Finnish wooden coach

Petri Sallinen

(EDIT. This topic was originally the question for the locating distance of DG couplings. But like many topics the discussion have moved to new roads and that´s why I have changed the headline of the thread)

I am making my first assemblies by using 2MM DG couplings. I am just wondering what is the right locating distance (=assembly height) from the rail head — please let me know if you have the standard or recommendation for that.

I am making the DG coupling assemly for bogie coaches as you are able to see in my pictures. Do you typically make the mount of the coupling to the bogie or under the body floor?

lubl.jpg

hfv1.jpg

j5fl.jpg

Petri

Helsinki

Finland

I thank you for your interest of my models. These are typical Finnish coaches with wooden bodies like we used to make our coaches from the beginning of 1900´s to the end of 1950´s. The model is my own design with etched nickel silver parts and resin casting roof. I have made construction so simple as possible to build because soldering is quite difficult thing to many younger enthusiasts in Finland. I have taken lots of pictures of working phases — here you will find my idea to build the body. I am able to send more pictures of other working phases if you like.

Petri

gboe.jpg
1wqo.jpg
nxh4.jpg
kh7o.jpg
25nr.jpg
4nzc.jpg

bmmx.jpg
09xq.jpg
bmt7.jpg
hm7s.jpg
m6mc.jpg

nig4.jpg
fzti.jpg
as21.jpg
a6hy.jpg
71fi.jpg

919u.jpg
3xki.jpg
bera.jpg
kctr.jpg

1o41.jpg
78ub.jpg
ii9o.jpg
r66j.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Petri,

those coaches are superb and contain a number of ideas in their design and construction which would be really useful whatever prototype is contemplated. I think they are more than worthy of their own thread if you and the moderators could organise it as buried in a question on DG couplings they may not get noticed. They deserve a much wider audience - fabulous stuff.

Out of interest, what scale are they - 1:152 or 1:160.

Jerry 

As other have said, the coaches are fabulous and I would also love to see more on your modelling.

You can edit the original fist post Petri and then change the title to reflect something a little more relevant if you like.

Missy :)

The underframe of the coach is also very simple. Just make one bending with pliers on both ends of underframe "imitation" — I have drawn small markings outside the frame. On the floor you will find small strips — you have to bend them to the 90 degrees angles. It is easy to assemble the underframe imitation against them. In the same time you have put strips of underframe imitation into the slots that I have drawn in the floor. After that it is easy to solder the underframe imitation from its background to the floor — you might have to press lightly the underframe imitation against the floor. I have designed all soldering points in the coach easy to make them tidy.

bdsf.jpg
j0he.jpg
mgzs.jpg
7ik0.jpg
2g7l.jpg

There are also some backing irons. For them just use 0,4 mm nickel silver wire.

7vkl.jpg
0rsd.jpg
febl.jpg
klqs.jpg
t8md.jpg
tvjd.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There are some really clever design elements here that I think could have lots of applications. I am a  fairly  competent bodger and am happy to assemble most things but I leave design to people much smarter than me.

Jerry

Until I carry on with photos I would like to introduce my very simple three point suspension I have used in this coach. The simple idea is that the other bolster is lower and there is the washer between bogie frame and bolster. Please look at my drawing. When you are painting the model please do not paint the surface of bolster and the upside of bogie — you are also able to lubricate these sides lightly so the bogie will turn well against the bolster.

9yd9.jpg

fy6v.jpg

ntif.jpg

For the bogie mounting you have to solder the brass nut inside the body. You are able to lubricate the screw and after that the solder will not grip on it when soldering.

6tix.jpg

ufl3.jpg

jcp7.jpg

6z17.jpg

As I showed before the other bolster is lower for making the simple three point suspension. It is very easy to solder bolsters to the body floor.

ifv9.jpg

ol37.jpg

xovv.jpg

yrc4.jpg

I think my bogies are very traditional. I suppose that brass bearing cups are same as you are using in 2MM Society — these are made by Parkside Dundas.

58ko.jpg

j07k.jpg

ljg8.jpg

uij7.jpg

x2s3.jpg

cbvk.jpg

vtzq.jpg

jzba.jpg

oe2l.jpg

j5ch.jpg

osw4.jpg

zgdk.jpg

cpca.jpg

yb09.jpg

I have designed models for my friends who are using Rapido couplings or continental style NEM-couplings. For the coupling assembly I have drawn the box that has to be solder to the bogie frame. After that is it easy to slide the NEM-pocket made by Dapol inside the box. With Dapol made NEM-pocket you are able to use what ever couplings you like with NEM-shaft. Personally I do not like NEM-pocket because it is quite big and ugly but in the same time I understand that it is very easy for assembly. I will design the new bogie frame for the DG coupling assembly — I think that I am going to use DG couplings in my own models.

b3oy.jpg

py37.jpg

3rot.jpg

aprh.jpg

iu01.jpg

czbz.jpg

Here is some words about the assembly of roof. I have made resin casting roofs myself — I think that you also know resin casting technique very well so I am not going to write more about that (we have used this technique here in Finland from the end of 1970´s and almost every enthusiasts know that very well; in Scaleforum 2013 exhibition I saw very interesting workshop of making resin castings).

