NYMR platform at Whitby.

Worsdell forever

That's what I understand also, heard until early July, which I believe means 3 NR registered locos are required to be rostered on most days.

Currently this involves the 25 and 2 steam locos, the 25 just being involved on the Grosmont-Whitby section.

• RMweb Gold

Been over the 'New Bridge' this afternoon and glanced across and noticed that the turnout at the 'outer' end of the loop has been laid, this was a kit of parts (bit like a C&L one) in the compound last night. Didn't have my camera with me unfortunately.

Shame really that there isnt some small box to be built. Surely that would be the best option, even if just a portacabin to start with.

Yes you might be able to get more trains down, but its not going to be much fun if you need to stop short of the point, unclamp it and then drive into the station with the ground crew having been on the train. Then have something similar on departure. I would think its best to have them there in advance.

Shame really that there isnt some small box to be built. Surely that would be the best option, even if just a portacabin to start with.

Yes you might be able to get more trains down, but its not going to be much fun if you need to stop short of the point, unclamp it and then drive into the station with the ground crew having been on the train. Then have something similar on departure. I would think its best to have them there in advance.

The points won't be clamped they are locked from the larger of the two ground frames.  But stopping short and the member of staff leaving the train to work the frame is exactly what's going to happen, the frame is unlocked by the DOKT carried by the loco so the GFO has to meet the train and walk back to the frame anyway so that wouldn't gain you anything.  The thing is the NYMR has had to pay for this (the best part of a million quid) and to do anything more fancy, like motorised points etc, was WAY out of our price budget, it doesn't mean it won't happen in the future, it's just not happening now.  Please don't bug me as to when, I/we don't know, it's just chalked up as something we'd like to happen when the money becomes available.

• RMweb Gold

The points won't be clamped they are locked from the larger of the two ground frames.  But stopping short and the member of staff leaving the train to work the frame is exactly what's going to happen, the frame is unlocked by the DOKT carried by the loco so the GFO has to meet the train and walk back to the frame anyway so that wouldn't gain you anything.  The thing is the NYMR has had to pay for this (the best part of a million quid) and to do anything more fancy, like motorised points etc, was WAY out of our price budget, it doesn't mean it won't happen in the future, it's just not happening now.  Please don't bug me as to when, I/we don't know, it's just chalked up as something we'd like to happen when the money becomes available.

The delay on departure will of course be somewhat longer as the GFO, whoever it happens to be (and it would be more sensible to use a member of traincrew as Boris has said) will have to walk the length of the train to get the token back to the loco once the 'frame has been closed, cue expensive walkway as well as the other works;)  Providing motor points would strike me as a considerable waste of money as they would offer no gain at all.

The real capacity gainer is splitting the NSKT section at Grosmont but as Boris has already indicated NR wanted silly money to do that so I suspect it will never happen unless the NYMR wins the lottery or whatever (or lands a really big grant from someone) so this is probably not a bad investment as an alternative and will presumably in any case require a token machine to be installed at Whitby, which won't be cheap, in order to shut-in the NYMR train.

What did intrigue me however was mention of a shunting token (if I read things properly) - obviously in theory if not in practice there has to be some way of maintaining the equivalent of Absolute Block in the NYMR and it would seem to me that the logical way of doing that would be to use a train staff which would co-operatively release the connection from NR with the NSKT token and that connection could only be reversed with the engine release points GF locked normal or also provided with a spring slot.

Battersby has a shunting token tied into the DOKT to allow you to use the loop safely, it's an Annetts key locked in an instrument tied to the block system, it'll be something similar at Whitby I think.

I'm not sure what points you're looking at edward, they look like flat bottom to me.

I see the points have bullhead rail, wonder where they came from.

Edward

I doubt any of the points in this job are bullhead. As a customer you could go to any switch and crossing manufacturer and state what material you want the points made in, bullhead included. London Underground would be a little lost without this service methinks.

Nice to see - The beginning if the end of the Beeching era inspired single track minimalistic terminus which has blighted branch lines for @ 50 years?

XF

This line received a similar hatchet job.. If only it was still there.

post-4034-0-65682400-1397591046_thumb.jpg

Archived