North Staffordshire Railway Coaches

avonside1563

its a shame it wasnt found 30 years ago eh,,,    looking at the duckets it looks like the coach will be different from the simulated one and more like the original

and all that rotten wood is a great source of information even if most of it is too far gone

makes you think what else is hiding out there,,,,,,,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone thought to release models/kits of these coaches which could have a portion of the sales profits donated to the restoration of the prototype?

Check post No.75

"Meanwhile I'm posting on here really to highlight that some models will be available in 4mm scale through 3D printing shortly. They cover the Brake Third, a matching 1st/3rd Composite, a Full Brake and the single Hounds Van, all slightly adapted to fit a readily available proprietary underframe.

Details will appear here and on the RMweb 3D printing thread".

• 1 year later...

Check post No.75

"Meanwhile I'm posting on here really to highlight that some models will be available in 4mm scale through 3D printing shortly. They cover the Brake Third, a matching 1st/3rd Composite, a Full Brake and the single Hounds Van, all slightly adapted to fit a readily available proprietary underframe.

Details will appear here and on the RMweb 3D printing thread".

Models of two patterns of NSR Brake Third and a matching composite carriage are now available in 4mm scale through 3D printer i-materialise. Two of these are slightly adapted to clip-fit onto an Airfix/GMR/Dapol/Hornby GWR brake van underframe. If there is sufficient demand I'll bring out some more versions. 

NSR Brake Third like the one recovered from Rudyard in 2014:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-1880s-brake-third-body-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=6

NSR Brake Third variant with the guards lookouts at the end (number 24):

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-brake-third-body-no24-4mm-scale-clip-fit-Hornby-airfix-Dapol-chassis?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=8

Seats for either of the above:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4-wheel-brake-third-bodies-interior-seating-unit-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=7

NSR Composite carriage of similar design:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-composite-body-4mm-scale-clip-fit-Hornby-airfix-Dapol-chassis?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=4

Seats for the composite carriage:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4-wheel-composite-bodies-interior-seating-unit-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=5

Again, if there is sufficient interest I have a full brake and hound van that can be uploaded for sale, also to clip-fit the proprietary underframe or will go equally well on a scratchbuilt underframe. I have a five complartment six-wheel third that would require a scratchbuild underframe. Through supplier Shapeways I have also designed and test-printed a one-piece NSR carriage underframe but that still requires some development work on the bearing holes to enable OO/EM wheels to be fitted. they are not cheap, and I only make a couple of dollars design fee on each one, but they do make an unusual and accurate model.

There are some 7mm scale parts in development and also one carriage in Gauge 1 but these work out very expensive in scales larger that 4mm so I am hoping to case a few parts in resin from the 3D masters.

If anyone has any questions or wants more prototype photos plse post on here.

And if you would like to ride on the two restored full-size NSR carriages, number 61 and 127, their first day running at Foxfield Steam Railway is planned for Sunday 2 April 2017, there will be Trustees dressed in Victorian costume and a sales stand to raise funds for the restoration of the next carriages...

Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you to everyone who has been buying the 4mm scale model 3D printed carriage bodies and seating units (see separate thread at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118949-nsr-4wheel-carriages-in-4mm-scale/).We don't make very much on each sale but it would be very useful publicity if we could hear from anyone who has built and painted one. Pictures anyone?

Meanwhile news on the real carriages:

First class 228 of 1876 has had a full assessment at Stanegate Restorations and a detailed report is being considered by the Knotty Coach Trust after a site visit in July. Some decisions will need to be made about the restoration to depict a particular era in the life of the carriage, eg the roof profile was changed, as were several fittings and the interior. Once these decisions are made then the restoration can be costed.

The grant funding package to fully restore the 1880s Brake Third as the Accessible Brake Coach is in the final stages and it is hoped to announce the go-ahead this month. The completed carriage will be numbered 23, after a lot of research (and some speculation). The underframe has been virtually completed already, by Foxfield Railway's own engineers; it's only finance that needs to be sorted and then hopefully the uniting of a fully restored body with the underframe will follow in April 2019.

I'm afraid we don't have drawings readily available but a CAD drawing of he ABC is being followed by the first class 228 - almost finished.

Here's two pictures of the two existing restored carriages in the Knotty Heritage Train, thirds 61 and 127, last year, complete with lamp chimneys. They have now carried many hundreds of passengers and, with number 61 dating from 1876 and 127 from only a couple of years later, we think they can claim to be the oldest standard gauge passenger train in regular service in the UK.

post-17236-0-28228500-1504536463_thumb.jpg

post-17236-0-81389100-1504536546_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5D_Stoke
  • Like 12

• 3 months later...

Quick question - what size/type of wheels would these coaches have originally had?

I just realised no-one had replied to this. All the NSR carriages we've preserved would have had (nominally) 3ft 6in carriage sized wheels, and number 61 has been restored with a set of those. But 227 has been restored on a wagon underframe with smaller, 3ft diameter wheels because that's what could be found; it has been suggested that larger wheels and new longer springs are substituted to improve the ride, and that might yet be done, but it would involve substantial changes to the brake system which uses conventional wagon push rods and is not a priority at the moment.

Hope that helps, meanwhile if anyone wants to follow progress on the next two carriages being restored, there is a Facebook group you can join at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/knottytrust/, and there is a public Facebook page about the running of the train and some periodic restoration updates at:: https://www.facebook.com/KnottyCoachTrust/ 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Since the end of August, a great deal of progress has been made with the ABC aka NSR23.

Currently developing the doors and beginning parts production ...

Otherwise;

The roof is on, and awaiting delivery of the canvas.

The passenger interior is largely fitted out and work at the guard's end continues.

Most of the exterior had the beadings on and "final" painting had begun.

The bollections and glass have been delivered, the former still needs some work.

There is still a lot of work to do !

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Since the end of August, a great deal of progress has been made with the ABC aka NSR23.Currently developing the doors and beginning parts production ...Otherwise;The roof is on, and awaiting delivery of the canvas.The passenger interior is largely fitted out and work at the guard's end continues.Most of the exterior had the beadings on and "final" painting had begun.The bollections and glass have been delivered, the former still needs some work.There is still a lot of work to do !

Any chance of a few pictures..

Andy

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No.23 arrived at Foxfield last week and, following much work by volunteers to fit the vacuum pipework, a static and dynamic brake test of the vehicle took place on Sunday afternoon. There is still a lot of work left to get the coach ready for it's launch including fitting the double doors and final painting and lettering, but I have every confidence the vehicle will be ready. This will make the whole rake look like a complete train finally, instead of having to drag the shark brakevan around it will have three matching vehicles and the duckets on the brake will give that finishing touch! Can't wait to see the final results at the launch.

No23 brake testing.jpg

• Like 12