Class 40s working onto the Western Region Circ 1960s

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

" know we're veering off topic now but regarding early blue Warships - the first to appear were D831 in blue / small panels and D864 in blue / full yellow ends in November '66"

Many thnks for this Gem, duly added to my data base!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thread, I know I'm veering slightly off topic but some observations from the mid/late 1970s.

Class 40 sightings in Bristol were incredibly rare, only a few examples pressed into service on NE/SW trains, and then turned round immediately at Temple Meads. Class 40s at Severn Tunnel Junction and Gloucester were more common, and many made their way via Abergavenny and the mid wales route.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thread, I know I'm veering slightly off topic but some observations from the mid/late 1970s.

Class 40 sightings in Bristol were incredibly rare, only a few examples pressed into service on NE/SW trains, and then turned round immediately at Temple Meads. Class 40s at Severn Tunnel Junction and Gloucester were more common, and many made their way via Abergavenny and the mid wales route.

Neil

Definitely regulars at STJ in the early half of the 1970s.

Definitely regulars at STJ in the early half of the 1970s.

Yes, and a 40 ventured as far as Cardiff on Aug 3rd 1984. I would attach a photo of it, because I took one - but like a number of my films of the period, it had jammed in the camera and it was only when I got to no. 37 or 38 and it still seemed easy to wind on, that I realised the camera had a problem.

I found it hard to cope with life for a few weeks after that.

Anyway, it was 40047 and brought a short train of large loco parts on lowmacs, but the actual items were sheeted over so not sure what they were. Presumably the destination was Canton depot, but I don't know as I was on my way to Swindon and had jumped off the train to take the photo when I heard the whistling in the distance, and had to get back on sharpish before it left without me.

40047 was on Severn Tunnel Junction when I returned later in the day.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifD338 Oxford July 1965.jpg

Have now found my b&w shot of an EE Type 4 at Oxford in July 1965, together with a shot I took of one in May1968. I think 3V04 was the 'Blisworth Parcels' but can't be positive about that.

attachicon.gifD384 Oxford May 68 Slide 220.jpg

BV

Many many thanks for taking the time to find this photo of D338 at Oxford July 1965,it now means l can add a Heljan EE 4 (Pity its not  the Disc Head code version) to my shopping list, Her in doors is going to murder me if she finds my list!!

One happy bunny

ayrshire

• RMweb Premium

Well beyond the 60s, but on 1 May 1982, 40004 worked from Banbury into Paddington and then the 11.50 Paddington - Birmingham New Street. I've seen lots of photos, but the only one I can find on a quick search is this one of the train at Leamington Spa http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/5824881906/

• 2 weeks later...

Great shot of the 40 at Oxford! That gives me an excuse for one on my layout which is based in there...

3V04, at least in the 1963/64 WTT i have to hand was the 04:45 Bletchley-Oxford Parcels. The 14:40 Blisworth-Reading, which passed Oxford at 15:58, was 3V02. 

I wonder what the 40 was booked to do next? If indeed it came over on the 04:45 Bletchley, i would have expected the balancing working to be 3E27, 06:40 Oxford-Cambridge Parcels?

I can't see a balancing working for the Blisworth, and as it ran all the way to Reading with an 'LMR engine and guard throughout' (according to the WTT) it would seem unlikely that the 40 has been taken off that train at Oxford. I would have suggested that it was returning light to the LMR, but it is on the Up Main ie southbound line.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks I remember copping both D200 and D5400 at Worcester in the late 60s on the lunch time 8V79 Bescot - Severn Tunnel Junction freight at Worcester so I would guess both went to Gloucester - although according to my WTT the train was booked for a crew change at both Worcester and Gloucester and theoretically crews from neither of these depots were trained on this traction unless they had transferred in so locos could have been changed at either yard And then there's always the Carlisle - Swindon milk.... also from the MIAC web site http://www.miac.org.uk/class40.html#br40032 along with 308 - and I also remember D314 and D373 at Worcester in the late 60s so most definitely on the Western... There was also this previous discussion on here re 27s at Gloucester but unfortunately fotopic is no more so the links don't work ...but this is one of the fantastic pictures that appeared https://www.flickr.com/photos/26458066@N03/13450958893/in/photolist-muBFsn-9unGux-9Ljun7-9REebj-9QDXzj-d8Qhqo-fyjQ8Z-9rKK7U-fyz6HG-dbbgry-af7aMA-af4onr-du22wE-ktmXSc-8NA4i9-af75hE-bHcXP8-azV2cR-8NqTRR-dyUScq-cFgK8L-cvTVTY-eWSTFA-kG8x6V-dbYW1B-dyUMeW-dtZveu-cvTUPh-b8f5RT-9Sou2w-9SkBmX-9S6PUN-9S3VaX-9S3V88-boQm2G-dZe6J2-9J95RY-9HgE6T-agFPyF-9FCaYL And it has also been suggested this is a Gloucester stopper... https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/7946134204/ 27s disappeared by 1970 as they all went up to Scotland - but they did re-appear later https://www.flickr.com/photos/83242470@N00/7955931850/ Cheers Phil

Yes, and a 40 ventured as far as Cardiff on Aug 3rd 1984. I would attach a photo of it, because I took one - but like a number of my films of the period, it had jammed in the camera and it was only when I got to no. 37 or 38 and it still seemed easy to wind on, that I realised the camera had a problem.

I found it hard to cope with life for a few weeks after that.

Anyway, it was 40047 and brought a short train of large loco parts on lowmacs, but the actual items were sheeted over so not sure what they were. Presumably the destination was Canton depot, but I don't know as I was on my way to Swindon and had jumped off the train to take the photo when I heard the whistling in the distance, and had to get back on sharpish before it left without me.

40047 was on Severn Tunnel Junction when I returned later in the day.

First Cl.40 I recall seeing at Cardiff was D374, on the blocks outside the servicing shed at Canton, Saturday 2nd. October, 1971 - rushed back from seeing 6000 K.G.V. on the 'Return to Steam' special at STJ just to see the 'bucket on Canton'

For several years in the early 70s there was a daily, winter dated Guide Bridge - Cardiff parcels that started running from about Halloween and finished on/about Christmas Eve.

This would bring the most varied power to Cardiff, Cl.40s,  D05 allocated Cl.24s, D09 allocated Cl.25s - you never knew what to expect until it rolled into No.4

e.g.

Thursday 2nd. November, 1972 - Cl.40, 369

Friday 3rd. November, 1972 - Cl.40, 396

Saturday 4th. November, 1972 - Cl.40, 203

Saturday 11th. November, 1972 - Cl.25, 5246

In later years 40s became more common at Cardiff, and further west, but were never regulars.

In 1982 one worked a Hollinswood - Cardiff  'Popex' in connection with a Papal Mass at Coopers Field, Cardiff and a R.C. Youth Festival held at Ninian Park - unfortunately I had to work that day and missed all the specials - but nearly got 'creamed' by the 'Popemobile' as it ran light (or ECS)  after dropping off the Pontiff at Coopers Field !!

During July 1987 40122 (aka The Green Goddess) worked the Crewe - Cardiff - Crewe portion of the daily Holyhead - Cardiff service several times in one week, in place of the usual Cl.47.

I'll have to find my photos.

Brian R

Archived