Blog- Maurice's Blog - St Juliot's visit to Somerset

Friday the 14th March saw St Juliot on the train to Nailsea with the layout using the wheelchair space in coach C for the short run to Taunton where a transfer was required to a bus to Bridgwater to get round the piece of railway still limited in operation by flood damage.  The train on to Nailsea arrived on time for the schedule 11 minute connection to the x8 bus from Bristol that would take me to Nailsea School gates.  Arrival at this super exhibition venue was just a few minutes after the doors opened. Following a leisurely couple of hours setting up I was joined by fellow S Scale member Phil Copleston with his demonstration table which was set up beside the layout.

This will probably be the last visit to a public exhibition for St. Juliot - although a visit to LarkRail in Bath is planned for July.  However this is not the end of taking layouts to exhibitions by public transport.  I already have a booking for a layout to attend an exhibition on the 14th February 2014.  At present this, Southern third rail, P4 opus is still on paper although much of the stock and some of the scenic material is ready.  A job for the autumn.

The St Juliot stock box had not been checked since returning from Utrecht (I have been busy with a nasty dose of flu/cold and other jobs neglected in the run up to going to the Netherlands - hence no posts on RM web) and one vehicle became a 'cripple', its wheel-set having been damaged in transit.  It would run with a very duck-like waddle, but as it was the Road van it was rather noticeable at the end of the train, so a 'spare set' of wheels was taken from one of the vans!  The M&GNR loco from Trevor Nunn's stud was still available, before its planned return to its home shed via a visit to Kings Lynn in April.

It was interesting to see that even here in Somerset only two people noticed the Trescothick wagon - Somerset's cricket captain - with the wagon in Somerset colours an' all...!

Over our winter, Len White has been working on his Belgian rolling stock while visiting his family in Australia.  He brought the stock back mostly as 'flat packs' and had a productive weekend on the demonstration table putting various items together.

A couple of the finished items were available for the B4 to pull through the sky (luckily the holes were big enough for this stock.  Even though it depicts European stock built over 100 years ago, it shows the way Britain's railways had already been left behind on the size front.  (For more details of this and many other comments on British railway history in the 20th century see my .... Views of a Changing Railway: Edward Hopper - Railwayman from 1925 to 1968   ISBN 978-0-7552-1439-6  £14.95 available to order from all good book sellers.)

View the full article

Archived