Sheffield (Midlands Station Layout)

Sheffield Midlands

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow managed to miss this thread.

Your layout is set 40/50 years too late for me, that was my spotting era, plenty of pics taken, summer saturdays, several signalboxes, loco stabling, station pilots both jockos and Brush 2's, jumpers for goalposts etc etc!!!

Will now be paying attention.

Mike.

Any photos all welcome, no matter what the era is. Helps identify what things were etc.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm a bit late in this, but welcome to Canada! I remember well waiting for the container to arrive into the CPR freight yard in Calgary and racing up to the Canada Customs office from Fernie at 5am to make sure I could get all the paperwork done in time.

I'm on Vancouver Island now, but I may be in Calgary at some point in the summer, I'll give you a shout if you're around.

Thanks JCL - been here 3 and a half years now but taken a while to get started with everything but well under way with stage 1. Supposed to be taking it to Toronto in May but suspect it won’t be ready.

Vancouver Island is beautiful! Calgary is very white and cold at the moment but due to warm up next week. Give me a shout if you visit Calgary.

Nice station throat- are they short radius points? Will you have any issues running stock over them?

All turnouts are large radius apart from the 2 feeding the crossing which I think are the ones you mean. These 2 short radius have been somewhat modified (you can tell by how close the diamond is to their frogs). The entire crossing including the double slip is one unit with no joins apart from insulation gaps). In real life, they serve Platforms 3 and 4 with local DMU services (153, 156, etc) and have a 15mph speed limit. On the model, even a stiff old class 66 will fly over them at a scale 60mph!

All turnouts are large radius apart from the 2 feeding the crossing which I think are the ones you mean. These 2 short radius have been somewhat modified (you can tell by how close the diamond is to their frogs). The entire crossing including the double slip is one unit with no joins apart from insulation gaps). In real life, they serve Platforms 3 and 4 with local DMU services (153, 156, etc) and have a 15mph speed limit. On the model, even a stiff old class 66 will fly over them at a scale 60mph!

Cheers that's the ones I was referring to the track plan looks great!

• RMweb Gold

Opinions please..... Top or bottom?

Bottom plus for looks. The plus is to shorter the drive stretcher: cut off the dimpled end level with the outside of the rail (with the switch rail ‘open’ that side). It’s what I will be doing (but haven’t done yet).

Paul.

Looking very good. I have had plans to build the station myself since I was about 18 years old. Never got around to it and probably wont now but its great to see someone else taking on the mantle!!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Its the kinky folded switch rails for me though. I have an ocd about them that I cannot get around. Never tried it but could the whole switch rails be removed and replaced by proper planed rail? Bit more work but would look better I reckon.

Bottom plus for looks. The plus is to shorter the drive stretcher: cut off the dimpled end level with the outside of the rail (with the switch rail ‘open’ that side). It’s what I will be doing (but haven’t done yet).

Paul.

Those driver bars will be shortened when they make it to the layout - one side at least anyway as I am putting in the dummy point motors too. Have been toying with the idea of removing that bar and replacing with rods like the real thing.

Its the kinky folded switch rails for me though. I have an ocd about them that I cannot get around. Never tried it but could the whole switch rails be removed and replaced by proper planed rail? Bit more work but would look better I reckon.

It’s on the list of things to do but I have 50 points installed and another 30 odd to go. That will be something for another day! The guard rails can be scalpelled off and finished off with a dremel. Doesn’t take long and then the planes versions can go in. The scissor crossing at Sheffield has vast guard rails that I intend to put in eventually.

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good. I have had plans to build the station myself since I was about 18 years old. Never got around to it and probably wont now but its great to see someone else taking on the mantle!!

Hi

I had a go around 35 years ago and got as far as platforms 5 - 8 in a 15ft x 10ft shed. No photos unfortunately.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Sttting the mammoth wiring of the various Block monitors and signal controls today. I’m using the LDT block monitors that arrived from Germany yesterday. Here are the 6 RM-GB-8-N’s that cover the station boards alone attached to their hinged board under the station.

Each one monitors 8 blocks for current draw and then registers this on my ECoS (compatible with almost all other DCC systems) which in turn transfers to iTrain (laptop software) giving me full loco/train ID and it’s location (https://www.ldt-infocenter.com). All blocks outside of the station itself are scale lengths of 1,000m in line with British Railway standards with each having up to 183 of track beyond the signal locations for overshoot.

post-22273-0-64151600-1516819730_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Another house move but this time to an owned house again at last with a huge basement!

Abandoned the Peco route to return to 100% handbuilt track after working out logistics to get components over from the UK to Canada! Spent today building the first turnout...... number 753 which is located at the south end of the station feeding Platform 8. It is a CV8 constructed from Colin Craig components with sleepers from DCC Concepts on a template from Templot. Bit of adaptation and fiddling due to slight differences in sleeper sizes, Templot v Colin Craig but I’ve ended up with this prior to giving it a thorough clean of flux.

Couple of wonky sleepers that I will address as I work along supergluing millions of cosmetic pewter chairs but apart from these and a few other cosmetic additions, here it is in all its 37cm (14.5 inch) glory....complete with stretcher bars. The massive tie bar is only temporary (testing to see which locos and rolling stock have fat wheels to determine the flangeway) and will be removed.

post-22273-0-43809800-1546851774_thumb.jpegpost-22273-0-88393000-1546851804_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Sheffield Midlands
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

The jigsaw puzzle style baseboards have proved a resounding success so far! Having drawn the entire layout out in AutoCAD (tight down to each lamp post!), I sent the baseboard pattern off to be CNCed from 1/2” ply. Once cut, I have begun adding the 90mm reinforced sides to each board. 

6.5 boards complete for the south end of the station....9.5 to go to reach the north end tunnel portals!

Plenty more photos and progress is added to my dedicated Facebook page - please visit, Like and favourite to get notified of further progress. https://www.facebook.com/sheffieldmidlands/

A1C72C98-6490-496C-97E6-8FB56808BF74.jpeg

4A019416-56B9-4999-909C-82DCC43E1683.jpeg

2A8C2853-9B56-42DB-AE1D-AE760EA962F8.jpeg

Edited by Sheffield Midlands
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Looking good.

Are the pictures accessible elsewhere?, some of us don't do Facebook!

Mike.

You should be able to view the pictures on Facebook unless they’ve clamped that security down.

im working on a website too but carpentry and joinery have taken presidency! Quite a lot of Model Railway stuff going on across Facebook too.

ive added an image of the most recent AutoCAD image below:

layout measures 10m (33ft) x 1.8m (6ft) excluding the storage yard (one day this will become Etches Park MPD).

FC2E5D5A-B182-4304-83D8-E21E25ACAAFD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, d winpenny said:

Looking great those jigsaw boards are a different approach to anything else I've seen

david

Thanks David! I am doing my utmost to make sure there are no ugly (in my opinion) join lines running across the layout and the scale pointwork also won’t allow it. As I plan to return to the UK one day, it also has to be fully portable for up to a 4,600 mile trip.

The joints are going to disappear under concrete cable trunking, platforms etc.