Metropolitan Bo-Bo EP sample

Multiple identity account

I have seen many many pictures of No.5 in the LTM, both the old display and the new.  The main red/maroon body colour looks different in every one!

I had the same problem when researching 'Tube Red' as against the somewhat brighter 'Bus Red' which later tube and surface stock was painted with.

So they'd been plugged in upside down?

Anyone heard a whisper as to how close the second batch with the older liveries are? I had an email saying due in soon and about the number change but wondered if anyone had said in shops ;)

Layouts up and waiting and all these nice pics of the LT versions plus the S stock also due it's like being a kid again ;)

Not plugged in upside down, they have put the lighting pcb in upside down. Gentle push and flip it over and push back. Much better!

Luke

I took Sherlock Holmes over to DougN's place yesterday and we posed it with some of his Gresley teak non-corridor coaches. While not an accurate pairing, it looked good ... it even looked "right". 

Doug had been doing some clearing up of his workbench which meant that there was some clutter on the layout, but he soon cleared running space, so we sent Sherlock Holmes around his figure-8 circuit. As expected for a Heljan mechanism, it totally ignored the gradients, both up and down hill with three coaches on. At one stage, the train ran into the back of another train with Doug's D16 on the front, and Sherlock Holmes managed to push the dead loco and train half way up the gradient! Adding two more teak coaches also had no effect on the loco's hauling powers or smoothness.

IMAG0765_zpsjisycj7d.jpg

IMAG0768%20cropped_zpsippc62ox.jpg

IMAG0769%20cropped_zpstfxpwusb.jpg

• Like 7

I have just had the same from Hattons, ;) should arrive in a few days time. My layout is late 1930s Southern Railway with some third rail electrics(Bil/Hal/Nols) & steam as well. I came across a picture recently of Sarah Siddons with the preserved 4SUB(sometime in the 1980s I think) running somewhere between Lewes & Brighton.  That's my excuse for buying No.9 John Milton. :yes: I had a feeling that Sarah Siddons did appear on the Waterloo/Portsmouth main line with a train, I cannot seem to find any photos, :read: does anyone know if this did happen & when?  :dontknow:

Edited by paulaspinell

Paul,

As noted in an earlier post of mine, No 9 would have run in that livery between about 1928 and 1933 so that is most appropriate.  However I have not read any reference to 3-rail running until the preservation era with Sarah Siddons.

I'm sure you're right pre-preservation, they did not stray from Metropolitan/,Rickmansworth/Baker St/LIverpool St. route. I'll just say that the Southern Railway at the time was looking at developing an idea on electric locomotives(trialling the Met Bo-Bo) after all in the 1940s they did have three very useful electric locos. Nos 20001/2/3.Let's say it's modellers licence. I just happen to like them, having travelled behind Sarah Siddons a few times back when they were running 'Steam on the Met'.

Guest spet0114

Email from Hattons - No. 20 is on it's way! :)

Just in time for the next club running night. Now where did I put those old Grafar LNER suburbans.....

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

Can someone please advise me as to the best passenger stock to run with John Hamden,preferably not teak coloured.I guess it will be something from Hornby's range.

Thanks in advance.

They hauled teak-finished stock. 20-ton brake vans are the other possibility but it's your layout, so run what you fancy.

CHRIS LEIGH

It needs to be Dreadnought stock but there aren't any RTR. Just kits from Radley Models and maybe by now Mousa Models.

The good news is that although these started life as teak coaches by LT days they were all just painted brown.

Radley has a building service so you can order them RTR. http://radleymodels.com/dreadnoughts-and-battery-locos.html

I've only ever built one:-

post-7723-0-19483100-1442930584_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can someone please advise me as to the best passenger stock to run with John Hamden,preferably not teak coloured.I guess it will be something from Hornby's range.

Thanks in advance.

Hey I'm running some carmine Gresley suburbans - they seem to be the nearest thing though they should be brown.. or Teak

The third class coach needs an extra compartment, the tops of the doors need to be rounded - plus a few other rather important details :)

But nothing really stands in for the actual dreadnoughts..

