Twright's 4mm CAD workbench - Series 2 Land Rover

Looks good, what's the smaller diameter tube inside the boiler for?

Edit - looks like it was just the angle of the render and it's the smaller diameter of the boiler itself.

Yes, it's just the inside of the boiler at a thickness that'll print

The lubricator pipe cover (the thing behind the chimney) isn't as wide as you've made it. The prototype is probably about 5" wide, and straddles the front tank strap. Not sure about its lateral position though.

Is this better?

post-19880-0-37204700-1397658284_thumb.jpg

These are the gears for the gearbox in the order they will go in:

attachicon.gifgearbox.jpg

This is a reduction of 32:1

That looks highly promising. I particularly like the way you've attached the initial spur to the back of the bevel. 

I'm all for low-resistance drivetrains to the extent that I refuse to use worm gears in my experimental builds.

Is this better?

Yes, although I don't know whether the cover fitted on the preserved 1638 is prototypical. The 54xx looks like it could be a different pattern. You'll need a standard plate top like the 54xx though.

You really need a good overhead shot of 1638 - someone must have one? Or put out a request for anyone visiting the Kent & East Sussex this summer.

Yes, although I don't know whether the cover fitted on the preserved 1638 is prototypical. The 54xx looks like it could be a different pattern. You'll need a standard plate top like the 54xx though.

You really need a good overhead shot of 1638 - someone must have one? Or put out a request for anyone visiting the Kent & East Sussex this summer.

Looking at the plans I have it should have 2 levels to it instead of 1 with a slope to the tanks - I'll change it.

So near, and yet so far.

Maybe these parts could be printed as separate fittings, so that builders can add / modify them before fitting them.

That looks highly promising. I particularly like the way you've attached the initial spur to the back of the bevel. 

I'm all for low-resistance drivetrains to the extent that I refuse to use worm gears in my experimental builds.

Thanks, it should work nicely transferring the power from the motor in the firebox along the inside of the frames to the middle axle.

Separate door, for those who want to try making one that opens up?

Not hinged but yes - if I get round to doing it I'll make an imitation of the end of the tubes if I can get a picture of them or if I can't I'll use my experiences of a 4575 to make an interpretation.

I noticed when I had uploaded it to Shapeways that on the render of it, the chimney appears to be solid however I had drawn it hollow connecting through to the smokebox. It is the same for white plastic and FUD even though I believe it meets the criteria for a hollow object. Can anyone help with this/what have I done wrong?

Archived