A powered Armstrong Whitworth D9 - plans included.

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Well that's almost it. I've more handrails to put on when the knobs arrive proper winders to put in (there are some placeholder ones in there now), and the hook and couplers to do. Lamp irons and hose are done, and today I've wired up the decoder, touched up the paint and done a few other things, so here are what I think will be the last photos on this build.

post-14192-0-76549300-1398994301.jpg

post-14192-0-64903500-1398994302.jpg

post-14192-0-70470900-1398994304.jpg

post-14192-0-85243900-1398994313.jpg

post-14192-0-94456200-1398994314.jpg

The roof is raised slightly because I need to resite the decoder.

post-14192-0-05587900-1398994316.jpg

As a Brucie bonus, I've also tested the loco's pulling power. I ended up with the D9 pulling 3 x  Hornby Gresley non-corridor, 5 x Bachmann Mk1s and 2 x Gresley 61' carriages. I think I could have added at least two more, but that would have been it. Not bad when you consider that I hadn't added any weight, this was just the weight of the loco itself. The multiple layers of styrene in the middle of the body definitely added on a bit, and the bogie itself isn't light!

Sorry about the bad light in the video, it's all I have at the moment I'm afraid.

I've really enjoyed doing this build. I think the Silhouette cutter has helped me personally in that it is more accurate than I am and faster, so if I mess up I can quickly start again. I also found out that airbrushing isn't as scary as I thought it would be - not scary at all actually, as long as you do it in a ventilated place and clean the airbrush out regularly.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. If you do have any questions let me know as I'll keep this thread in my favourites, and in fact, after I've finished the Barnum, I'll put my next build/kitbash on here (and it won't be the D3, at least not yet!),

cheers

Jason

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou, yes I am really pleased with how it turned out. I now have a model of the entire fleet of D9s. ;) Once I got it onto the track it was surprising just how small it is compared to more modern diesels, and it's full of character as well. I've never seen a loco with eyebrows before!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, no problem, here's a photo of it from the side with a carriage for comparison. It's seems to come in about the same height as/slightly higher than the top of the vents.

post-14192-0-79813500-1399051578_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Your earlier drawing shows the height over roof (excluding vents) at around 12' 8" if I can make out the dimension correctly. The Gresley should be 12' 6" over roof excluding vents so something in the region of 2/3mm higher. Of coarse this assumes the Gresley model is correct ;-).

• RMweb Gold

Jason, only just found this thread, and it's all over!!

What a superb bit of scratch building. Absolutely awesome.

You've made a fantastic job of modelling a lovely little loco, and you are right to be proud of it.

Well done mate.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al!

Your earlier drawing shows the height over roof (excluding vents) at around 12' 8" if I can make out the dimension correctly. The Gresley should be 12' 6" over roof excluding vents so something in the region of 2/3mm higher. Of coarse this assumes the Gresley model is correct ;-).

You have me thinking now, I'll get the callipers out later and take some heights...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, thanks very much mate. I put it in the separate thread because it''s not related to Wainfleet (it didn't get that far south). More an exercise to see how far I can push the cutter, and my skills!

Hi Mike, well I've had a look and here's my results:

• from the rail height to the top of the main roof, not including the hatches, I have 51.44, the plan says 50.57
  • from the bottom of the plate chassis sides to the roof including the hatches, I have 45.73, and it should be 45.09

I scaled the plan using the 30'0" between the centres of the two outer axles, and the height of the hatches along the top of the roof is 0.92mm

I think that the difference in part (0.5mm) is using 3 x .010" layers for the roof to accommodate the grid over the fan, and only accounting for 2 x .010" layers in my cutting file.

Once I glue a nut to the underside of the roof and bolt it to the floor to fasten it down, I think that the whole lot should tighten up a bit more. Tell you what, it's a lot closer than the height of that 6 wheeler (the first one I tried to do) ! I think I was 6mm out in height there!

cheers

Jason

• 5 months later...

This is one of those threads I don't know why I missed before, just excellent modelling, only wish I could find my copy of the AW book!

I think this might be my next G1 project, I just need to see if it scales up and how the thicknesses work out in the closest Rowmark thickness that can be cut on the laser. the 20thou will become 0.75mm and the 20 either 1mm or 1.5 as 1.25 isn't available or some combination of the two.

Wonder if I can get it together to run at Warley!

• RMweb Gold

If you do, it'd be great to see a photo! Actually, that would be amazing to see one that big. If you would like my drawings, for what they're worth, just send me a PM with your email address. With the machine in 4mm scale, it was easiest just to laminate the sides to form the middle section, it would be interesting to see how you would approach it. If you do decide to give it a go, I'll be very interested in following your progress.

cheers

Jason

Thanks for that and I have sent you a PM I don't think I would fundamentally change the construction, but it will have to change how it's powered, I would look at using three 'fosmotors' these are basically nose hung traction motors as per the prototype. The loco will also need to carry batteries and Radio receiver, one advantage will be that all the running gear will be below the footplate.

