Twright's 4mm CAD workbench - Series 2 Land Rover

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting to see what comes up.

The earliest that they will be put up with final pictures is the 5th September, when I know they are being built/accepted I will put shapeways renders up.

Looking good.

What is the final ratio of the gear box?

Gordon A

Bristol

Thanks

48:1 (if it works) and it is meant to be 8.8mm wide

As the models are now in production I am looking at what major model I should produce next (assuming all goes to plan with the 16xx). At the moment I have started on the GWR razor edge railcar but I also have plans for Fowler 421 and Collett Goods.

Would people be happy for me to do the Railcar, one of the other 2, or something completely different?

The land rover isn't a major model, that is a sideline (like the simplex)

I can't wait to see the printed 16xx Tom, each time I see your thread updated I wonder if it'll be a picture of the final product! :D

Hopefully it won't disappoint, It'll be shipped on the 4th September so it'll hopefully arrive around next weekend.

I can't wait to see the printed 16xx Tom, each time I see your thread updated I wonder if it'll be a picture of the final product! :D

Can't wait either.

The high-efficiency back-drivable gearbox has so many other applications, and would be particularly useful in diesel drivetrains.

The Collet Goods is available from Bachman so I would not waste your time.

How about the two car set of the GWR razor edge unit instead of a single car unit?

Looking forward to the 16xx.

Gordon

I have the said model but it is starting to look a bit dated so I included it as a possibility (it isn't listed on the website though)

I have the plans for the twin unit and I was going to do them both in tandem as they share many parts.

Thanks

It would be a challenge, but the Riddles 2MT would be fantastic

Tank or tender? I have the plans for the tank version and was considering but was put off by the valve gear, if I can work out how to get it to work then that (along with a large Prairie - with which I have the same problem) would be made (assuming no-one gets in before me and I know that you can get the Hornby prairie but like the Collett goods mentioned above, it's getting on a bit)

Can't wait either.

The high-efficiency back-drivable gearbox has so many other applications, and would be particularly useful in diesel drivetrains.

Thanks, If I do the railcar then a drivetrain would be made to fit in one (or both) of the bogies, which would possibly be even better.

Tank or tender? I have the plans for the tank version and was considering but was put off by the valve gear....

Whether tank or tender, you could consider a body-only option, which then leaves P4/S4 people like me free to source our own chassis and motion (i.e. Comet)

TW,

Your lamp lenses appear to be flat when they should be bulls eye i.e. curved.

Gordon A

Bristol

They are flat only in the middle and only for a diameter of just over 1mm. At 4mm scale it might not make a difference. If needed I can change them if it is too bad in real life.

• 3 weeks later...

The prints have finally been finished and are being shipped after some problems with colouring. I am gathering some more images of the GWR razor edge railcar, with a view to getting the power bogies done when I order next, the only reason for this is so the cost of it is spread out (I only have limited funds). Other items will be done in tandem, the twin car set being one of them. I might also do some buildings, is there interest in that area?

In terms of buildings, there might be interest in small, lineside buildings which could be used by many layouts and eras. Maybe not a small hut, but perhaps something a bit different. I'm not an expert in these things so I'll let others give opinions on it

Pictures Pt1 - Lamps and Buckets, the chassis for the Fowler 421 and Simplexes

These are as they came out of the box.

Lamps and Buckets:

post-19880-0-02012900-1411064842_thumb.jpg

The buckets is about 4mm in diameter as a guide

Chassis for the Fowler 421:

post-19880-0-80986500-1411064866_thumb.jpg

There are 2 as I will be making one and so will a friend of mine. These won't be for sale unless there are requests for it.

Simplexes:

post-19880-0-76929600-1411065103_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-09134000-1411065113_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-74138700-1411065130_thumb.jpg

The front cab support was damaged in transit but it was a simple matter of just moving the upright back. The cabless simplex failed the manual check (someone had forgotten to check that it was all one mesh before sending it in :banghead: ) 

Pt2 - the 16xx

I cleaned the cogs on the gearbox up with a cocktailstick as there was still some wax on them, other than that they are as they came out of the box. The only damage was 2 of the lamp irons on the front and the 2 front guard irons (for want of a better term) for the wheels, both of which were damaged in transit/factory handling but probably due to the walls being too near the limit for WSF. Depending on opinion, I might alter this and then put it for sale but if you (those interested) don't mind then I will put it up anyway. Anyway pictures:

post-19880-0-94968800-1411065895_thumb.jpg

All of the cogs

post-19880-0-31408400-1411065902_thumb.jpg

4 of them in the gearbox, this does actually turn and reduce the speed of the cogs, I only tested it by hand not having connected the motor up yet.

post-19880-0-17863100-1411065916_thumb.jpg

The chassis and detail bits such as doors and coupling hooks. The NEM pockets do accept the Bachmann type, I haven't tried Hornby.

post-19880-0-59871400-1411065937_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-95555500-1411065981_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-16059200-1411065990_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-68314600-1411065995_thumb.jpg

The loco with the smokebox only resting on the front.

When I get a chance, I will put the loco together properly and hopefully do a running video.

Archived