Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Sound for the Masses

Hi again...

Wow! I've just watched a video of professionally produced DCC Soundchips with 'latest developments'....station announcements, platform noise and BIRDSONG sounds etc that prototypically emanate from the locomotive speaker.

This real added-value development is seriously making me reconsider my quest for cheaper sound.

Randall

Pse Pse post a link to vid so we can all have a laugh!

CC

Don't be so ready to knock it when some other (excellent and very well respected) modellers enjoy it - there must be something in it!

Hi Giles....

Why am I so ready to knock it?

Simply because certain exponents of DCC sound who are in a position of responsibility on RMweb have long been all too ready to ridicule and dismiss (low-cost, often superior) alternatives to DCC soundchips made by myself and others.

The last time I questioned a misleading statement, my post was immediately deleted.

I respectfully suggest you research the topic of sound on RMweb if you doubt what I am saying.

With regard to my recent update, I can understand station announcements and platform noise, but CHURCH BELLS and BIRDSONG?...from a speaker onboard a locomotive?!?

regards

Randall

In many cases,it may be possible to download the sound files direct from http://www.uktrainsim.com

Hi...

Thanks for the update.

There are many libraries there that could unearth something if you are prepared to "rummage"....

However, most sounds from that source are still 'first generation'....things have moved on since.

Randall

Pse Pse post a link to vid so we can all have a laugh!

CC

Hi CC...

I would love to, but the site is commercial and if that's what people want to buy, then who am I to quibble?

Anyhow, I don't want to be the perpetrator of even more friction....

Randall

Hi Giles....

Why am I so ready to knock it?

Simply because certain exponents of DCC sound who are in a position of responsibility on RMweb have long been all too ready to ridicule and dismiss (low-cost, often superior) alternatives to DCC soundchips made by myself and others.

The last time I questioned a misleading statement, my post was immediately deleted.

I respectfully suggest you research the topic of sound on RMweb if you doubt what I am saying.

With regard to my recent update, I can understand station announcements and platform noise, but CHURCH BELLS and BIRDSONG?...from a speaker onboard a locomotive?!?

regards

Randall

Thank you - I have of course regularly read this thread over the months, and some others on RM web - so I'm not quite coming to this subject 'cold'. Moreover, in professional life I have a passing interest in sound effects and their production, and perhaps I may come at things (in all aspects of modelling) from a slightly different angle than the conventional. Sound in theatre, after all never comes from where it should - it always comes from somewhere else in reality - it's just a matter of how you treat it, balance it and deceive the audience.

I'm glad you can understand the station announcements and platform noise - and I agree with you that Church bells are unlikely to be successful - but you will remember I said 'depending on the type of sound'....? In practice I think you may find bird song (play edged at a low volume) to be one of those sounds that is less easy to determine where it is emanating from due to its intermittent nature - one would have to try it and see.

Non the less, the 'knocking' from the recent posts sounds very like the ridicule and dismissal that you are complaining of - when others have tried this, and find themselves very happy with it (of course you can't ever portray a decent effect over a video)

Regards,

Giles

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

Hi again...

Here's a short clip demonstrating what's possible using sounds downloaded from Youtube which are then played back through an app like Soundbyte running on an iPad or Android tablet.

I would have preferred to have filmed the entire sequence with the HST starting off from a standstill, but I am limited to one pair of hands.

That would have shown unequivocally that controlling the trains and the sounds separately is perfectly straightforward.

I would also have preferred not to cut the video short and show the full sequence of the HST departing the scene through the tunnel, but SWMBO called out to ask if I wanted a cup of tea...I had to edit that bit out....

Randall

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 1

Non the less, the 'knocking' from the recent posts sounds very like the ridicule and dismissal that you are complaining of....

Hi Giles....

Apologies to everyone (well not everyone) if my remarks come across like that....

As in every walk of life, bitterness always stems from tit-for-tat arguments.

There has been a steady build up of criticism and lack of respect shown towards members who are working on cheaper and higher quality alternatives to DCC sound.

We try to SHARE things on this forum and it's wrong to be knocked back by those who think they occupy the higher ground.

All my O gauge locomotives will be fitted with Bluetooth speakers that can play back sound of a far higher quality than DCC Soundchips are currently capable of. What is wrong with experimenting with a technology that costs £hundreds++ less than Soundchips.

See....it raises my blood pressure every time!!!

Randall

Moreover, in professional life I have a passing interest in sound effects and their production, and perhaps I may come at things (in all aspects of modelling) from a slightly different angle than the conventional. Sound in theatre, after all never comes from where it should - it always comes from somewhere else in reality - it's just a matter of how you treat it, balance it and deceive the audience.

