adapting a Bachmann ROD into J & A Brown Richmond Vale Railway No.23

So, I have the urge for a quick table top modelling project as a bit of relaxation away from my usual subjects, and have fancied one of these since I saw an article in Steam many many decades ago about the fabled Dorrigo Collection, which includes two of the J & A Brown RODs.

post-238-0-74659500-1395319945.jpg

post-238-0-61823900-1395320262_thumb.jpg

As far as I can see, the principle differences from the Bachmann BR ROD (cheaply available from ehattons) are:

fatter, taller original GCR chimney,

safety valves

smoke box dart hand wheel

fluted buffers

electric headlight front and rear

cast number plates, 20, 23 or 24 etc

My question would be, where can I get the replacement chimney, safety valves and smoke box wheel and buffers from, and does anyone supply suitable cast plates?

At one point I thought the Bachmann GWR ROD was going to be supplied with the fatter taller chimney, according to early pics (including the ones on ehattons) but having seen it in the flesh, it has the same chimney as the LNER/BR version.

Intention is a quick, fun job, not a super detail conversion.  I just like the real 8Ks a lot, and fancy having an industrial locomotive that's a bit different from the usual Austerity tank or Peckett!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

The major problem is the Bachmann ROD is OO. If you're doing the J&A Brown version, anything you pull would be HO.

Branchlines makes an HO kit of the ROD. There is actually one completed as J&A Brown no. 24 on Ebay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Branchlines-HO-R-O-D-2-8-0-Steam-Locomotive-Assembled-Ready-to-Run-KF22-/171068121484

Cheers

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

DJM Dave has visited Dorrigo and photographed both the RODs on site, providing some excellent detail shots:

http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p791078708 (between pages 4 and 11)

These from yesterday.

The greatest disgrace in preservation.

I was there in 1981 and the only change is that everything is crumbling at a faster rate and the ownership is in one despot's hands.

This isn't the Barry of the southern hemisphere because it IS a graveyard.

post-1733-0-89021600-1518394109_thumb.jpg

post-1733-0-97348800-1518394139_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/02/2018 at 11:09, LaScala said:

These from yesterday.

The greatest disgrace in preservation.

I was there in 1981 and the only change is that everything is crumbling at a faster rate and the ownership is in one despot's hands.

This isn't the Barry of the southern hemisphere because it IS a graveyard.

post-1733-0-89021600-1518394109_thumb.jpg

post-1733-0-97348800-1518394139_thumb.jpg

minimal difference between photos taken in 1984 and from what i saw in person August last year. Typical soapbox keyboard warrior.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It all depends what time frame you wish to model them in for the Aussie ROD's in the 1950's were kept gleaming clean even though they were humble freight locos. Later in the 60's and early 70's they became very shabby in appearance. I have a colour photograph in a book by Ron Selems showing ROD 24 pausing at Richmond Vale Junction to take water and another in B&W of ROD 16 in the same location. One B&W photo of ROD 23 dropping it's fire at Pelaw Main shed and all three locos are so clean you could eat the proverbial dinner off them.  There was also on the right hand side of the smoke box looking forward from the cab the brackets for the Westinghouse air pump that was never fitted as all the trains of wooden hoppers wagon were non air hoppers. The Book is titled "Steam in the Fifties" and was published by the RTM.