Cambrian Layouts

alanbuttler

A change of club and the consequent raising of the bar (by a considerable distance) combined with a visit to the oncologist and the consequent lowering of the life expectancy has resulted in the bits I'd taken off Pentrefan being nailed back on and exhibition invitations being accepted.

At the moment we will be attending the Olney Show on Saturday 5th September 2020 and Risex 2021 (Date to be confirmed, probably last or second-to-last Saturday in February).

Please don't let anyone get too carried away by this news.  I withdrew Pentrefan from the exhibition circuit just as the standard of stuff available for anyone modelling the Cambrian skyrocketed and Pentrefan is now distinctly second division (some might argue it always was)

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 years later...

Haven't been on here lately, a lot has happened in that Welshpool is now going to be housed in a insulated shed built to house the layout, giving a station area of up to 24 foot, so it is based on 3 4x8 boards , with the rest of the layout being built around the shed giving a continuos running length of approximately 70 feet, baseboards are all built, the basic track plan has been set out, using Peco Bullhead track and some basic testing of all my locos which have been in storage since the mid 80s. Whilst Welshpool has been chosen as it is my home town, it does give some interest besides the Cambrian Line it was the terminus for the Shrewsbury- Welshpool line, giving some LMS/LNWR stock to appear. It was also the terminus for the W&LLR giving some more interest. Since Lockdown i have been busy with finishing off loads of kit Built locos which have now been able to be run on the layout and run in. Interestingly the kit builds all seem happier running on the Bullhead track than the off scene code 100 streamline through the non scenic, fiddleyard/ storage areas. If there is interest then i will start a thread on the layout and its progress, ive not had a proper layout since 1982 so ive lots to learn about layout construction. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, russell price said:

Hoping to build it as it was from the 20s through to the fifties to maximise operating potential. Not fixed period as such but run different eras to add interest.

Ive started a thread in layout topics but it’s early days yet. 

That's something I'm considering with "Aberystwyth" as the fiddle yard (containing four trains) can easily be swapped out for another one.

• Like 1