Regards,

Giles

To return to the topic after a period of reflection, I would like to thank Giles for putting forward his theatre analogy. I have no expertise in sound production, so I'm thankful to him and other early contributors to this thread who have helped paint the picture in words that I and others can relate-to. 

My motive is to help other modellers understand that alternatives DO exist and to outline the possibilities in the hope that they may be inspired to take things forward for themselves.

Whilst my 7mm (Soundbyte samples to Bluetooth) outlook will remain unchanged, on my 4mm layout, things will be a little different. 

Rather than persue the goal of trying to mimic the loco-centric sample-based sounds produced by a DCC Soundchip, I am on a journey of discovery where the subject matter is a soundscape embracing the passage of trains through the stage (the layout), as per the HST video footage. This is becoming much more of an interest for me.

I find that having the speaker adjacent to the viewing position most convincing. I find the buildup, crescendo and fade really convincing and it's easy to associate the sound with the movement....'the combined optical and aural illusion'.

I intend to explain how a mobile speaker position, coupled with variable soundtrack trigger timings can be combined to ensure optimum effect.

Finally for this update:

Soundbyte (others are available) is obviously designed for playing songs....

I have now started using it for playing my favourite music tracks whilst having a relaxing modelling session (or catching up on RMweb). When I feel like running a train, the railway soundtrack associated with the move is started and the song fades out.....When the train arrives at it's destination and the move is complete, I just fade up the song again.

It's like someone shouts "CUT" and I'm back in the room!

A very enjoyable way of playing trains....

Randall

• Like 1

In order that I can give a more factual appraisal/evaluation of this ALTERNATIVE method of sound production, I think it is essential to start by laying the cards on the table and talking about it in direct comparison with the current market leader - the DCC Soundchip. 

There are also several other alternatives available in the marketplace, but none that I am aware of can have the sounds of different locomotive types individually selected (customised or off the shelf) as with DCC Sound, or customised by the user in the way that will be demonstrated in this thread in forthcoming updates.

I realise it may be construed that some of my comparisons may be borne of bias, but I will try to be objective and not (too) hostile. I don't have the power of veto in this thread, so unlike some on RMweb, I am unable to delete any responses I don't like. I will also try not to deliberately mislead. 

I still own two soundchipped locomotives, so I am able to speak from experience.

Almost everyone will have heard DCC sound or alternatives at some time or other and will have formed their own individual opinion on the respective merits and faults. Others will have decided that sound would add nothing to their enjoyment of their model railway. Each to his own.

The first comparison is that of cost.

Aside from the cost of a tablet or smartphone, which are multipurpose devices so there can't be a direct comparison with DCC hardware on cost grounds, this thread advocates low-cost quality sound.  

DCC sound requires a relatively expensive investment in DCC hardware at the outset (I have a Lenz 100 of my own and I love DCC for controlling trains, so I am in no way biased against DCC). 

Anyone with a DCC or DC layout can use the methods espoused by this thread for next to nothing, but, as we all know, a soundchip costs around £100 per locomotive ( I will exclude TTS from this discussion). 

Soundchips: 0 Low-cost alternative: 1

The factor that this low-cost alternative receives most derision for is: quote: "...but none of them (the alternatives) have addressed that vital link between throttle movement and sounds played".

Soundchips: 1 Low-cost alternative: 1

In almost every one of my posts in this thread, I have stated outright that there is no link between throttle movement and sounds played.  

To those who have never driven a soundchip-equipped locomotive (and those who have will know what I mean).... this is actually a most self-deriding and ridiculous accusation because (shock and awe) in any random circumstance, every soundchipped locomotive can also have a mind of it's own where the "vital link" is lost and the sound playback simply runs away uncontrollably. That and various other problems....such as poor synchronisation with engine speed and the speed of the locomotive along the track.

Soundchips: 1 Low-cost alternative: 2

If I were to hit back against DCC sound with an accusation of my own it would be that of Constant Volume. A locomotive twenty feet away sounds as loud as a locomotive directly in front of the operator. Some soundchips have a Fade function but it only controls volume which is not the same in terms of authenticity.

Soundchips: 1 Low-cost alternative: 3

Only joking....

I will be continuing with some comparisons, but only with the intention of highlighting how this alternative can excel over loco-centric sound in many ways. I am not so naive as to suggest that it's perfect and without doubt it requires some work to get it off the ground.

