Dapol 2014/15 Catalogue

rembrow

Hi there

Can you share any more details on these Karhedron?  Such as GNER blue and red for example??

2D-019-001    BR Blue/Grey, Western Set

2D-019-002    First Great Western

2D-019-003    InterCity Executive

2D-019-004    InterCity Swallow

All come as a book set with a powered power car, dummy power car and 2 Mark 3 coaches.

• RMweb Premium

I too had a nice chat with Joel; the 9Fs won't be long--must get one this time round! The blue Doncaster 56 is imminent. Good news with the black-wheeled Brits--just hope they get the cabside number font correct; Alfred the Great very welcome as it ran on the Southern as well as the GE.

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived also today. A very professional and weighty volume of 132 pages.

Listed as new in N are: J72, Grange, BoB/West Country, Schools, Manor, Class 33, Class 68, Class 50, Class 59, disc Class 22, Class 142, Mk 3 TGS, IOA wagon, HIA hopper, MJA twin box, JNA box.

New in OO: LSWR B4, Class 21/29, Class 73, Class 68, GWR Diesel Railcar, Class 121/122, HIA, MJA, IDA super low 45 flats, Turbot.

New in O: Terrier, Class 08, milk and SR pillbox, HEA And HAA hoppers, 10ft wheelbase wagons and vans.

That's an impressive programme if it all works out.

I'm hoping the mew m7 and prairie chassis will be available as spares to upgrade the two m7s and four prairies I have.

Dapol have confirmed on their FB page today that these locos will all be produced as per the original spec and with no upgrades. The toolings will then be retired (probably due to obsolescence rather than degredation). They have said they may redo these locos in future but it would be a full retool rather than an incremental upgrade,

I see there is a difference between provincial and regional railways livery on the 156's... did anyone ask the question if these are the 'express' liveried units?

The catalogue has never been very clear on this. The previous "Regional Railways" release appeared in provincial livery, and this time we have "regional railways" and "provincial railways" (whatever that means). Both the running numbers listed carried the Express livery, but I'd expect it to be another run in provincial as this is obviously a good seller. Would also be nice if the Strathclyde unit is released in the original orange and black this time. Only Dapol will know the answers...

The catalogue has never been very clear on this. The previous "Regional Railways" release appeared in provincial livery, and this time we have "regional railways" and "provincial railways" (whatever that means). Both the running numbers listed carried the Express livery, but I'd expect it to be another run in provincial as this is obviously a good seller. Would also be nice if the Strathclyde unit is released in the original orange and black this time. Only Dapol will know the answers...

The "Express" livery was strictly a Central Trains livery, rather than ever appearing under Regional or Provincial.

Personally I think it was one of the most handsome liveries to appear on the 156, and it did appear in the Dapol catalogue a few years ago. However, along with the National Express East Anglia livery (which I think was intended to be the Central Trains livery with white branding stripe), it was cancelled. This was part of a phase Dapol went through of flooding the market with loads of liveries simultaneously, and then wondering why they didn't all sell.  

The "Express" livery was strictly a Central Trains livery, rather than ever appearing under Regional or Provincial.

Personally I think it was one of the most handsome liveries to appear on the 156, and it did appear in the Dapol catalogue a few years ago. However, along with the National Express East Anglia livery (which I think was intended to be the Central Trains livery with white branding stripe), it was cancelled. This was part of a phase Dapol went through of flooding the market with loads of liveries simultaneously, and then wondering why they didn't all sell.

IIRC the first 156s in RR Express livery appeared before National Express won the Central franchise and they carried Regional Railways branding. This was done as part of the C6 overhaul programme launched by Regional Railways Central in the run-up to privatisation, although it wasn't completed until after CT had taken over. Lima issued a model in this livery with RR branding in the late 90s. I certainly agree that this livery looks good on the 156 and it would be nice to see it on the Dapol model.

Tower models website now has the info that there will be a price increase on Dapol models from April 1st  (given the date, would be wise to check) No new prices available yet.

