• 3 weeks later...

Not much in the way of updates, awaiting some things to arrive from Japan.  In the meantime I received a Farish Diesel fueling point from EvilBay which I have converted to have some realistic strip lighting installed on. 

This will eventually be located on the old siding to the depot (long since gone) along from the signalbox.

post-18903-0-59129100-1403694829.jpg

Parts required are :-

0603 Yellow SMD (I used yellow as I remember them being this dirty cheap strip light colour in Hornsey as a kid!)
2 Small strands of wire
1 resistor
3 tie wraps
1mm thick Fibre Optic
1 x 1mm Drill bit
320 Grit sandpaper

Drill through the ends of the tie wraps with the 1mm bit as centrally as possible. This is the end where you would put the loop through to secure it (the thick piece).

Cut the parts out as shown in diagram.  Now you have three mounting clips.

post-18903-0-40670100-1403694887.jpg

Paint the parts any colour you wish...

Sand the fibre optic with 320 grit sand paper (this allows the light to bleed out the sides)

Solder your wires to the SMD, then glue the SMD (I used Rocket 16 Second Glue) to one side of one of your mounting clips ensuring the SMD is central to the hole. 

IMPORTANT let it dry thoroughly first as cynoacrylic eats Fibre Optics !   

Measure the correct Fibre Optic Length you require and cut the end dead straight so that it will fit tightly against the SMD

Push the fibre optic carefully into the end with the SMD on until it touches up to the LED.

Slide on the central holder and then the end one.

Glue the holders to the roof of the Fueling point extremely carefully, ensuring no glue touches the fibre optic.

Push the wires through a suitably drilled hole in the base and solder on resistor.

Connect to 9V battery and test.

Result should be similar to the photo in picture

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

I've not been on RMWeb for a couple of days so missed your last two posts. The fuel depot lighting is very effective, and the cliff faces are really coming on. The subtle variations of colours that you're achieving on the cliffs are really effective and bringing them to life.

Cheers

Ben.

Very difficult to see from the photo but there are quite a few greys in this now as well as stone, brown etc... As the cliffs are so close to the track and town they couldnt of course be mud or sandstone as it would be washed away!!

So this is about the limit of my skills!!

post-18903-0-20077100-1403967665.jpg

• Like 7

A bit of colour added this evening by the wife... Wish the Japanese kit would hurry and clear customs...

Pictures speak a 1000 words so here you go!

post-18903-0-65704600-1404073720_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 10

I think now as colour starts to turn "Tormouth" into something more than Brown painted wood I should let you into a little secret, I have comissioned Iain Robinson to build the Tormouth Signal Box as I wanted a certain design which would fit in with my location and era.  This totally out strips my current modelling skills, so after straying across his website by complete accident and being so taken by the high standards and superb detailing I jumped straight in with my request.....Hopefully a few photos of it will grace us in the near future...... Currently I still have another 8 feet of cliffs and hills to build on the lower level, a funicular to create from a Langley Brass kit and install then I can start on the upper hills, road, station, platforms, etc, etc..............the list is long, but I've decided to go for quality over speed on this build...  My main worry now is my building modelling skills will look shoddy compared to the Signal box :D

Paul.

Edited by Only-Me

Well moving swiftly along now I purchased some thin ply from K&S Models at the weekend and have used it to construct the platform edges. After measuring and cutting I applied some Redulex self adhesive embossed stone to them as can be seen in the pictures. Hot glue gun was my choice for fixing them to the board.

post-18903-0-16517200-1404165167.jpgpost-18903-0-07521000-1404165176.jpg

Night All!

• Like 6

My brass making is pretty shoddy! However for the purposes of measurements then I think this will do nicely....

Anyways im off to cut a big hole in the base board for the lower funicular station :)

post-18903-0-99481100-1404332052.jpg

• Like 6

Evening all...

So I managed to take the layout into the garden this afternoon....

Two updates, now measured and fitted the funicular track and built a box around the underboard where the track dips below the river bank level.

post-18903-0-25520000-1404510163.jpg

At least it now means I can fit the winding motor, reed switches and start to build the cliffs down to the river estuary now this is in place.... In the mean time my japanese bus chassis arrived (all be it customs saw through my plans and ended up doubling the original cost!! ;) )

So..naturally opened the box and took it apart.....anyone for an N gauge Fodden lorry? A bit more work to do on this but it is all coming together... Better than just a bus now eh ;)

post-18903-0-81591900-1404510194.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

So its back to the grind of cliff making tonight now i've put in the funicular track, a before and after shot for your perusal... This is wickes best ready mixed filler... Its spread on thick and I expect it to take two or three days to dry but its pretty rock solid after that, then I can start to sand where necessary and paint... I know people will say buy self mix stuff and add black or brown paint, unfortunately... A) im too lazy and B) i cant get the consistency right so this is my preferred method :D

post-18903-0-68000900-1404849311.jpg

post-18903-0-83440200-1404849327.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Well in the background to my efforts, Mr Robinson had been very busy indeed... the signalbox is coming along like a dream.... If you would like to read the trials and tribulations Iain has faced then read on ....http://iainrobinsonmodels.blogspot.co.uk/ it's well worth the click !

post-18903-0-18756700-1405949450.jpg

What am I up to you may ask ? Well the weather has been hot hot hot here, so apart from applying yet more filler...absolutely nothing ;)

TTFN...

• Like 5

A bit of colour added this evening by the wife... Wish the Japanese kit would hurry and clear customs...

Pictures speak a 1000 words so here you go!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Like this very much.  Just a quick observation.  If this is a sea cliff you may consider adding some much darker colours (almost black) at the base up to where the high tide mark would be.  The various things that grow where the waves splash tends to give a dark line along the base of hard rock cliffs.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed this thread from Iain's excellent blog. I'm an ardent fan of his work, I'm now an ardent fan and follower of yours! Great work so far! Indeed I am very interested to see your progress with the viaduct as I'm working on one myself at the moment!

Lee