Uckfield - The Oxted Line.

Jack00

Welcome to my new project.

Which will be keeping me quiet for a bit now St.Agnes is almost finished.

I've chosen to create Uckfield, East Sussex, how it was in 1990 before the new platform was built the other side of the level crossing, 55yards away from the original station. Due to traffic congestion it was decided to close the now terminus station and move to the other side of the crossing which would eliminate the problem.

The Original station, served the line which continued to the Eastbourne and Brighton junction.

Built in 1868, the building was typical of the line, almost identical to others along the branch, which I will scratch build, along with the signal box and platforms.

The crossing gates spanned the road which led into the town, and outbound traffic. The signal box was the other side of the crossing. Also a footbridge spanned the 2 lines for passengers to cross over from platform to platform.

At the time I intend to replicate, 205 and 207 DEMU thumpers worked the line. Normally in BR blue & grey.

Network SouthEast were the train operating company 'TOC'. The typical RED station furniture and advertising could be seen.

The build: im doing it in 4mm. Using C&L track with no Turnouts so I can achieve a better look.

The size of the layout will be 8ft x 2ft. Plus a suitable fiddle yard on the right end of the layout.

The baseboards are half built in my Railway Room, but ran out of time.

So progress will resume soon. Slow and steady.

Now, I got myself a belated Christmas present to myself, a Thumper!

Which in due course will be sound chipped using SWD. Its in Connex livery but it will fit in for now.

I will add loads of pictures soon. Including a sketch of the plan.

And progress reports.

post-13209-0-28673300-1394569816_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-77993100-1394569853_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jack

• Like 9

Hi JackOO,

When my father worked at Uckfield he acquired from BR the 1:480 scale plan of the station layout. Also included were scale drawings of the main buildings on the Down platform (also the one on the Up, but this was gone by 1990). Sadly the goods shed and signal box were not included. Would a scan of these be useful to you? I only have the track layout scanned so far. A great little station and I loved listening to the thumpers depart as I stood on the footbridge.

Peter

Hello there Peter.

That would be very kind of you, and I would greatly appreciate that, thankyou!

As you say Thumpers are loud old dogs, and I can't wait to get mine sound chipped.

All the best

Jack

Jack, what are you doing? stealing my thunder of third rail, hahhaha Sounds like a good plan, I only went to Uckfield once to deliver a car to a Customer, never did understand the set up but now I do.

As for the Thumper, I want a Blue / Grey but I don't know if there will be any more, I don't want a Connex as my line is a bit to far West into AMPSHER.

Good luck with the build and lets see some more pics soon please.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Andy, haha! Luckily no 3rd rail on this one, just some noisy diesels.

Blue and grey would be great, or even NSE. But Connex was a better choice for me than green. Will be sure to add some progress shots Andy, some scratch built NSE furniture too!!

Hi there Pete_mcfarlane, upto 1990 I should have said, anything over that and I would just be modelling an overgrown platform, and rusty rails.

Cromptons would be high on the agenda, have a Heljan one on the workbench now, ready for a respray, chip and detailing.

I'll add pictures of the 33.

Cheers

Jack

Edit for spelling

Edited by Jack00
  • Like 2

Jack, what are you doing? stealing my thunder of third rail, hahhaha Sounds like a good plan, I only went to Uckfield once to deliver a car to a Customer, never did understand the set up but now I do.

As for the Thumper, I want a Blue / Grey but I don't know if there will be any more, I don't want a Connex as my line is a bit to far West into AMPSHER.

Good luck with the build and lets see some more pics soon please.

So, it was you............. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsit-g18GSg

Edited by David Todd

If you don't mind me asking, why 1990? A few years earlier and you could have class 33 loco hauled trains as well as the Thumpers.

That's a good point Pete, and what about some 73's there must have been some of them about the area, possibly on Engineers Trains.

• Like 2

That's a good point Pete, and what about some 73's there must have been some of them about the area, possibly on Engineers Trains.

Yeah, I remember sitting at Crowborough on a Sunday ballast years ago with a pair of EDs. The only reason I remember is because one of them caught fire... Nice idea for a layout by the way. I'm particularly fond of the line and knew it well. I started a thread about the Uckfield line ages ago:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65958-uckfield-branch/

Some of the stuff in there might be useful to you. Good luck with this Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was younger My local station was Upper Warlingham so I used to travel down towards Uckfield regularly on the Thumpers. I could hear the Thumpers from my bedroom. I miss hearing them.

My first exhibition layout was a model of Eridge. It went to its first show around 1980. There is now a much better version been built by others.

I have quite a few photos of suck field in the mid 1980's before they moved the station if you are interested.

Look forward to seeing the progress on the layout.

LifeBoatMan, so ED's ran on the line, thats another loco for my workbench as I am fascinated by them.

And thanks for posting the link, I did type Uckfield Into RMwebs' search bar and found your very interesting topic.

Ian, the Thumpers are a real obsession of mine! Eridge was my original idea, at first, but Uckfield stood out for me.

And the photos would be fantastic if you would, thanks! It would help alot.

All the best

Jack

• Like 1

LifeBoatMan, so ED's ran on the line, thats another loco for my workbench as I am fascinated by them.

And thanks for posting the link, I did type Uckfield Into RMwebs' search bar and found your very interesting topic.

Ian, the Thumpers are a real obsession of mine! Eridge was my original idea, at first, but Uckfield stood out for me.

And the photos would be fantastic if you would, thanks! It would help alot.

All the best

Jack

I only ever remember EDs used in pairs on engineering trains as they were a little gutless on diesel to say the least. You would obviously (in my era and earlier) have seen Cromptons much more often, but you're right, to have even the slightest excuse to run one or two on a layout is often the only excuse needed!

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few shots from 1985

The signal box when it was still in use guarding the road crossing etc.

post-1557-0-57278400-1394614541_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-28379700-1394614554_thumb.jpg

This one was taken from the footbridge.

post-1557-0-92677700-1394614586_thumb.jpg

From under the footbridge looking South

post-1557-0-99651100-1394614622_thumb.jpg

From just south of the platforms where there was a small parking area so accessible to the public. The units used to come into the down platform then once empty, travel south to reverse then come into the up platform before passengers could get back on.

post-1557-0-53270200-1394614672_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-90793300-1394614733_thumb.jpg

More to follow

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

Thanks for posting those images, along with the detailed description. Which will help me alot with the planning.

Will be sure to add in the goods line with the overgrown trackbed.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 1

My first exhibition layout was a model of Eridge. It went to its first show around 1980. There is now a much better version been built by others.

Yet another Eridge!  Do you have any photos of yours, I'd be interested to see them.  Our version (Mk2) is still progressing although we have just had to vacate our permanent premises of 16 years and it's now in storage in one of the team's garages http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/35-eridge-mk-2-rebuild-of-a-p4-layout/ .  We are hoping it might be in a condition to exhibit in a year or so.

Eridge was my original idea, at first, but Uckfield stood out for me.

Eridge is a popular choice, I know of at least 5 versions now!  Good luck with Uckfield, although our time period (50s/early 60s) is a bit before yours.

• Like 1

A quick mock-up looking south.

post-13209-0-39901800-1394625103_thumb.jpg

And an overall shot of the baseboards,

Just finished them off and strengthened them. They'll need a backing board all the way round to help with the landscaping.

After looking at the photos of the thumpers crossing over to the departures platform, I think operational it will be more interesting than just an "up down" system.

post-13209-0-22394800-1394625178_thumb.jpg

Jack

• Like 2