Transfers for Hornby Corridor Bogie Luggage Van

suerose

Hi

Hornby released their Corridor Bogie luggage van in Malachite Green, but for some unknown reason, it doesn't bear the word Southern or Southern Railway, only the word Luggage and number in plain yellow. I have never been sure if this wording on either Olive or Malachite should be Gilt with black shading, or just plain yellow. The main problem is that the transfers from Fox, HMRS etc are all too big to go on the panel above the window. So my question is, what should the colour be and most important has anybody found a supplier with a size of transfer that will fit.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards

Sue

Hi

Hornby released their Corridor Bogie luggage van in Malachite Green, but for some unknown reason, it doesn't bear the word Southern or Southern Railway, only the word Luggage and number in plain yellow. I have never been sure if this wording on either Olive or Malachite should be Gilt with black shading, or just plain yellow. The main problem is that the transfers from Fox, HMRS etc are all too big to go on the panel above the window. So my question is, what should the colour be and most important has anybody found a supplier with a size of transfer that will fit.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards

Sue

Are you sure that the prototypes carried SOUTHERN (RAILWAY) lettering?

In BR days, they just carried the number; nothing else.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

From photographs some carried SOUTHERN RAILWAY which I assume are the Olive livery ones, others definately carry just the word SOUTHERN, but it is hard tyo tell if theyare Olive or Malachite. The model carries a basic numbers 2299 and 2300, in early BR days I assume when the word Southern was taken off they added the 'S' to the number, but I don't know how long the S prefix lasted into BR days.

Regards, Sue

Are you sure that the prototypes carried SOUTHERN (RAILWAY) lettering?

In BR days, they just carried the number; nothing else.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

The Gangwayed Bogie Luggage (GBL) van, as they were classified by the Southern, in Olive livery carried the words Southern Railway above the left hand pair of windows, one word above each window, in shaded gilt (as per other carriages)  

When in malachite they just carried the word Southern in the same place as in olive above the left hand of the first pair of windows.

post-243-0-02932600-1394787262.jpg

Picture above shows one of my modified ex Triang models in malachite I have used the HMRS transfers with the spacing between the letters closed up as with HMRS transfers the letters can be individually positioned once the backing is soaked off.

You are correct that in BR(s) days eventually the word Southern was removed and the S prefix added and the designation changed from 'GBL' to 'Cor-PMV'   As far as I a know they retained the S prefix unless reallocated into departmental use.

'

I am reasonably certain that the change to Malachite and the branding "SOUTHERN" were concurrent. 

Immediately post-nationalisation, the malachite livery continued (going to red mid-1949), but the branding was dropped and the number, still in SR-style, had an S prefix. It is likely that some vehicles still in full SR malachite livery had the S prefix added but close-up photos of these vans are rare.

There is an added complication that the Southern had a policy that passenger stock of all types including vans were repainted after 6 years but revarnished after 3, so it is probable that there would have been vans in revarnished malachite without any SOUTHERN lettering and bearing one of the three early BR numbering styles - since "revarnishing" obviously included paint touch up.

All these wooden-bodied passenger stock vans collected brake block dust like there was no tomorrow making it very difficult to be certain of the livery in real life let alone from photos. I can remember looking at a couple of four wheelers at Waterloo in the late 1960s and the only way to tell whether they were green or blue was from lettering style.

I am reasonably certain that the change to Malachite and the branding "SOUTHERN" were concurrent. 

Immediately post-nationalisation, the malachite livery continued (going to red mid-1949), but the branding was dropped and the number, still in SR-style, had an S prefix. It is likely that some vehicles still in full SR malachite livery had the S prefix added but close-up photos of these vans are rare.

There is an added complication that the Southern had a policy that passenger stock of all types including vans were repainted after 6 years but revarnished after 3, so it is probable that there would have been vans in revarnished malachite without any SOUTHERN lettering and bearing one of the three early BR numbering styles - since "revarnishing" obviously included paint touch up.

All these wooden-bodied passenger stock vans collected brake block dust like there was no tomorrow making it very difficult to be certain of the livery in real life let alone from photos. I can remember looking at a couple of four wheelers at Waterloo in the late 1960s and the way to tell whether they were green or blue was from lettering style.

Wouldn't the numbers have carried an 'S' suffix, denoting the maintaining region, as well as the prefix?

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't the numbers have carried an 'S' suffix, denoting the maintaining region, as well as the prefix?

I thought the suffix indicated the originating railway, and believe that this didn't start being applied until the early '50s.

The Gangwayed Bogie Luggage (GBL) van, as they were classified by the Southern, in Olive livery carried the words Southern Railway above the left hand pair of windows, one word above each window, in shaded gilt (as per other carriages)  

When in malachite they just carried the word Southern in the same place as in olive above the left hand of the first pair of windows.

attachicon.gifgmz_2356_1.jpg

Picture above shows one of my modified ex Triang models in malachite I have used the HMRS transfers with the spacing between the letters closed up as with HMRS transfers the letters can be individually positioned once the backing is soaked off.

You are correct that in BR(s) days eventually the word Southern was removed and the S prefix added and the designation changed from 'GBL' to 'Cor-PMV'   As far as I a know they retained the S prefix unless reallocated into departmental use.

'

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the photo and information, I had tried shortening the Fox transfers without success so will certainly try the HMRS Ones. As I don't go into BR days, I didn't really have to worry about prefix and suffixes.

Thanks to everybody else who also tried to help me.

Regards, Sue

Archived