NYMR platform at Whitby.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Premium

Work is coming on nicely. Mention was made of requiring a hydraulic bufferstop at Whitby and potential "realignment" of the Co-ops wall at the back of the new platform. Will be great getting 5 trains a day to/from WHitby and no more top and tailing with steam/diesel as in today.

New Gresley 3rd in service today which looked beautiful as did the Black 5s.

Strange seeing Bittern being used as a reach wagon to move the Std 5 in the shed though...

• RMweb Gold

Had another walk round with my camera tonight and being a bit later I arrived at Bog Hall just as the NYMR train was arriving.

post-7104-0-30058300-1398969819_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-47874100-1398969831_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-71516500-1398969843_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-37145600-1398969858_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-09456800-1398969871_thumb.jpg

I'll let you guess who this reprobate is...

post-7104-0-64416600-1398969886_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-46305500-1398969963_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-10629300-1398969978_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-73905000-1398969989_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There's not really that much to say, they're doing exciting stuff like running cables and building platform faces, I can take photos if you like but tbh one cable trunk looks much like another, ditto for a platform face.

Thanks for the update, Boris.

Maybe we should start a thread about differing forms of cable trunking?

Any further news on likely completion and commencement of services?

Many thanks for this thread. I used to live at Pickering in the 90's and did some volunteering for the NYMR, but paid job pressures cut that to very little (Philip Benham, now GM NYMR, was my boss in BR for part of that time - poor so-and-so....). Expansion such as this and the new roof at Pickering were but pipe dreams then - the new C&W shed at Pickering was our ambition at that time. Well done to all for getting so far with this, it is really fantastic to see it happen. 

Some pics I took about 7 hours ago

Here's a shot showing where they have laid concrete to start building at the other end of the platform which is opposite the old Engine shed, itll be a nice long platform when its done.

20140520_101449.jpg

This shows the section of the wall they are waiting for the Co-op to authorise moving, (I counted 25 brick panels from a sprayed on mark on the wall which i assume is as far as they can build the platform to, which is were the blue sign on the wall is on the left of the image, so I'd guess the wall needs moving from there to the panel with the smaller black square painted on it.

20140520_101457.jpg

Platform front

20140520_102450.jpg

20140520_102458.jpg

20140520_103621.jpg

20140520_103629.jpg

GroundFrame

20140520_103603.jpg

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow....that blends in nicely with the old station surrounding it!!!...lol........at least paint the old one to match! The old one sticks out like a sore thumb now..... ;)

Or paint the bits the driver can't see black.

Wow....that blends in nicely with the old station surrounding it!!!...lol........at least paint the old one to match! The old one sticks out like a sore thumb now..... ;)

I wouldn't worry - t'seagulls will soon have that a different colour - it is conveniently close to the station buffet.....

Just like to say this forum even though I'm not a current railway modeller, is the only friendly place I've found which has a thread about the ongoing work at Whitby, one forum was the complete opposite of this one (that feeling when you walk into a local country pub and everyone turns to look at you as if you're a fart in a spacesuit...lol) and I was out of there like a flash.

I used to be a railway modeller some 20 years ago, I'm now more of a 3d modeller and have built Whitby station as it was circa 1900 with its roof on. It's hard to find somewhere where people are interested in both Railways and 3dmodelling. If anyone would like to see some images of it let me know via private message....

:-)

• RMweb Gold

Just like to say this forum even though I'm not a current railway modeller, is the only friendly place I've found which has a thread about the ongoing work at Whitby, one forum was the complete opposite of this one (that feeling when you walk into a local country pub and everyone turns to look at you as if you're a fart in a spacesuit...lol) and I was out of there like a flash.

I used to be a railway modeller some 20 years ago, I'm now more of a 3d modeller and have built Whitby station as it was circa 1900 with its roof on. It's hard to find somewhere where people are interested in both Railways and 3dmodelling. If anyone would like to see some images of it let me know via private message....

:-)

I'm not sure if this would be the right thread but why not go ahead and post some images anyway.  Have a look at the list of forums and see where your type of railway modelling fits, I'm sure there's room for it somewhere on the forum.

I'm not sure if this would be the right thread but why not go ahead and post some images anyway.  Have a look at the list of forums and see where your type of railway modelling fits, I'm sure there's room for it somewhere on the forum.

And where ever you do post it on a thread here, be sure to post a link as I for one would like to see some pictures of your work.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived