A powered Armstrong Whitworth D9 - plans included.

JCL

I have finally managed to get a couple of 4mm 3D prints of the D9 done, one is nearly ready for a trip in to the paint shop for A.W blue, once the handrails are fitted, and any more cleaning up of the print. I have added a small motor to power the fan, and from the drawings managed to fathom out the cab interiors, the power bogie is the Hornby unit for their ex Lima diesels. I was going to use the fan grill for a Class 31, but it’s a tad small, still debating the colour of the fan and the cooler ductwork. I have found an Armstrong Whitworth oblong plate set at 247 Devolpments, for the rest of the bits, I have managed to get them from Wizard Models.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_0369.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

• Like 18

From the D9 drawing, you can see the power control stand, there would also be a brake lever on the left of the driver, a parking brake stand is also shown, I imagine that the loco would be driven a bit like a tram, even the North Eastern express electric locomotive No 13 was so, with the driver standing upright. With the D9 I also presume that there was a second man who like the fireman would look after the engine and auxiliaries as such, even the driver would be expected to do things like starting the engine away from the driving seat only returning to actually drive, unlike today.

As to cab colour, I would think that the scheme would be steam age, ie, the floor would be wood or Lino, bottom of the cab and control  stands and cubicles, Black, with the roof and window level upwards Cream or off White. As this machine was early such joys as wheel slip protection would not exist, it would be up to the driver to feel it and adjust the power to suit, with some minimal protection for the generator and engine provided. 
The 3D print has an opening in the bulkhead behind the No2 cab (non fan group end), on the plan it shows the motor exhauster fan, I think that above it is the electrical protection cubicle, so on the model I have filled it in with a full height box behind it in the engine compartment, I also think that the preferred running would have the No 2 cab leading.
if any one can shed any further light on this, I would be interested to hear, the drawing is below and some photos of the cabs of 10000, early class 24 and an LMS shunter to give an idea.IMG_0372.jpeg.20c390a564e05b32bda7d8792b5e2e78.jpegIMG_0374.jpeg.20e844a459e21d131e0172fdc7cf2f9c.jpegIMG_0371.jpeg.4ad98459a0ee22fe48a019cf78705bd3.jpegIMG_0373.jpeg.4245c7bbee77e1e688de38d54ffc1456.jpeg

• Like 6

I’ve just met you at Warley. Thank you for speaking to me about your models including this one. The KR Fell , you also had displayed, showed what can be done to make this an accurate model. The locomotive, we spoke most about, was that  Leader like, pulverised coal prototype. I had never been aware of it, until seeing it on your stand. Sincere thanks Brian

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 46256 said:

The locomotive, we spoke most about, was that  Leader like, pulverised coal prototype. I had never been aware of it, until seeing it on your stand. Sincere thanks Brian

A photo of this model would be MOST interesting.

I remember seeing an illustration of it in 'Imaginary Locomotives'.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2023 at 16:07, 46256 said:

I’ve just met you at Warley. Thank you for speaking to me about your models including this one. The KR Fell , you also had displayed, showed what can be done to make this an accurate model. The locomotive, we spoke most about, was that  Leader like, pulverised coal prototype. I had never been aware of it, until seeing it on your stand. Sincere thanks Brian

Hi again. The Newcomen Society produce two papers on the coal burning turbine, first is the theory, second concerns the locomotive, I found that one useful  in the models construction. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello xm607

Sincere thanks for taking the time to speak with me at Warley. I really enjoyed your models, and your description of their construction. I believe you have outlined the extensive work to the KR Fell on that thread. 
I have built the Judith Edge kit, and briefly owned the KR version. The was sold before, attempting similar works you have done to yours. The kit replaced it. 

In respect of the NBL/ Parsons locomotive, is it possible, as John suggests ,to show a photograph of this model?

or does it have its own thread?

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256

With appolagies to the admins, as there isn’t a separate thread.

Here are my Coal Turbine models, in OO and N gauges, both scratch built from plastic card and a coach roof, running upon a USA diesel chassis. The side drawing that started this is in the January 1957 Trains Illustrated, and it was repeated in the book Transition from Steam.

IMG_4973.jpeg

IMG_4974.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1