For the roof assembly I have used 2mm socket set screws. First you have to make markings to the roof by using the ready made body. Then just make holes for socket set screws. You are also able to make threads by the tap if you like but this is not necessary — the tight hole for the screw is enough. If you made in some reason loose hole then just glue the socket set screw with syano glue.

6vgd.jpg

guf7.jpg

7w7p.jpg

gshg.jpg

tklf.jpg

g5y8.jpg

1qgo.jpg

Here is the idea of assembly the roof with 2mm nuts across the floor with the small driver — and that´s why I have drawn three big holes in the floor. If you like to unfasten the roof then you first have to unfasten bogies — but I think this is not very big problem :)

98nn.jpg

zfwh.jpg

8x7c.jpg

3l0a.jpg

Stairs are always quite complicated. Typically stairs consist of several separate parts (yes — they might look like better but they are also very difficult to build) but this time I designed it consist only one part. I have drawn small markings for bending points so it is very easy to build it. Next time I will use thinner nickel silver for stairs.

5brg.jpg

tf15.jpg

vyyx.jpg

aui9.jpg

8ssx.jpg

k7hj.jpg

56bi.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Petri,

Thank you very much for these well described and beautifully illustrated construction methods for your own coaches.

A true inspiration to us all and an example of what RMweb can be at its very best.

Kev.

The bogie assembly is very simple. As I have wrote earlier I have left sliding surfaces of bolsters and bogies clear. You might lubricate surfaces lightly.

v9r6.jpg

These are parts needed for the bogie assembly. The bigger washer is used only with the lower bolster (=between bogie frame and bolster)

rysj.jpg

The smaller washer is used with the screw.

62ch.jpg

Start arranging the tube on its place (actually it is the reducing sleeve OD1/8"ID2mmL3mm made by Alan Gibson or maybe I have to say Colin Seymore :))

oadv.jpg

After that you are able to put the bigger washer on its place (but only on the lower bolster)

tx55.jpg

And after that bogies and screws with smaller washers.

j8nf.jpg

uj1f.jpg

ekr8.jpg

There have to be some backlash with bogies — this depends on how long tube you are using. The simple three point suspension gives very smooth running to the coach.

e407.jpg

Petri,

Thank you very much for these well described and beautifully illustrated construction methods for your own coaches.

A true inspiration to us all and an example of what RMweb can be at its very best.

Kev.

Thank you Kev and all the others for your comments. I typically used to take lots of pictures when I am making models — I have all the time the camera and tripod near my working place. Pictures are documentation for me what have I done or thought. The big amount of pictures also helps me to explain my ideas — especially when I am communicate with my terrible bad English :)

Petri

Fantastic walk through. How have you shaped the roof?

The master for the roof was made by traditional handwork (=thick polystyrene and cutting and polishing tools :)), but you have to make only half of the roof. After that you are able to make the silicone mold and when you have cast two halves in resin just glue them together and you will have the master for the complete roof. Now you are able to make the mold for making complete roof and after making casting in resin you are able to make the sand coating (like we had in Finnish coaches) for the part. This is typically the ultimate master you need for making roofs bigger amounts with resin casting technique — you are also able to make holes for torpedo ventilators or other detailing for masters before making molds. I have about ten masters for different versions of roofs.

This sounds complicated but it is not. Resin casting is very easy way. Nowadays 3D-technique is also one possible way to make masters.

Painting is still left. I think that I have nothing special for painting — for painting I use only airbrush (not spray bottles even for priming) and car colors. I used to buy primer in jars so it is easy to thinner the paint as you like and in my opinion well made airbrush is much more better than spray cans. Essential colors are also made for car painting and the type of paints is two component so you have to add the hardener yourself. I like these paints very much because they are so much better than model paints and I am also able to get what ever color I need (they make me the right color when I giving them the sample of Finnish railroad color). I use only gloss paints. For the finish I use satin or matte varnish — my varnishes are also for car using and by adding matte paste you are able to regulate how gloss, satin or matte surface you will get.

Typically I make the shank from the styrofoam sheet that helps me keep parts in my hand when I am painting with airbrush. The shank is easy to glue to parts with two sided tape. The two sided tape is also suitable way to keep small part on its place as you will see in my photos.

Small parts on the two sided tape will help painting.

m3f1.jpg

0f6k.jpg

2j0s.jpg

fy6v.jpg

vore.jpg

8ui1.jpg

kxp1.jpg

jwje.jpg

First I typically paint walls and after that I make masks using Tamiya made masking tape. After that it is easy to paint underframe dark grey with airbrush.

jgzt.jpg

gcyh.jpg

tiwj.jpg

rkqc.jpg

99oe.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Petri,

Are you sure about the orientation of this thing?

(It depends upon what it is though.)

post-12815-0-57323000-1394964330.png

If it is a generator (or dynamo) for the carriage lighting (and batteries), then it should be turned through 90 degrees to allow a belt to drive the pulley on the end, from the nearest wheel axle on the bogie.

(Although I am not suggesting that you change them on your lovely completed examples. Check first!! I was thinking more for future builds.)

Kev.

Archived