I will post as it makes progress but to have it running for Warley should encourage me to make some progress also with the AGM show I will have a chance to stock up on all the supplies I might need.

Andy

• Like 1

An excellent result and very enjoyable thread well done, having a silhouette certainly made it easier in respect of making two sides the same height etc, unfortunately i dont have one and went down the etched brass sides (got them made privately) for some Irish bo-bo Sulzer  loco,s i built some years ago. I wouldn't worry about a discrepancy  of  0.5mm in height or any other dimension of your build as  your model has captured the real machine beautifully and captures the imagination even more as your video shows.

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou very much for the compliment. As a first go at a diesel it was pretty forgiving, and of course, there aren't that many of them about in model form either. :)

I'd missed most of this thread - I suppose because Pioneer Diesels are not my thing.

What a 'tour de force' of Silhouette modelling - really amazing to see what can be done with that machine, with a good dose of imagination.  It is a rather strange-looking beast, clearly designed by engineers rather than styling consultants, and has great appeal because of that :)

Mike

Tell you what Mike, and I'm sure I shouldn't say this, but it looks cute on the layout. Kind of a pint sized diesel.

I think a large part of the enjoyment in making 'off beat' models comes from seeing how they look alongside more familiar stock.  it's possible to appreciate them in a way that is impossible, if you only have photographs.

Mike

After finding this post and being inspired by Jason's lovely model, I have put a few hours in on a 'Big brother' version in G1 largely from Jason's information and drawings, but with quite a few adaptations for the larger scale.

So far the main changes I have made are that the body sides are made up from 6 layers of Rowmark, as part of this I have taken the opportunity to add some extra detail to the cooler group,

Before I started to chew through a mountain of Rowmark I first did a set of test cuts in MDF and found a few flaws in my CAD work.

post-17012-0-77215800-1413574934_thumb.jpg

Until I fully work out the under frames and running gear I will keep the 1,5mm MDF floor and bulkheads and then replace them with 1.5mm Rowmark. I have engraved in some of the cab detail as far as I have been able to work them out.

post-17012-0-71591900-1413574957_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the body side hasn't photographed well, the last job will be louvers cut out of 10 thou styrene on the Cameo and a number of 0.5mm troply overlays for the beading etc.

post-17012-0-44820600-1413574975_thumb.jpg

I can see me making much other progress now for a week or so as I am busy getting stock ready for my sales stand at the G!MRA AGM show next Saturday, although that will give me a change to pick up the nose hung traction motors, wheel castings and other bits and pieces.

• Like 6

Some projects capture the imagination, I'm sure my customers will understand that when they come to collect stuff next Saturday and find that I ran out of time to get them finished, but the 'Universal' hasn't honestly taken that much time so far except on the CAD side of things and as I only have one laser cutter I guess its not wasting time if I am working on the files while its doing its stuff.

So as of last night I now have a basic shell of my gone large D9.

post-17012-0-03952500-1413708972_thumb.jpg

So far so good I think, the laminated sides have worked fine and give the model so weight and robustness.

Next job to finish the bonnet ends and that cab to see how it all looks, I just about have enough 0.5mm Troply left in odds and sods of off cuts to make that up, but then the cupboard will be bare until my next order arrives.

• Like 5

Forgive my ignorance but in the image above, is it the assembly seen earlier with laser cut MDF partitions and sides cut from plastic card in the silhouette?

You talk about using Romark and Troply, is that the laser engravable plastic and MDF respectively, marketed by Trojet? could you please qualify.

Edited by sleeper

Hi Sorry for any confusion.

I first ran my parts through my laser cutter in MDF to check that I had everything right, 1mm and 1.5mm MDF are a lot cheaper then Rowmark and Troply, and I wanted to check everything.

Rowmark and Troply are trade names for basically the same thing they are modified acrylics that will cut in the laser cutter and behave more like HIPS the main issue is that Rowmark ADA isn't made in any thickness lower than 0.75mm where Troply is available down to 0.5mm

As this is a G1 (10mm/1ft scale) project there is quite a bit of 'beef' in its construction so its all so far built in 1.5, 1.0 and 0.75mm materials all too thick for the Cameo cutter so these sections are all laser cut.

The outer detailing will be in 0.5mm Troply which will again be laser cut, as its a right pain to cut with a knife and is very tough, but thinner detail will be cut from HIPS (plastikard) in 10 & 20 thou on the cameo cutter as this is the best way with styrene to give the 'depth' to the side construction that becomes more obvious in the larger scales.

Hope that clears up everything about the construction so far.