Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Scratchbuilding a HOn3 D&RGW boxcar.

M Graff

Hi, I was thinking of having this thread to show my builds of Colorado narrow gauge stock, preferably from the D&RGW .

There are certainly a lot of RTR in HOn3. Both locomotives and wagons, but there is a satisfaction in creating them yourself.

In particular, the boxcars are very simply constructed, and they often differed a bit from each other because of revisions and general changes/repairs .....

What I do not intend to build myself are the couplers and trucks. As they are available quite cheaply, it hardly justifies building them from scratch.

Same thing with the brake cylinders.

I'm going to try to build the cars in different materials: Plasticard, wood and brass. Then I can see how the various materials of the models will end up compared to my wishes about how the result should be.

Here are the plans for the first build:

I was looking for drawings of the 3000 Series boxcar on the net, but what was there did not correspond entirely with the pictures I have of the originals ....

Therefore, I drew my own drawings:

2014-03-23%2520-%25201.jpg

You can also see the preliminary drawings of the DSP & P car ...

Bogies and decals are acquired. Plasticard and Northeastern with the correct plank width and spacing is ordered.

To be continued.

Edited by M Graff
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I sat down last night and started building on the boxcar.

I used Evergreen HO boxcar siding and strip stock. The trucks are brass from my drawer.... ;-)

Here's what it looks like after two evenings job:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

You have to excuse the bad pictures, I'll need to take better ones tomorrow. :-)

Now, there is just the grab irons, tie rods and some Nut-Bolt-Washers from Grandt line to add.

It is always the first build that takes time. Very much looking at it and the drawings and pondering how best to get to it.

:)

• Like 5

Here are some better pictures :

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

It is fiddly with the small struts that holds the walkway....

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The doors with fittings and brackets .

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The ladders are made of jig-bent nickel silver wires with Grandt Line nut-bolt-washers .

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Painted!

Properly cleaned, primed with plastic prep for improved adhesion on plastic and then painted with Polly Scale D&RGW freight car red.

The sides and ends are clear coated with Future Kleer to prepare it for the decals.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The original:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Now it's just the couplers left to add and the decals and some light weathering.

It was a good test run before the construction of the rest of them. I intend to build 10 of them in the first round. Next build will be in mixed media with a wood body/chassie and brass/plastic parts.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I sat down last night and started building on the boxcar.

I used Evergreen HO boxcar siding and strip stock. The trucks are brass from my drawer.... ;-)

Here's what it looks like after two evenings job:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

You have to excuse the bad pictures, I'll need to take better ones tomorrow. :-)

Now, there is just the grab irons, tie rods and some Nut-Bolt-Washers from Grandt line to add.

It is always the first build that takes time. Very much looking at it and the drawings and pondering how best to get to it.

:)

Hi Michael,

firstly, may I say excellent work!

I'm fairly new to US-outline model railroading, so although I've been aware of Evergreen products for years, I didn't realise until reading your thread that they actually make specific Car Siding! Presumably, then, the 3.25" board width was pretty much the industry standard in wooden car construction.

Did you use the 0.040" thick sheet for the car's sides and ends? And what about the roofing? Do you add internal bracing or do you find the sheet strong enough to be self-supporting?

I'll be following your thread with great interest.

Best regards,

Mark