FARISH NEW 4F

Crepello

Ian,

Nice work. Farish have some great value for money train packs available at the moment.

I fitted a ZIMO sound decoder to one of these 4F models (from the 'Landships' pack) in Hornby Magazine issue 98 with a full photographic step by step guide as usual. Fairly straight forward for a man of your talents. With a slightly modified cube speaker, you'll be surprised at how loud they can be.

The project has working brakes, so as well as having control over acceleration you can have total control over stopping distances whilst still having a realistically high value in CV4.

Note that this model uses a 'coreless' motor, so any decoder needs to have the correct 'Motor Control' CVs be able to operate them successfully. If not, the low rotating mass can cause low speed jitter.

In response to your other post I've just seen, ZIMOs have CV5 and 6, though top speed is more easily reduced with CV57.

Kind regards,

Paul

Are you sure! That really would be something, even with DCC to activate tiny servos.

Hi Chris,

Nice to see someone's paying attention.

As you say, that would be something indeed.

Fortuntely, I said the project has working brakes, not the model. The braking force acts on the motor and works progressively, short applications give week retardation, longer applictions increase the retardation exponentially, 'latched' Brake Key will give 'all you've got', emergency braking, based on the efficiency of the brakes (user selectable), automatic adjustment for mass based upon heavy train or light engine mode selection (F5), value in CV4 and road speed when the brake application is made.

Pity I can't get the brake shoes to make contact with the wheels as yet, but it's a vast improvement on not having a brake control at all.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived