Narrow Gauge meets Standard Gauge ?

• 1 year later...

Have you considered some of the fantastic prototypes in Ireland (referring to the land mass, not necessarily the political boundaries!) Larne springs to mind, and I believe the Ballycastle Railway had some extensive mixed gauge sidings and a cross platform interchange, and then of course there was the fabulous Donegal/GN station at Strabane.

Just remembered that of course Jenbach station in Austria has three gauges, the railways in question being Achenseebahn,OBB and Zillertalbahn.

True and when the ZB was still all steam and carrying quite a lot of freight as it was when I last saw it Jenbach was even more fascinating than I assume it is today. The metre gauge and partly rack Achenseebahn is on the opposite (North) side of the OBB main line from the 760mm gauge Zillertalbahn so there's no physical connection. My memory may be false but I don't think there was any mixed gage track associated with the Achenseebahn though the ZB handled SG wagons on transporter wagons so their yard had plenty of interesting ironmongery.

At Volos in Greece there used to be a section of triple gauge track (1435, 1000 & 600mm) running down a road to add to the fun and all three gauges were used by public railways. I think this may have been unique in the world though there have been a few examples of triple gauge where one of more was an industrial railway. The two other triple gauge stations I know of are Montreux and La Tour de Carol near the Franco Spanish border. La Tour de Carol is three termini in one but  only the metre gauge Cerdagne railway is narrow gauge. It runs from its own bay though and doesn't get mixed up with the border arrangements though there may have once been mixed gauge in the goods yards. I've not visited Montreux which has 1435, 1000 and 800mm gauge lines so I've no idea if there is any mixed gauge track there.

Edited by Pacific231G

If you open it out to the Continent then there are probably several hundred "interchange" stations. Most of the Forestry railways for a start had an interchange with SG... The line my railway is based on in the Czech Republic has a few kilometers of mixed gauge track still very much in use...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jind%C5%99ich%C5%AFv_Hradec,_Doln%C3%AD_Skr%C3%BDchov,_%C5%BEelezni%C4%8Dn%C3%AD_tra%C5%A5_do_Nov%C3%A9_Byst%C5%99ice-odbo%C4%8Dka.JPG

• Like 2

If you open it out to the Continent then there are probably several hundred "interchange" stations. Most of the Forestry railways for a start had an interchange with SG... The line my railway is based on in the Czech Republic has a few kilometers of mixed gauge track still very much in use...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jind%C5%99ich%C5%AFv_Hradec,_Doln%C3%AD_Skr%C3%BDchov,_%C5%BEelezni%C4%8Dn%C3%AD_tra%C5%A5_do_Nov%C3%A9_Byst%C5%99ice-odbo%C4%8Dka.JPG

Interesting, The narrow gauge there seems to be laid with quite heavy rail.

With over 21 000 kms of public narrow gauge railways You'd have once found interchange stations between public railways of different gauges in the high hundreds  in France alone. Add industrial and agricultural railways and the total would probably be well over a thousand.  Most public interchanges were between standard and metre gauge lines but there were about 450kms of public sub-metric NG lines- all but one 600mm- so a few places where a metre gauge line - usually a roadside tramway- connected with a very local 600mm gauge line serving a resort or even a single hotel.

Edited by Pacific231G

Interesting, The narrow gauge there seems to be laid with quite heavy rail.

Most modern European Commercial NG uses heavy rail these days, not quite as heavy as SG main lines but pretty close, about the standard of SG branch lines. The JHMD, like the Ziller, transports SG wagons on the NG and i suppose they'd need the heavier rail!

The new-ish Peco "Main Line" 009/HOe track is virtually spot on for these sorts of lines, great for modellers of the modern scene like me!

Edited by Hobby

If you're thinking of Ireland, don't dismiss the idea of a turf railway (3ft gauge) to main line (5ft 3in gauge) interchange.

I've never totally got to the bottom of the topic, which seems to fall into the bracket "undocumented history", but there was at least one, possibly two, near Portarlington, where turf was tipped from n.g. to s.g. wagons, to be transported to Dublin for domestic use.

Kevin

Also in Ireland was Listowel, where the broad gauge met the L&B steam monorail.

The Cavan & Leitrim narrow gauge connected at 2 stations, Dromod and Belturbet.

Derry City had 4 termini, 2 of each gauge, connected by a mixed gauge bridge over the river

• 4 years later...

I think those are ICI wagons.

Salt or chlorine/fluorine for water treatment??

They match a wagon shown in a photo in the HMRS collection, the lettering on which includes the ICI logo and “salt division”.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

They match a wagon shown in a photo in the HMRS collection, the lettering on which includes the ICI logo and “salt division”.

Salt or lime perhaps, or sand for filtration purposes. Flourine or chlorine would probably be in tank wagons.

Interesting thread. The Talyllyn and the Cambrian got Parliamentary approval for a mixed gauge siding to connect the two railway's stations at Towyn but is wasn't built. Can't remember the source, sorry.

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Grammar

5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Colne Valley Water Company

Colne Valley Water siding and narrow gauge

Colne Valley Water siding R0433.  Colne Valley Waterworks Railway. August, 1960.

Those are excellent Mr. Burns. I've not seen colour photos of the Colne Valley Water Company Rly. before though it was quite heavily covered in B&W in I think Railway Byways. There are still a few traces of it on the ground if you know where to look. Only in Britain would there be a footbridge to cross a fairly quiet industrial light railways.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I didn't even notice that they were ICI wagons until you mentioned it, but to quote the caption on the Flickr page...

"Salt and chlorine were delivered here by the wagon load and transferred to the Eastbury Pumping Station by a 2ft (610mm) narrow gauge railway using two Ruston & Hornsby diesel locomotives. The line closed in 1967 and both locomotives were then preserved at the Amberley Museum. 21/07/1963"

37 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Those are excellent Mr. Burns. I've not seen colour photos of the Colne Valley Water Company Rly. before though it was quite heavily covered in B&W in I think Railway Byways. There are still a few traces of it on the ground if you know where to look. Only in Britain would there be a footbridge to cross a fairly quiet industrial light railways.

I only stumbled on these pictures when I was looking for pictures of Colne station in Lancashire and I thought that they were too good not to post. It does actually say on the caption that "The green painted triangular structure in the centre of the picture is a footbridge; it came from the ‘Never Stop Railway’ at the Wembley Exhibition" so it seems that it was recycled!

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Salt or lime perhaps, or sand for filtration purposes. Flourine or chlorine would probably be in tank wagons.

Unless they were running a zeolite based water softening plant, I cannot think of any reason why you would put salt into a water treatment process.  

Given the timescale I would have thought that unlikely.  

Chlorine would be delivered as a gas and as hypochlorate/hypochlorite as a liquid.  

Sodium carbonate or more likely bicarbonate (soda ash) as an acidity regulator might be a strong possibility

Edit to add: Soda ash was a major ICI Mond/ICI salt division product

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a bit of original mixed narrow and standard gauge at Welshpool - interchange between the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway and the Cambrian/Great Western Railway. A short, isolated section remains that served the former cattle dock. There are plans afoot to restore this site as a heritage feature? Andy Y posted photos on RMweb in 2018.