Couplers in N - is the answer clear?

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The traditional N Gauge "Rapido" coupler has its critics (and I'm one of them) but it does work at holding fixed rakes together over uneven track and remains - for the time being at least - the de facto standard for most N-gaugers.

The main problem is that it looks awful, and over the years it has been suggested on several occasions that one simple improvement might be to mould the coupler in clear, rather than black, plastic.

Mathieson models have tried this on their private owner wagons, and it seems to have been fairly well received, but their models do not feature standard NEM pockets. 

So, as an experiment, I have had a some of our ATM NEM couplers in standard and short lengths moulded in clear.  I'd be interested in feedback, and any indications of interest before deciding whether to go ahead with a full batch.  The price would be broadly similar to existing Rapido couplers.

The couplers from left to right:  Clear short length, black standard length, clear standard length.

post-420-0-43632900-1394632536_thumb.jpg

Standard length on Farish BZA - modified and unmodified for comparison.

post-420-0-42667200-1394632586_thumb.jpg

On Farish autoballasters - although not the normal viewing angle, the camouflaging effect from lower down seems even more pronounced.

post-420-0-69303900-1394632610_thumb.jpg

Also on 4-wheel wagons - here Farish PCAs.

post-420-0-40151900-1394632624_thumb.jpg

Here I have placed them on Kato unitrack - the couplers do catch the light a little more, but I think this effect will be less pronounced when the models are moving.

post-420-0-87952700-1394632630_thumb.jpg

Out of the box HYA coal hoppers:

post-420-0-04325100-1394632661_thumb.jpg

Farish JGA bogie wagons - does it work as well with weathered models?

post-420-0-48280500-1394632678_thumb.jpg

Also, I have had some T-shank short-length couplers trialled - here fitted to Farish HTA hoppers that do not have NEM pockets:

post-420-0-39180200-1394632644_thumb.jpg

The short shank NEM version also works well to close up the gap on coaching stock such as the London Midland Desiro:

post-420-0-96957300-1394632597_thumb.jpg

What do people think?  Is the light worth the candle with this?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm not a fan of Rapidos (and since I model North American N, I use Microtrains and euuivalents), but those do look good, particularly the short-shank ones on the Desiro. Do the short-shank couplers have a radius limit (aside fron the obvious one when the stock has buffers)?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I agree they are far less intrusive than the black rapidos, from a distance (perhaps not helped by the light background) it does look like the wagons just have empty space between them - which looks odd. My mind is telling me there should be something coupling the wagons, but my eye is usggesting there isn't. Seeing the tankers on the track, oddly they may run the risk of being more pronounced as they have an opaque quality that stands out against the darker track.

Hi Ben.

This to me is the best compromise for this type of coupling and would be of interest to me in both long and short versions. The short version especially as the Farish version has too small a diameter of side pin, which means that they do no lock into the box. I have had to use their long version so that the coupling doesn't pull out under very little load.  A very good idea that I hope comes to fruition.

Regards

Howard Staniforth.

Whilst I agree they are far less intrusive than the black rapidos, from a distance (perhaps not helped by the light background) it does look like the wagons just have empty space between them - which looks odd. My mind is telling me there should be something coupling the wagons, but my eye is usggesting there isn't. Seeing the tankers on the track, oddly they may run the risk of being more pronounced as they have an opaque quality that stands out against the darker track.

this

unless you fit some pipework or cables fooling the eye this way makes you think the vehicles are following each other purely by some kind of magnetism.  on the tanks for example 3 links would be the ideal but probably not practical in 2mm.

I would stick with the black.  i would favour a smaller far less intrusive magnetic coupler bar of some description.......hand of god required for shunting moves but there will always be compromises in N.

I'm sure that for some people they will be acceptable but not for me. In operation the ones I've seen seem to catch to light (due to it being reflected by the many flat surfaces of the coupler shape and prismatic distortion of the triangular parts) and can shine/wink like a jewel or flashing light which draws attention to them.

Personally I think a matt black finish would be better than the shiny/gloss black finish that most are currently supplied in.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

They do look good and the non NEM would would be very useful even though I have generally gone with Dapol Easi Shunts and the Dapol fixed knuckle on rakes of wagons / coaches where they have NEM pockets.

As others have said the clear ones do look a little odd making the train look disjointed. However it would be very easy for individuals to paint a thin black line on each so that when coupled up it would give the impression of the screw / three link connected to the next wagon.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Some very helpful feedback - thanks.

1). The invisible couplers. I think this is a fair point. Certainly some of the photos rather exaggerate just how invisible they become, but even so I can see that a simple painted line across the top, or some form of cosmetic pipe work, could be desirable. Perhaps an etched "pipe" that is sprayed black then glued to the outer vertical side of the coupler? I suspect this would have to be an aftermarket add, and while good in principle may be the sort of thing that after fitting to one or two wagons the modeller gives up on.... Certainly worth a try though.

