Twright's 4mm CAD workbench - Series 2 Land Rover

• RMweb Gold

I only stumbled on this thread a couple of days ago. You done a cracking job with the 16xx and the lamp/bucket set looks great. I'd like to offer another suggestion to further improve the 16xx. If you look at the pic that Miss Prism on the first page (#5), you can see good detail of the front cab windows. Getting them the right shape would improve the looks no end. Add the radiused corners and close the top part across the front (you'll notice that the windows do not go up to, nor follow the line of the roof), maybe lower them a bit towards the tanks too.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Having started to assemble it there are a few other things that I would like to change so I know it will reliably print.

If anyone else spots any problems or would like pictures of areas that they have doubts about to check please say, I can then change it and order it again. When I get a chance I will motorize the chassis and see if there are any problems there.

So far the only problems are (* means I think I've sorted it)

Lamp irons*

Guard irons*

Front cab windows

Rear NEM socket*

Some pictures:

post-19880-0-63553800-1411159684_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-49488400-1411159710_thumb.jpg

This is about the correct amount of difference between the cabs of the 8750 and 1600 panniers

post-19880-0-39668700-1411159730_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-35191300-1411160014_thumb.jpg

The gearbox arrangement, with 3 cogs missing.

Pt2 - the 16xx

I cleaned the cogs on the gearbox up with a cocktailstick as there was still some wax on them, other than that they are as they came out of the box. The only damage was 2 of the lamp irons on the front and the 2 front guard irons (for want of a better term) for the wheels, both of which were damaged in transit/factory handling but probably due to the walls being too near the limit for WSF. Depending on opinion, I might alter this and then put it for sale but if you (those interested) don't mind then I will put it up anyway. Anyway pictures:

attachicon.gifIMG_0857.JPG

All of the cogs

attachicon.gifIMG_0859.JPG

4 of them in the gearbox, this does actually turn and reduce the speed of the cogs, I only tested it by hand not having connected the motor up yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_0863.JPG

The chassis and detail bits such as doors and coupling hooks. The NEM pockets do accept the Bachmann type, I haven't tried Hornby.

attachicon.gifIMG_0866.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0867.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0868.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0870.JPG

The loco with the smokebox only resting on the front.

When I get a chance, I will put the loco together properly and hopefully do a running video.

That looks highly encouraging. Let me know when the 16xx and gearbox go on sale.

Unfortunately, the gearbox failed today while I was test running it. The bevel gears weren't engaging and the cogs connected by an axle split from each other. This means that I will have to have a rethink about the gearbox, and may go back to a standard worm gear type if I can't get the bevels working.

Hi Tom,

1) Which axle are you driving on to?

Looks like the middle one - in which case is the gearbox visible on a side on eye level view?

2) Whats the dimension between the splasher faces from one side to the other?

3) Why the raised base for the cab side number plate. I think an etched number plate will work out at about scale thickness?

4) The hand rail knob holes look a bit on the large side?

Gordon A

Bristol

Bevels should work. You may want to think about:

1. Moving the centres until they mate properly; or

2. Increasing the size of the bevels.

They did work for a bit (until the other cog broke) but the tolerances on the spindles were too great so it kept moving over and disengaging also because they are only about 2.5mm across, there isn't very much for them to lock together on.

The break was also a clean break so there is nothing to show where it was so it can't be aligned. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

1) Which axle are you driving on to?

Looks like the middle one - in which case is the gearbox visible on a side on eye level view?

It is but it is where the ashpan is so it doesn't look out of place, the cogs aren't visible below it either. http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/images/1638-3_600px.jpg

2) Whats the dimension between the splasher faces from one side to the other?

Inside it is 24mm, does this sound right?

3) Why the raised base for the cab side number plate. I think an etched number plate will work out at about scale thickness?

Alan Buttler requested them to help line up cabside number plates, it is only raised by 0.2mm, which is the minimum needed to show up in this material.

4) The hand rail knob holes look a bit on the large side?

They look it but it is a tight fit to get Alan Gibson knobs in.

• 1 month later...

Pictures Pt1 - Lamps and Buckets, the chassis for the Fowler 421 and Simplexes

These are as they came out of the box.

Lamps and Buckets:

attachicon.gifIMG_0845.JPG

The buckets is about 4mm in diameter as a guide

Chassis for the Fowler 421:

attachicon.gifIMG_0848.JPG

There are 2 as I will be making one and so will a friend of mine. These won't be for sale unless there are requests for it.

Simplexes:

attachicon.gifIMG_0850.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0853.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0856.JPG

The front cab support was damaged in transit but it was a simple matter of just moving the upright back. The cabless simplex failed the manual check (someone had forgotten to check that it was all one mesh before sending it in :banghead: ) 

I bought some of your lamps and am well pleased with them.

John

The spark arresting chimney would make a good separate piece to be included with it. I was looking into doing one for the 57XX myself, but might leave that in your capable hands now

Hi 69843,

I know you post was a while ago now but I wondered if this might be of any interest to you still.

About two years ago I wanted to modify two of my Bachmann 57xx / 8750 pannier tanks to spark arrestor fitted examples and in the absence of a replacement chimney from the trade I produced a batch of turned brass s-a chimneys in my own workshop.

I still have some left so if you needed one PM me and we can arrange something.

Regards

Hi 69843,

I know you post was a while ago now but I wondered if this might be of any interest to you still.

About two years ago I wanted to modify two of my Bachmann 57xx / 8750 pannier tanks to spark arrestor fitted examples and in the absence of a replacement chimney from the trade I produced a batch of turned brass s-a chimneys in my own workshop.

I still have some left so if you needed one PM me and we can arrange something.

Regards

Good grief, I'd nearly forgotten about that post!

I don't actually need one myself sadly, so I'm going to have to pass. Thank you for the offer though

I have got the 16xx ready for another test print (except thin walls), you can see the cab window radius here:

post-19880-0-35216800-1416073050.jpg

The gearbox has been redesigned to have (hopefully) working bevel gears however it has messed up my reduction so its now only at 16:1 instead of 48:1 so that will need fixing before it's ready, I hope to solve that tomorrow.

The gearbox has now got a reduction of 27:1 which is better, still fast but difficult to get anything better in. 

post-19880-0-21567000-1416154835.jpg 

(shown as they will be printed)

Edit: The order has been placed now so they will hopefully arrive around the end of November.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit later than I hoped but I hit a few problems. The prints arrived today and so the Cabless Simplex has been made available to sell (together with the 2 other types). I will take pictures of them all later today and so the 16xx should (if it all works as I hope) be available to buy by the end of this week, but I might have to extend this if it doesn't all work as planned.

Archived