FARISH NEW 4F

Crepello

Well I have finally taken the plunge and bought one of these little 4F’s and what a beauty it is. Popped down to the Ian Allan shop in Waterloo and if you are a loyalty member they give you a fiver off for every hundred you spend (hence a duchess was £114!!, now sold out). I purchased the Seaside Excursion set and got the lot home and set up. After setting up the GF track (1st radius), and a little running in, she proceeded to do a good scale 20 mph easily. The daylight between boiler and frame show up the counterweights on the wheels really well. The inside motion is well represented and there’s a large ashpan underneath the boiler. The attention to detail on the little thing is amazing. Anyway, intrigued as too how much she would pull, I fitted her up with 5 plankers. I ran out at 17 so then added the BCK and SO that came with the set. Still, she managed a good scale 20 mph around 1st radius curves! Although small and lightweight this thing pulls well (perhaps the wheels are magnetic??!! !). There is space for a little bit of lead weight in the cab, and the addition of a lead driver and fireman would up the weight; I haven’t popped the body off yet to see if there is space inside. My only concern is the very fragile tool holder and coal rails that go on the tender – they are very fine pieces and I’m not sure there is space in the usual container to store them when fitted.

OK, I'll bite :)

You blokes are talking about how you have received or gone to a shop to buy the new 4F.  When I go to the Farish site it says released March...and when I asked Hattons about my pre-order, they also said not released until March.

So, what magic incantation did you use to get one? :)

Cheers 

It is available via the Seaside Excursion set (370-180), which appeared in shops just before Christmas. And a cracking little model it is, the choice between this and the Duchess was an easy one when I saw them side by side...bought two Excursion sets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having been considering recently whether to get one of the new 4F's to go with the new type Jinty I now have, and how easy it would be to convert to 2FS, the other day I was treated to the excursion set, lucky me. Sadly, while I would agree with many of the comments that have been made about this loco, that it again sets new standards for N in many areas, my example turned out to be one of those 'friday afternoon jobs' (a term much used in the '60's/70's to describe many of the new cars people bought that were less than brilliantly put together).

Running quality was quite iffy and sporadic, and eventually traced to wheelsets that had been put in upside down ( well the coupling rods were anyway), front & back sets that were (incorrectly) quartered differently to the middle set, and a loco/tender drawbar where the electrical connections weren't working, (so no juice from the loco wheels going to the motor). Once these were as they should be it ran pretty much the same as the Jinty, quite nicely on DC, and very nicely on DCC when a CT76 was 'borrowed' from another loco and tried in it.

The only concerns I have are how to hide/disguise the horizontal non-joint on both sides between the plastic boiler and the metal chassis boiler section, along with the left hand handrail that finishes about 2mm before the cab. And of course convert it to 2FS. Always good to have the odd challenge......

Izzy

Having been considering recently whether to get one of the new 4F's to go with the new type Jinty I now have, and how easy it would be to convert to 2FS, the other day I was treated to the excursion set, lucky me. Sadly, while I would agree with many of the comments that have been made about this loco, that it again sets new standards for N in many areas, my example turned out to be one of those 'friday afternoon jobs' (a term much used in the '60's/70's to describe many of the new cars people bought that were less than brilliantly put together).

Running quality was quite iffy and sporadic, and eventually traced to wheelsets that had been put in upside down ( well the coupling rods were anyway), front & back sets that were (incorrectly) quartered differently to the middle set, and a loco/tender drawbar where the electrical connections weren't working, (so no juice from the loco wheels going to the motor). Once these were as they should be it ran pretty much the same as the Jinty, quite nicely on DC, and very nicely on DCC when a CT76 was 'borrowed' from another loco and tried in it.

The only concerns I have are how to hide/disguise the horizontal non-joint on both sides between the plastic boiler and the metal chassis boiler section, along with the left hand handrail that finishes about 2mm before the cab. And of course convert it to 2FS. Always good to have the odd challenge......

Izzy

Commiserations, it is usually me that gets locos like that.......

All the very best

Les

I can only agree.

I already had the "solo" release Fowler tendered loco on order pretty much from the time when they were announced, but decided not to wait so bought the "Seaside Excursion" set too. It is a little gem of a loco looks, finish and detail wise. 

