Loco lamps

Does any one, any of the pre Grouping Societies for instance, make loco lamps in 4mm representative of the era?  I know that at least one Society (Caley) make 7mm ones specific to that railway. Or are these things so small that any 4mm one will do?

It would be useful to specify which company and when. There really is no such thing as "representative of the era". For example, on the GWR in the 1850s something similar to contemporary coach lamps was used, as seen here on the replica Fire Fly. By the 1880s a square bodied lamp resembling later types but mounted, as with the earlier example, by a spigot inserted into a socket lamp iron was the norm. These lasted until around 1903-5, but some survived until about 1910, when they were replaced by the type that survived the grouping. Other companies had their own various types.

btw, as a more general question, we all know when the pre-grouping era ended, but when did it start? Is it in any way useful to use the term to cover most of a century?

Nick

ps. I almost forgot, the BGS did once produce a casting for the earliest type, but I think it is no longer available.

.... btw, as a more general question, we all know when the pre-grouping era ended, but when did it start? Is it in any way useful to use the term to cover most of a century?

I don't know, but there are also the terms Victorian and Edwardian used to help narrow down the era's.

I believe there was also 'Earliest'.!!!   But that still leaves a huge time gap of some 50 years.

There was also a great deal of loco and stock development in the 1890's.

Loco Lamps - The LNWR used the square spigot type up until the LMS took over, and prior to 1903 there was also a Green Headlamp used for some of the classifications.

I don't know, but there are also the terms Victorian and Edwardian used to help narrow down the era's.

I believe there was also 'Earliest'.!!!   But that still leaves a huge time gap of some 50 years.

There was also a great deal of loco and stock development in the 1890's...

Yes, not to mention the 1840s and 50s. I was musing over the catch-all nature of this topic area and thinking that, for a single railway company, it's often much more meaningful to think in terms of eras based on chief engineers, though that doen't work when talking about the railways as a whole. For example, on my bench at the moment, I have a Gooch era Standard Goods (broad gauge), a Dean era 850 class saddle tank (derived from an Armstrong era design) and a Churchward era pannier tank version of the 850. Somehow, Victorian, Edwardian, Pre-Grouping, etc don't really capture the differences.

...Loco Lamps - The LNWR used the square spigot type up until the LMS took over, and prior to 1903 there was also a Green Headlamp used for some of the classifications.

That's interesting, I was aware of the use of spigots on the LNWR, but didn't know they persisted so long or that they had used both green and white lamps. The GWR also used green and white during their spigot era, as well as plain black, white diamond and a black 'S' on a white background painted on the other three sides of the lamp for daylight use. See bottom of this page.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Archived