I'm saving up for some kits and then I'll try to fine someone who would really enjoy (and get paid) putting them together for me - my alias where painting is concerned is Klutz!

But I do think that pulling a rake of Gresleys looks better than having it pull a rake of containers round the layout..

Edited by Bill

Well this model is certainly tugging at the purse strings.

Last week I was all set to purchase Sherlock Holmes, what with the Baker Street destination board and being a big fan of the books and films etc. Easy decision right.......

Then the two Metropolitan versions turn up on the Hattons website, No. 20 looks superb with the extra lining, gold/brass headlamp surrounds and the Metropolitan lettering and no bright red underframe, but then look at John Milton with the superb handrails picked out in brass/gold.

Decisions decisions, even the wartime grey liveried one looks lovely. Surely Heljan have a winner on their hands here.

Edited by AshleyH

...The good news is that although these started life as teak coaches by LT days they were all just painted brown...

May I bore for England once again on the subject of 'The Big Four in Colour 1935-50'. While I am invincibly ignorant on the topic of the OXO, this title contains a reproduction of a good clear photo claimed to be taken September 1937, showing part of a coach side in varnished teak, bearing the legend METROPOLITAN and a most attractive lining scheme, rendered in an ivory tone. I am as certain as one can be that it is varnished teak, since there is a wide range of tones in discrete panels, with grain visible. (The photo cannot be any earlier than mid 1936, since a loco that first entered traffic April 1936 is the main subject.)

So at minimum this is the best part of three years elapsed since the LPTB was formed in 1933. Whether this coach livery scheme then potentially overlaps with the liveries available on these model BoBos, I leave to those who actually know the subject.

I was really referring to the time that John Hampden was running in post-war LT maroon livery, ie 1955 to 1962 when it was withdrawn for departmental use. Colour photos from this period (London Transport in Colour 1950-1969, Ian Allan) show only painted coaches with red brake ends in LT livery. Many coaches have also had lower door panel mouldings covered with smooth panels on an ad-hoc basis, presumably to cover damage.

Actually there is a nice picture of No.5 with Dreadnought stock at Amersham on 26 May 1963 as part of the Metropolitan centenary celebrations on page 19 of the above mentioned book. Of course it is in pristine condition.

I wasn't going to buy any of these - just not my area of interest. Somehow, I now own two of them. If Heljan, Hornby or Bachmann don't make some coaches to go with them, I think they're very foolish. As others have said on the S Stock thread, I also hope Bachmann use their new low-profile EMU chassis to produce some vintage Underground stock. Has OO gauge modelling ever offered so many possibilities?

I'm sure you're right pre-preservation, they did not stray from Metropolitan/,Rickmansworth/Baker St/LIverpool St. route. I'll just say that the Southern Railway at the time was looking at developing an idea on electric locomotives(trialling the Met Bo-Bo) after all in the 1940s they did have three very useful electric locos. Nos 20001/2/3.Let's say it's modellers licence. I just happen to like them, having travelled behind Sarah Siddons a few times back when they were running 'Steam on the Met'.

They also worked GWR passenger trains from Paddington Bishop's Rd/ Suburban to Liverpool St and Aldgate as well as the monthly stores train from Hammersmith (H&C) to Neasden. Another stores train was from Ealing Common to East Ham/Little Ilford depot. Ocasional trips were made along the Uxbridge branch both on passenger and involved in car transfers between Neasden and Acton Wors. These were top and tailed to Rayners Lane where they reversed and the now rear loco was detached. Very later years saw them used as depot shunters at Ealing Common Depot and a couple of other depots whose names evade me at the moment. There was the temporary use of two locos top and tailing about 6 wagons during the 1930s on the GN&C line in connection with work (again the nature of which evades me atm). A final note is that the use of these locos was considered on the through Ealing Broadway- Southend services on the District and LT&SR- but only in a back up capacity. It is believed that this never actually happened.

• Like 1