O gauge locos, all liveries,  also to be available in DCC sound equiped versions.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't notice any new liveries for the 153 or 156 in the latest catalogue - presumably the models shown are those still in the warehouse.

Agree that the Regional Railways Central "158" scheme would be popular and there are a lot of other liveries as yet untapped, such as SPT Orange or the latest Scotrail "Saltire" scheme.

Perhaps the un-sexiness of the 153 and 156 has meant they have not been the greatest sellers - a pity, as they are lovely little models.

I don't think they've been spectacular sellers, but then only a few liveries have hung around long enough to be discounted (Northern, basically). The Regional Railways liveries of both sold out relatively quickly, and have gone through quite a few re-issues. However I do remember Dapol Dave mentioning that he had planned to go back and re-tool the underframe, which is very boxy (like the old Lima model in OO) before reissuing.

But in fact I think there are two new releases of each in the catalogue? 153 in Central Trains and London Midland, and 156 in SPT and "Provincial"? They have the new style reference numbers, whereas the others are old stock with the old N numbers. Unless those models have snuck out recently without me noticing?

• RMweb Premium

I have spoken to Joel @ Dapol about the 156's. He clarified there will be no 'express' livery in the current releases (on facebook) and invited me to email details of the express livery to which he responded...

"Many thanks for the information. I must confess these DMU’s are a bit of a confusion to me so your information was most welcome. I will chat the options over with Andy and Richard  and hopefully  we will add an `Express Liveried’ Regional Class 156 to our range to be manufactured towards the end of 2014. If we do this I will post the news on our website and Facebook."

Hopefully... Fingers and toes crossed...

Steve

B4s listed as:

'Normandy' as preserved

Caen (90) in brown (ie Southampton Docks livery)

88 in Southern green (not sure if this is Maunsell or Bulleid)

30082 in BR black, early emblem

30096 in BR black, late crest

B4s listed as:

'Normandy' as preserved

Caen (90) in brown (ie Southampton Docks livery)

88 in Southern green (not sure if this is Maunsell or Bulleid)

30082 in BR black, early emblem

30096 in BR black, late crest

Cheers for that. Next question is estimated release date? and where does one pre-order... (can't find listed on retailers yet...)

Cheers for that. Next question is estimated release date? and where does one pre-order... (can't find listed on retailers yet...)

Judging by the interest shown hereabouts, they'd be smart to make it soon. Depending on price of course,

Regarding the B4, I have had an in depth look at the Dapol website and I can find no reference whatsoever to the announced B4. Apparently it must be mentioned in the 2014-2015 catalogue, but seems like this cannot be viewed online. I find this quite strange.

Cheers,

Chris

Regarding the B4, I have had an in depth look at the Dapol website and I can find no reference whatsoever to the announced B4. Apparently it must be mentioned in the 2014-2015 catalogue, but seems like this cannot be viewed online. I find this quite strange.

Cheers,

Chris

They do not add much to their website and prefer to sell the catalogue to start with, not sure if any of it has been mentioned on their facebook page either.

Hi All    Kathedron's  listing of B4s makes interesting reading, it means that to be accurate Dapol will have to make 3 virtually completely different bodies, No 82 

will need the K14 Drummond design  Caen will need the closed cab Adams version and 96 and Normandy will need the open cab Adams version with 2 different 

upper cabs and rears. They may be able to get away with a common footplate and alternate buffer beams but B4s are a tricky bunch of locos with many boiler

changes.

The open cab versions and the later closed in variants mean only 2 or 3 locos ever look the same at any time.  If at a later date they go for early liveries they

will need new smokebox/chimney options as well.  I am rather surprised at the choice of the Drummond variant No 82 as that will pretty much double the

cost of body tooling for no great gain. Even more surprising is  " No 88 in Southern Green " as I have never seen any photographic evidence or written 

testimony that any B4/K14s ever had Southern green livery once repainted from LSWR green, not even in preservation !!!  They were black, lined green

if not in docks brown and later had no lining at all !!

I am just wondering if they have done their homework or, as we have seen before, are waiting for the more enlightened to provide freebie help.!!

That's all for now folks     adrianbs

Archived