Bachmann Diesel Sound Locomotives - Loksound Chip Versions

D400

• RMweb Gold

I removed the sound chip and speaker from my Bachmann 32-780RJDS 37025 and installed it in my Bachmann Avro Vulcan set and 37424/XH558.  I appreciate that it might sound different because it’s not got the ETH loading on the chip, but it will do for now.

The reason I took it out, is I wanted it to run it with my other Bachmann Class 37, 37099 top and tailed on my test train and having two loco’s with possibly two different sound chips could cause issues.  I’m now thinking of putting it back and if I can find out which chip it is, hopefully I can buy another one and put it in 37099 and the problem would be solved.

I had a look through the list on page 1, but couldn’t find the decoder that was originally installed, so I would be grateful if someone point me in the right direction to finding it’s identity and a good place to find another one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a non sound person thinking of changing over to sound I'm reading up on this thread trying to get my head around the various chips and what you can do and what you cannot do with them (reblow etc), apologies in advance if I'm asking pretty basic things.

The list detailing locos and chip types on the thread is exellent but can someone tell me if there a difference between 'DCC Sound V4' and 'DCC Sound Onboard V4'.

'DCC Sound' and 'DCC Sound Onboard', are these one and the same thing ?

Thanks

Edited by RBC

19 minutes ago, RBC said:

As a non sound person thinking of changing over to sound I'm reading up on this thread trying to get my head around the various chips and what you can do and what you cannot do with them (reblow etc), apologies in advance if I'm asking pretty basic things.

The list detailing locos and chip types on the thread is exellent but can someone tell if there a difference between 'DCC Sound V4' and 'DCC Sound Onboard V4'.

Thanks

Yes. They are one and the same. Simply means that the loco comes fitted with a dcc sound decoder. Bachmann often use the term 'DCC Sound Onboard'.

V4 refers to a ESU Loksound V4 sound decoder.

1 hour ago, RBC said:

The list detailing locos and chip types on the thread is exellent but can someone tell if there a difference between 'DCC Sound V4' and 'DCC Sound Onboard V4'.

Thanks

There are some important things to be aware of.

Standard speakers are usually quite poor. Speaker technology (or maybe just awareness) has improved a lot recently. Even micro speakers give much better sound than standard speakers used to.

V3.5 decoders only work with 100ohm speakers. The choice of alternatives for these is very limited & you may not find any at all.

Sound projects need to be compiled for different types of decoder, v3.5, v4, v5 (all Loksound) & Zimo all need different projects. Some projects may not be available for every decoder, particularly the older ones.

Loksound Select are slightly different. These are effectively decoders which have been locked. They are technically the same as v4s but require the projects compiled differently & only the manufacturer has the ability to do this, which effectively locks them. Bachmann were the biggest user of Selects. When they used them, their sound projects were not the best...& you can't get them re-blown. :wacko: I avoid these.

Like most new things, sound projects are still improving. Better recordings, more sounds/functions, better interaction (eg active braking). All the sound providers are working to improve their products. Many exploit the capabilities of newer decoders (better sound resolution, more memory) which prevents them from being backward compatible.

DCC sound has many sceptics & I used to be one of them. I find that my sound models get used much more than my quiet ones though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi there, I've recently purchased a Bachmann Class 37 diesel loco with sound. It's a 32-783DS. It's about 10 years old and the sound works but there was no CV or function list with the loco. Does anyone have a list of the sound functions for this model. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Chris

Edited by chrisg333
spelling error

• 4 weeks later...