Bachmann Diesel Sound Locomotives - Loksound Chip Versions

D400

So how much is the swap scheme and how does it work?

You send us the Select Decoder 21Pin (Ex Bachmann) or the V3.5 ESU 8Pin and we will after testing them offer a discount against a new decoder. It all depends on the condition of the decoder, we will not accept Ex Hardwired decoder without the 8Pin Plug.  We need to see it first as honestly people give us faulty or very hot running decoders.

Charlie

• Like 1

If you run a Loksound v4.0 on DC I understand that if you slowly move the controller knob  various sounds will begin. Whist this is happening does the motor receive current or can you leave the loco idling without damaging the motor?

Thanks

Dave

If you run a Loksound v4.0 on DC I understand that if you slowly move the controller knob  various sounds will begin. Whist this is happening does the motor receive current or can you leave the loco idling without damaging the motor?

Thanks

Dave

That might be easier said than done Dave .

You will get all the start up sounds  and movement, but getting the power setting to a level where the loco comes to a stop  and simply idles

is something I have found impossible , at least on a V4 chipped loco.

I did however manage to idle a V3.5 chipped loco .

No damage was done to the loco by leaving it to idle .

Albie

Thanks

Dave

If the chip is set up correctly it will be possible to sit with the loco at idle indefinitely without the motor running. However, I have found that analogue controllers from different manufacturers all output different voltage ranges, and setting the chip up to suit one does not guarantee it will idle satisfactorily with another. Fortunately the settings are user-adjustable via CV, and a little experimentation should yield the correct values.

Bif

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For your information I had this response from Bachmann when asking about the Dutch livery Class 47.  I did suggest that they should include this information in the sales details as a lot of people like to reblow the chips to favourite sound providers.

Dear Mr Johnson

Thank you for your recent e-mail, the Class 47 loco 31-661DS has a Loksound Select revision 42 decoder installed.  I’ve passed your comments regarding the loksound select decoders onto our senior managers and engineers.

Kind Regards

Jenni

Jennifer Ayres
Service Manager

• Like 2

So how much is the swap scheme and how does it work?

We offer against a New V4 Reblowable decoder with Legomanbiffo sounds, £30.00 off of the £112.50.  Just send the 'Select' decoder and order a new decoder, of course you should contact us so we can match the two together.    Charlie

• 1 month later...

For your information I had this response from Bachmann when asking about the Dutch livery Class 47.  I did suggest that they should include this information in the sales details as a lot of people like to reblow the chips to favourite sound providers.

Dear Mr Johnson

Thank you for your recent e-mail, the Class 47 loco 31-661DS has a Loksound Select revision 42 decoder installed.  I’ve passed your comments regarding the loksound select decoders onto our senior managers and engineers.

Kind Regards

Jenni

Jennifer Ayres

Service Manager

I raised this via the website as well with a similar response then with Bachmann direct at the GCR show - the paperwork says V4 decoder and doesn't mention select like others do - they weren't interested at all which i thought was off considering the paperwork and price being the same as the full V4 fitted ones - Its false representation at the least . From what i gathered all sound locos will be select's in the future.

I raised this via the website as well with a similar response then with Bachmann direct at the GCR show - the paperwork says V4 decoder and doesn't mention select like others do - they weren't interested at all which i thought was off considering the paperwork and price being the same as the full V4 fitted ones - Its false representation at the least . From what i gathered all sound locos will be select's in the future.

Whilst I would not disagree with the above comments, I think we modellers have to realise that it makes perfect sense for Bachmann to use Loksound Select decoders. They are not under any obligation to provide a full blown Loksound V4.0  to satisfy the needs of a minority of modellers who may  wish to have the decoder re-blown. I would guess that the majority of modellers who buy locos with factory fitted sound are perfectly happy, or are not even aware of after market sound projects like Legomanbiffo etc.

In the US, Atlas started using Loksound decoders in their factory fitted models a few years ago with recordings done by ESU in the US, using Selects from the outset, they have been well received by modellers.

Mal

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

Whilst I would not disagree with the above comments, I think we modellers have to realise that it makes perfect sense for Bachmann to use Loksound Select decoders. They are not under any obligation to provide a full blown Loksound V4.0  to satisfy the needs of a minority of modellers who may  wish to have the decoder re-blown. I would guess that the majority of modellers who buy locos with factory fitted sound are perfectly happy, or are not even aware of after market sound projects like Legomanbiffo etc.

In the US, Atlas started using Loksound decoders in their factory fitted models a few years ago with recordings done by ESU in the US, using Selects from the outset, they have been well received by modellers.

Mal

Mal

The Select Decoder is an American Decoder, I think the issue here is not what is fitted but the change from European V4 Decoders to USA Select Decoders with no decrease in price as Select decoders are 30% less that Standard V4 Decoders.  Realtrack Model's on there Class 156 are doing 2 x Select decoders on there sound fitted model for less than £120.00.   Nothing wrong with the sounds on the Bachmann Sound models, but there are better sounds around. 

I think the big issue is nothing to do with Bachmann, but on Ebay you can pick up ESU V4 Decoders for £70 - £80 on average, sometimes cheaper.  BUT the buyer has 'no idea' if they are 'Select V4' or 'European V4' decoders.

Charlie

Charlie

• Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...

On the Select Decoders is there any difference to the full fat V4 decoders in terms of the Speaker's that can be used?

I've just fitted a 37 with a V4 loaded with Legomanbiffo's sounds and fitted an EM1 in the tanks and 20x40 speaker under the fan wired in series. I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same for another 37 I have that's got a Select fitted.

On the Select Decoders is there any difference to the full fat V4 decoders in terms of the Speaker's that can be used?

I've just fitted a 37 with a V4 loaded with Legomanbiffo's sounds and fitted an EM1 in the tanks and 20x40 speaker under the fan wired in series. I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same for another 37 I have that's got a Select fitted.

Yes it is!!   Or you could trade it in against another Legomanbiffo one.

Charlie

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Charlie, for making it very clear.

Having read this thread i suspected this to be the case. Very disappointing .

I generally avoid sound fitted from the manufactures, preferring to  make my own mind up, on the features and how they perform. More than satisfied with your latest sound files.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Charlie, for making it very clear.

Having read this thread i suspected this to be the case. Very disappointing .

I generally avoid sound fitted from the manufactures, preferring to make my own mind up, on the features and how they perform. More than satisfied with your latest sound files.

Cheers

Sorry Charlie your incorrect 47001 was the last of the full fat loksounds my factory fit 47001 has a loksound v4 not a select. It's after this they went to selects...

Sorry Charlie your incorrect 47001 was the last of the full fat loksounds my factory fit 47001 has a loksound v4 not a select. It's after this they went to selects...

What date was that model launched please, as its nice to know a date.     Charlie    (PPS I thought I was perfect!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Does anyone have a function sheet for the sound decoder fitted to the following Class 20 please.

32-033DS Class 20 diesel D8158 in BR Green with center headcode boxes (DCC Sound on board) V3.5 

Thanks

Tony.

Hello.

Does anyone have a function sheet for the sound decoder fitted to the following Class 20 please.

32-033DS Class 20 diesel D8158 in BR Green with center headcode boxes (DCC Sound on board) V3.5 

Thanks

Tony.

Ive got the one from the train set? Sound functions are same I think