It is also amongst my best running steam locos as well, alongside the Ivatt and WD. It has been mentioned that the loco is a bit limited haulage wise, and that may be true in terms of very long trains or extreme gradients, but mine is happy on level track with 30 ish wagons, that is more than it will ever need to cope with routinely and I suspect adequate for most layouts..

On the strength of how happy I am with this one have also ordered a BR Johnson tendered one as well now...

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

I spent last weekend helping with Armathwaite at Mansfield show.

We had a pair of the new 4Fs running (and a couple of old ones with things like snowploughs and "odd" tenders).

New 4Fs look good and run very well BUT freewheel quite a long way once they hit a fiddleyard dead section.  Indeed with all-wheel pickups they would sail merrily through the dead section on the call-up if not switched off manually or slowed down on approach.  Difficult to judge this while simultaneously driving a train out front.

Something to watch when building fiddle yards with dead sections.....

Les

Hi Les

I would much prefer to have all wheel pickup on the loco and have to concentrate, it makes such a difference to reliable running!

Couldn't resist a BR Johnson Tender version when at St Neots Show today - I already have one on order, so some renumbering will be needed.

The Johnson tender is a work of art in it's own right - truly exquisite. The little loco is running as I speak and runs like a proverbial sewing machine (as did my first).

Very pleased.

Roy

I agree it is a lovely little loco, runs well and pulls a decent load.  If I were modelling an area they penetrated I'd be jumping at one.

Fiddle yards- Howard has two separate controllers for each running line.  The main handles the front and the call-up moves the train forwards in the fiddle yard.  Each fiddle yard holds two trains of the same length and there is a dead section halfway along, with another at the exit end.  The call-up controller is (normally) set to a constant speed.  The dead sections are contolled by push buttons, one to release the starting train from the fiddle yard and the other to start the second train on the call-up.

As both trains are controlled from the same position the one moving forwards in the fiddle yard is left to its own devices, largely because to give it any attention is inviting the one moving out front on the other controller to have a major derailment or divide while it isn't being watched.  The 4F is a beautiful free runner, which is a problem if it shares a road with anything needing much more power (like a Farish diesel).

I tended to draw the other train forwards to just out of sight of the punter and then drive the call-up manually if a 4F or anything with traction tyres (which can be damaged by skidding to a stop) was involved.  The only disadvantage of that is that the wait for the next train out front is longer.

Sectioned fiddle yards were one factor in my decision to make Hawthorn Dene DCC- no sections and both trains in each road separately drive and switched easily with the recall button.

Hope this lot helps.

Les

Pic of the Johnson Tendered version below. Just needs a crew really. I have already run it in and will chip it in due course.

These locos really are excellent models and in my experience (as with all the latest coreless motor loco-drives) run as well as they look.

post-4469-0-60829700-1426502820_thumb.jpg

Hi Branwell

My understanding is that they arrived and started to find their way to dealers late last week.

At Huntingdon Club's show at the weekend only Lord and Butler had them (and the new 31s).

Interesting to note that Hattons do not yet show them in stock though...

Regards

Roy

so bought the "Seaside Excursion" set too. It is a little gem of a loco looks, finish and detail wise. 

It is also amongst my best running steam locos as well,

On the strength of how happy I am with this one have also ordered a BR Johnson tendered one as well now...

Couldn't resist a BR Johnson Tender version when at St Neots Show today - I already have one on order, so some renumbering will be needed.

The Johnson tender is a work of art in it's own right - truly exquisite. The little loco is running as I speak and runs like a proverbial sewing machine (as did my first).

Thanks for the interesting reviews/reports

have you had a chance yet to compare the new delivery with that in the Seaside Excursion set ?

eg. detail / tractive effort etc&etc ?

EDIT - ps. or anyone else that has them both :)

• RMweb Gold

Today's Bachmann Club 'Times' shows a SDJR class 4F in Prussian Blue as the new N limited edition item.  'Limited' to 504 as usual and priced at £99.95

I suspected they would do this. The tenders are wrong for the S&D Armstrongs (and the majority of Midland ones come to that, should be the riveted one, not panelled with flat beading), and they were never blue, always black from delivery in 1922.

That said it will make an attractive model and sell well I'm sure.

Jerry

Archived