Twright's 4mm CAD workbench - Series 2 Land Rover

I noticed when I had uploaded it to Shapeways that on the render of it, the chimney appears to be solid however I had drawn it hollow connecting through to the smokebox. It is the same for white plastic and FUD even though I believe it meets the criteria for a hollow object. Can anyone help with this/what have I done wrong?

You may have a hole in that is exactly the same size as the chimney so has a residual incredibly thin wall.  May be worth loading the mesh into meshlab or similar tools and blowing up that area in detail to see what has happened and if it thinks the mesh is corrupted/invalid in some way.

You may have a hole in that is exactly the same size as the chimney so has a residual incredibly thin wall.  May be worth loading the mesh into meshlab or similar tools and blowing up that area in detail to see what has happened and if it thinks the mesh is corrupted/invalid in some way.

There is a wall of 0.7mm (the minimum for white plastic) around the centre hole.

There is a wall of 0.7mm (the minimum for white plastic) around the centre hole.

No no. You may find there's a near infinitely thin wall across the top of the chimney that your CAD tool isn't showing is is generating when the cutout wasn't quite perfect

Shapeways uploader seems to try and fix errors in meshes (as opposed to design rule violations) on upload and if you have holes disappearing it usually means your mesh isn't quite right or you have some kind of degenerate surface lurking.

• RMweb Premium

Tom, it looks like you've left no way to access the cab interior, apart from the windows. It's going to be difficult to paint.

Consider making the cab floor a separate, removable part.

No no. You may find there's a near infinitely thin wall across the top of the chimney that your CAD tool isn't showing is is generating when the cutout wasn't quite perfect

Shapeways uploader seems to try and fix errors in meshes (as opposed to design rule violations) on upload and if you have holes disappearing it usually means your mesh isn't quite right or you have some kind of degenerate surface lurking.

Oh, sorry - I've had a look on the drawing and there doesn't seem to be any wall there. I'll have a closer look later.

Tom, it looks like you've left no way to access the cab interior, apart from the windows. It's going to be difficult to paint. Consider making the cab floor a separate, removable part.

I won't make the cab floor a separate part as the wheel arches and chassis go under it and they are permanently fixed. I will however make the cab roof removeable as I still have to add the details inside the cab.

On a related note - does anyone have any pictures of the inside of a 16xx cab that I could use for reference? (or perhaps 64xx as I guess they are similar).

• 4 weeks later...

Incidentally, comparing the smokebox door and front of the 16xx and the 48/58/14xx auto-tanks respectively, I was struck by the similarity and wondered if both classes shared the same door and door ring. I also thought the chimney looked similar (though not the base).

Incidentally, comparing the smokebox door and front of the 16xx and the 48/58/14xx auto-tanks respectively, I was struck by the similarity and wondered if both classes shared the same door and door ring. I also thought the chimney looked similar (though not the base).

I don't know. I suppose it's just GWR standardisation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Other recent progress includes a GWR 5 plank wagon (although it may also be suitable for other regions)

post-19880-0-13960500-1400683491_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-55229400-1400683493_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-53049200-1400683495_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-36084700-1400683498_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-17538900-1400683500_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-82545200-1400683502_thumb.jpg

This side is now done, just the other 3 to go and the chassis.

Other projects are in the pipeline but will wait until the announcements from Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

I think that's enough detail in the cab. Any more will be both difficult to paint and see. It's easier for the modeller to add more than to remove what's already there.

I've done the cab steps, the coupling hooks that will be supplied can be seen in the background (a third one will be included so you can lose one). This also means apart from the smokebox door, the body side of the 16xx is done so long as nothing is pointed out to be wrong.

msg-19880-0-22741100-1400858624_thumb.jp

You can tell I'm on holiday with 2 updates today, I have done the chassis frames now, leaving just the brake gear, the outside of the gearbox, smokebox door and a few other sundry items such as sand boxes and NEM pockets to make unless anyone has any suggestions/comments?

post-19880-0-22680900-1400873246_thumb.jpg

On the chassis could you mark the cut outs for those who would like to fit sliding horn blocks?

You have mentioned a gearbox. i suggest you use an off the shelf gear box from High Level models.

Holes for hand rails?

Have you removed the central section of the foot plate between the smoke and fire box?

As the loco is a BR build how do you intend the smoke box number plate be mounted?

Gordon A

Bristol

Looks great Tom. Just one point, might it not be easier to buy NEM pockets and add them to the model rather than make them, purely because if you get it slightly wrong it won't work properly?

Thanks.

Good point, I will make the cut out so that the ones from Bachmann can be put in then but also have it so that the mounting plate can be removed.

On the chassis could you mark the cut outs for those who would like to fit sliding horn blocks?

Do you mean have little inset lines to show where they should go or have them ready cut out? Either way yes I can, if you can tell me where I find the measurements for them. 

You have mentioned a gearbox. i suggest you use an off the shelf gear box from High Level models.

I am making the gearbox a separate item so that you can choose between an off the shelf one or the printed one (which you would still have to make up, it won't be printed as 1 item).

Holes for hand rails?

That is one of the things I still have to do, I will be putting holes in to guide you where to put the Alan Gibson handrail brackets. As a side note, should they be the short type and if so what diameter and length are the plugs that go in to the body?

Have you removed the central section of the foot plate between the smoke and fire box?

I have:

post-19880-0-26496600-1400921205_thumb.jpg

As the loco is a BR build how do you intend the smoke box number plate be mounted?

It will be molded on with the hinges when I finish the smokebox door, a separate one will be made if you wish to model 1638 in it's GWR preserved state without it along with the different pipe cover behind the chimney.

I hope this helps.

I have now thanks to a plugin from Fredo6, through 69843, done the curves on the bunker both inside and outside. I will also be able to redo the chimney, dome and safety valve joins to the tanks and make a start on my next project if I want.

post-19880-0-03342700-1401116251_thumb.jpg

The GWR Railcar:

msg-19880-0-93107100-1401554422_thumb.jp

I know Dapol are introducing the curved version at some point but I don't think they are introducing these. I was thinking about a Lima version but seeing that I would generally need to spend about £50 and then have to improve it to make it look better, I though that designing one would be more satisfying.

Archived