Couplers in N - is the answer clear?

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Premium

One last thing.... experience has now taught me that the clear plastic does not, sadly, "twinkle" or catch the light enough to make these components at all easy to find when they fall onto the floor!

cheers

Ben A.

Laminate floor and bare feet - you'll find them soon enough!

Hi Ben,

I like the look of this idea and would be interested in trying them out. I quite like the look with a bit of black drawn on top. If it is possible, could you do a photo showing the couplings with this done on a scenic layout please? Ideally close up and how a rake looks from normal viewing distance.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Matt

I only received a handful of samples and those are the ones photographed so far.  As there has been a very encouraging response to this idea (here and on other groups/forums) I have decided to order enough to equip a couple of complete wagon rakes.   I will test these on Horseley Fields - we are exhibiting at Potters Bar on May 10th and then at the DEMU show on May 31st-June 1st.  I may be able to photograph them on the layout beforehand and if so I will post pics here.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm delighted to see this being evaluated, I do hope it progresses to being made generally available – preferably with that 'bulk-buy' option already mentioned as there are an awful lot of existing NEM pockets to fit these to.

In the same way a regular source in the older fitting would be great as there are many NGS (perhaps being supplied as a standard option in future for a relatively minimal increase in pricing?) and other Peco chassis based kits along with r-t-r (as shown in the original post) that would benefit, I have doubts now that my existing modest stockpile will suffice. I do think the visual improvement with older short wheelbase 4-wheel stock is even more pronounced when compared with larger modern vehicles.

The simple expedient of permanent marker to bridge the visual gap between wagons will certainly be adopted although I've not been overly troubled by this aspect to date.

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben - excellent work on the couplings. Can't wait to try some myself and see how they look "in the flesh".

I'm wondering how well these would work with Bernard's EMU bogies that Bob and myself are using for our EMU range.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben - excellent work on the couplings. Can't wait to try some myself and see how they look "in the flesh".

I'm wondering how well these would work with Bernard's EMU bogies that Bob and myself are using for our EMU range.

Hi Adam,

If we go into production then we will offer two lengths of NEM coupler (standard and short*) and a short "old style" coupler that goes in a Poole-era pocket. We can't do Peco Elsie types at the moment, but I am sure that if the demand manifests itself then Peco would mould their own.

* there are numerous NEM coupler lengths available - the standard is 11mm in length. Our short coupler is 1mm shorter, while I think the Farish short coupler as supplied with their 37s is shorter still. It may soon be better to specify couplers clearly by overall length, or shank length, as "short" does not cover all the options now.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm intrigued that clear plastic couplings have now evolved.

Back in the late '80s I contacted either Peco or Farish (I can't remember which now) with my suggestion of moulding the couplings clear. I did say at the time there might be a 'prismatic'  problem with light - but they totally rejected my suggestion as not feasible. I should have kept my records of our communication.

Andrew Cox

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately I could not get satisfactory reliability. The clear plastic is considerably "flashier" than normal black nylon, meaning that their operation isn't smooth without fettling. I'm still keen on going forward with this, and I trial them on the revolution TEA tanks.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been using them on my Farish bogie tanks. most were fine but a few would come uncoupled as they are slightly thinner in the Rapido box. A little bit of fettling and I am sure they all would have been OK.

However, I had been replacing them with NEM boxes and the fixed Dapol short knuckles (as these close the gap between vehicles a lot) till Ben announced the new Revolution trains tankers!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben,

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately I could not get satisfactory reliability. The clear plastic is considerably "flashier" than normal black nylon, meaning that their operation isn't smooth without fettling. I'm still keen on going forward with this, and I trial them on the revolution TEA tanks.

Cheers

Ben A.

Surprised to hear this, the two batches supplied to me in '08 were flash-free - surely not another skill lost... :scratchhead:

Regards, Gerry 8)

Additional: Should have said mine were to fit standard Peco coupler boxes, perhaps it's the NEM pocket fitting in this case?

Edited by steam-driven boy

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gerry,

I think the cause of the flashing is down to a combination of the clear plastic requiring a higher injection pressure, and possibly wear on the tool itself which has, by now, produced many thousands of mouldings and may be showing its age.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Premium

Clear 'should' require a lower moulding pressure as it contains no carbon black which will only stiffen mouldings. Possibly the injection pressure is too high for the clear and helping it to escape, whereas the black was more reluctant to flow in to the gaps

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've seen clear couplings and I reckon they're more conspicuous than black ones; not worth the effort in my opinion. Sorry!

No need to be sorry, we are all capable of holding to our own opinions - mine is I wish I'd had funds at the time of the opportunity to stockpile more.

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Steve - thanks for that.  I will ask about the moulding pressure again - it's quite possible I misunderstood.

Crepello - thanks for your comment.  TBH I think it depends.  I noticed yesterday that I have a 350 Desiro that I'd forgotten I'd fitted them to.  I was watching it at Beaconsfield yesterday where we were exhibiting out club layout, and comparing it to one that is not so fitted.  Especially when the vehicle is in motion I felt it an improvement.

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 years later...

Yep, I also thought the ones with blackened bits on top looked quite effective. I'd say for operators of older stock (1930 in my case) a simple mimic vacuum pipe would be enough along the top of the couplings.