Hello all,

Today I went to see fellow group member Paul's new layout Tormouth.

Not to be confused with "Tormouth Quay", a layout which some of you will know from its appearance at several exhibitions down here in the southwest over the last few years.

• RMweb Gold

Not to be confused with "Tormouth Quay", a layout which some of you will know from its appearance at several exhibitions down here in the southwest over the last few years.

Hi Graham,

I hadn't heard of Tormouth Quay but having googled it appears to be 4mm so I doubt there'll be too much confusion!  Thanks for the heads-up though.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

No probs! Paul came up with the name anyway - I'm not sure where he got it from. Selecting imaginary but realistic names is something that's always interested me. Indeed, though I rather like word play in conversation I've always had a total sense of humour failure when it comes to puns in layout names! I don't know why because I'm generally very much at the "it's my train set" end of the hobby. Odd, I know!

I suppose the word "Tor" has resonances that help to set a scene... I'm thinking here of south west and hills.. But I'd be interested in hearing Paul's reasoning!

Cheers

Ben A.

Damn and blast, maybe I should have hit the google button before I came up with that name, so apologies Graham if I have stepped on your toes, reasoning for the name was that we go camping a lot near Torbay and I wanted a river running into the sea on the layout, (wanted the area to be Devonish as I have a love of green hydraulic Diesels!) hence the name... Still I guess as the scales are different and quite clearly the quay is further south near the harbour ;) there shouldn't be too much confusion :D - To me "Tor" is the essence of Devon where I went to as a child a lot... As yet undecided whether to leave the location here, so it may gain a different name (or not!) kind of moving to an angle of flint cliffs as the Devon ones in the Torbay area would have subsided into the sea by now taking the railway and town with it!!! :sarcastichand:

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

Great idea, I'm very envious of those carpentry skills.

My only suggestion re the track plan, would be at the moment it looks like the line has always been single, rather than having been recently rationalised as per your description.

I've followed this one and I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Good point about the rationalisation - it does look as though the line was always "singled" at that point.

Perhaps we should assume that the line always went single at that point, but the station/yard has been rationalised and is no longer as important as it once was; with some waiting rooms or offices closed or demolished.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Good call chaps,

I wonder if there would be scope for bending the platform a little more and making the station look like it was redesigned after the track was lifted...

Please excuse the very bad edit of Ben A's plan!

post-18903-0-43111300-1395323047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good call chaps,

I wonder if there would be scope for bending the platform a little more and making the station look like it was redesigned after the track was lifted...

Please excuse the very bad edit of Ben A's plan!

attachicon.giftormold.jpg

Ok tried to edit the pic but failed miserably so I'll try to describe my thoughts - purely as a suggestion:

Move the entire station complex upwards and angle it so it flows off the double track coming in off the viaduct.
Create the remaining single line where the platform is in the plan above, so the platform still follows the line.
Make the lifted line follow the path of the current single line.

May have to pull the tunnel entrance out a bit to allow for the remaining line dipping towards the front of the layout, but otherwise it should fit ok...

If I can work out how to do freehand in Paint I'll have another go at the plan myself!!

Edit; Please, please excuse the truly awful artwork, but here's my suggestion - track only, curves etc. to be tidied up (duh!)...

post-10897-0-62628600-1395326544_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by Grafarman
  • Like 4

Cheers David, Ironically that now pretty much resembles the original plan I did in Anyrail on my laptop but I never published ..... I can work with that..a bit thanks :)

I'm useless with Anyrail by the way!!

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Yes, I really like what you've done there. Obviously it's Paul's layout but the idea of a disused platform heavily overgrown and possibly part removed also appeals scenically, especially as it feels like something not often modelled....

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Damn and blast, maybe I should have hit the google button before I came up with that name, so apologies Graham if I have stepped on your toes

Oh Lordy, Lordy, Lordy - not in the slightest!  Just thought I should mention it so that anyone who knows "Tormouth Quay" didn't jump to conclusions.

Honestly, I'm not in the least bit possessive over the name - I can't even claim to have come up with it all by myself.  Here's the story:

Must be about 13 or 14 years ago now that the Lyme Regis Historical Society (or some similar organisation) sponsored the showing of an early 1950s film at the local cinema (for want of a better word!).  It was called "All around the Town" and had been shot in Lyme - the interest, obviously, was in the "then & now" comparison of Lyme.

As often happens, the location had been renamed for the film.  Yes, you've guessed, Tormouth.  A very nondescript, generic West Country-sounding name, ideal for the film.

The name stuck and, a couple of years later popped back out of my head when the new layout started to take shape - a quayside scene set "somewhere in the southwest".

Don't worry about it - I'm not!

Best wishes for the layout.

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Like the layout and good to see John hard at work!

Been trying to think of a suitable history for the layout. It could have been that the station was the original terminus and then the single track line added on later as an extension to the next town or china clay facility. In that case a run round loop on the branch would be needed but not an extra platform ( although a disused platform would look good). It would be worth locating the site of the former goods yard/loco shed which would now be used for something else ie car park or new supermarket etc.

Have you told John where the bus and lorries are going to run yet!!!

N

Hi Paul

Like the layout and good to see John hard at work!

Hello all

When have you seen John resting ? it must be penance for past sins, he cant even enjoy his retirement.

Paul asked me if I would help start him off building a railway,which I have done and there was no mention of

lorries or buses       so on yer bike   Mr stivesnick   :nono:     You are doing a great job Paul    keep it up !      It's

gonna be a great little layout.

Cheers

John

Edited by engage
  • Like 1