2). Matt finish. Moulding parts with a Matt finish is tricky as the metal that forms the mould has to be rougher, which in turn creats a tendency for the part to stick in the tool. Any mould maker will tell you that is a recipe for trouble. Spraying the parts with Matt varnish should be straightforward enough (I've just started using a rather good Matt acrylic varnish aerosol from Halfords); this would work for couplers moulded in either black or clear.

3). Pale grey. I think Rapidos are available from Japan in pale grey - albeit without the NEM socket - do they look better?

Based on comments so far I may well get some more moulded on a trial basis - if so I will say here.

Cheers

Ben.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

they look quite good, the blue circle tanks are especially fine looking.

think i would be tempted if i were to use them to paint the shanks and hook tips,  to look like a dotted or solid line though, as the wagons now look like they are drawn along by magic....

"there is just no pleasing some people, is there!!!!" :threaten:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Adrian,

Yes, the short shank couplers do have a limit but it depends on the length of the vehicle, the position of the bogies and the length of the buffers as well as the radius of the curve. It will work for *most* stock on min rad 12" in my experience.

The Desiros are fine with the short coupler because like most modern bogie vehicle models they have coupler sockets on a cam that moves out as the train goes round a corner.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

Some very helpful feedback - thanks.

1). The invisible couplers. I think this is a fair point. Certainly some of the photos rather exaggerate just how invisible they become, but even so I can see that a simple painted line across the top, or some form of cosmetic pipe work, could be desirable. Perhaps an etched "pipe" that is sprayed black then glued to the outer vertical side of the coupler? I suspect this would have to be an aftermarket add, and while good in principle may be the sort of thing that after fitting to one or two wagons the modeller gives up on.... Certainly worth a try though.

3). Pale grey. I think Rapidos are available from Japan in pale grey - albeit without the NEM socket - do they look better?

1 - I see what is meant by this, but in practice I am not 100% sure how effective a painted black line would look. Just me, but would the extra pipework defeat the object of the exercise...assuming the exercise is to make rapidos look better instead of improving the overall look and operability of the coupling? I suspect those who wanted that little bit more wouldn't go for the rapidos in the first place - no matter what colour they are. The extra pipework could also make the coupling more fiddly and prone to catching?

2 - Grey couplings do look better; but they are used on lighter coloured stock where the black stands out like a sore thumb...black is used for others. Grey couplings are rapido, Scharfenberg and kadee.

I have also seen weathered couplings as well, which don't look too bad.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A possible quick fix for the - justifiable - concerns that these couplers are almost "too" invisible...

I used a fine permanent marker to draw a line along the top of the coupler shank and pick out the "centre section" of the main coupler head.  I decided to colour around the hook too.  Others might prefer to experiment with the extent of the colouring.

post-420-0-65303800-1394641370_thumb.jpg

Fitted to the cement PCAs now there is something between the wagons at least ... does this a compromise enhance the effect?

post-420-0-77476600-1394641360_thumb.jpg

On another note... forgot to add when opening topic that I also trialled the NEM sockets that fit onto ATM/NGS bogies.  It occurred to me that for some wagons, even when the black coupler or the Dapol easi-shunt couplers are used, this could improve the appearance.

post-420-0-24983500-1394641352_thumb.jpg

One last thing.... experience has now taught me that the clear plastic does not, sadly, "twinkle" or catch the light enough to make these components at all easy to find when they fall onto the floor!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The photo in my previous post was taken fairly close up. From "usual viewing distances" the effect seems to me to be even more pleasing.

post-420-0-67712300-1394642311_thumb.jpg

It may be these look better in the real than in photos - I think I am increasingly inclined to do some myself and then let others judge when they see them in action. I'll prepare a couple of full rakes of vehicles and run them on Horseley Fields. We're exhibiting at Potters Bar and also at the DEMU showcase in May.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Etched,

No, not yet. I only received a handful of test mouldings this morning, and I don't have a layout at home. The next time I'll be running anything on a scenic layout is likely to be the week before Potters Bar when we get. Horseley Fields ready for the show. If I remember I'll take some pics then, or at the show!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Black Rat,

One big advantage of Rapidos over other coupler types is that they disengage vertically, meaning that a single vehicle can be "plucked" out of a rake without disturbing the rest of the train.  This can be advantageous when one wagon or coach develops a problem - especially at an exhibition - and needs to be quickly removed.

Fixing anything on top of the couplers would impede this advantage.  Might be worth it for some, but definitely something for the individual to decide.

Also, anything requiring new or modified tooling is not the answer otherwise the costs would probably become prohibitive.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, would a flat top to the couple make any difference to them being able to be lifted vertically out of a rake?

I wonder if its possible to emboss the 'coupling' as part of the moulding process.......

Either way the clear couplings are great...........an idea for 00 perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Howard:  The coupler pockets are available from ATM stockists I believe, and they are also now supplied by the NGS.

Black Rat:  I am not sure I follow your idea about embossing: firstly, it would surely mean a modification to the tool; also I am not sure what it would achieve as it would only really show on the shank, which is largely hidden beneath the outer end of the wagon.

cheers

Ben A.