If you already have a smart device, or if Santa brings you one, find a suitable Youtube video (enjoyable fun in itself) and run a train and see/hear for yourself.  Most smart devices have high quality audio systems, so just hold the device in front of you at waist level as the train passes by.

The synchronisation may not be perfect, but we'll see how that can be worked upon.

Randall

• 1 month later...

Very interesting topic Randall ... I am a recent convert to O gauge having moved house to an old railway station with lots of room for a garden railway. The recent release of the Dapol Terrier was also a factor. I intend to use radio control with on board battery power and have been thinking about how to incorporate sound. 

The bluetooth route seems attractive so I bought a small £10 BT speaker from Ebay, placed it behind the Terrier and played the sample link in a previous post from my laptop and YES .. very impressive.

The next step is to collect or record sounds and as I am fortunate to live near the Isle of Wight Steam railway at havenstreet, I hope to record sound from Terriers W8 Freshwater and W11 Newport, however, do I record lineside or from different locations on the loco itself? The latter is my preferred option as the sounds originate from the locomotive. It will always be a compromise but I am sure the mind will compensate for any inaccuracies ... ?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting topic Randall ... I am a recent convert to O gauge having moved house to an old railway station with lots of room for a garden railway. The recent release of the Dapol Terrier was also a factor. I intend to use radio control with on board battery power and have been thinking about how to incorporate sound. 

The bluetooth route seems attractive so I bought a small £10 BT speaker from Ebay, placed it behind the Terrier and played the sample link in a previous post from my laptop and YES .. very impressive.

The next step is to collect or record sounds and as I am fortunate to live near the Isle of Wight Steam railway at havenstreet, I hope to record sound from Terriers W8 Freshwater and W11 Newport, however, do I record lineside or from different locations on the loco itself? The latter is my preferred option as the sounds originate from the locomotive. It will always be a compromise but I am sure the mind will compensate for any inaccuracies ... ?

Andy

Andy, aside from the practicalities of recording from the loco, my experiences of the noise on the footplate of a working tank engine would suggest it's nothing like what you hear when standing on the lineside. I'd go for the latter. Having said that, I had some minor success recording from the front coach window, which I'm sure others have too.

....The bluetooth route seems attractive so I bought a small £10 BT speaker from Ebay, placed it behind the Terrier and played the sample link in a previous post from my laptop and YES .. very impressive.....

.....do I record lineside or from different locations on the loco itself? The latter is my preferred option as the sounds originate from the locomotive. It will always be a compromise but I am sure the mind will compensate for any inaccuracies ... ?

Andy

Hi Andy....

Using Bluetooth is a very cheap way to send authentic sounds to a speaker onboard a 7mm locomotive.

As everyone will have undoubtedly noticed from my posts in this thread, I use the Soundbyte iPad app to do the deed. However, before I discovered the iPad version of Soundbyte, I was doing the same thing from my laptop.

The Soundbyte program was originally written for MS Windows (free to download), and I did test it successfully at the time.

I use two methods for my 7mm diesels.....

For shunting and general milling about, I use short looped samples assigned to different buttons which are pressed to synchronise with separately controlled loco speed...very easy.

You can use a program like Audacity to chop soundtracks into samples.

However, I have also downloaded 'free for non-profit use' sounds from sites on the Web that were professionally recorded either from onboard the locomotive, or from the nearest coach.

The recordings are many minutes long, and the authenticity when played back through an onboard Bluetooth speaker is striking. The quality is excellent because it's of much higher fidelity than can be achieved with DCC Soundchips and it's obviously eminently suited to DC or battery-powered layouts.

I've used them on the Test Track at the club and they sound superb....but I would absolutely love to run my Class 52 Western on a garden layout with these sounds.....Drool.....

One thing to remember with Bluetooth is battery charging.

My Bluetooth units are onboard, and I've had to modify them to fit into the fuel tanks of my diesels, making sure that the charging socket is easily accessible.

However, for a garden layout, a speaker could be located in the first wagon or coach with little loss of authenticity, leaving them much more accessible for easy charging. My Bluetooth speaker batteries generally last about 45 minutes depending on the volume.

There are many generic sounds such as "shovelling coal" or "wheel squeal"...but the sound that most readily identifies a steam locomotive is the whistle. Get that right and you're over half way there.

Please let us know how you get on....

Randall

Edited by RandyWales

Hi again...

Here's a demo of a new product from Bachmann and Bluerail Trains...

The trains are controlled wirelessly from the App to a Bluerail chip in the locomotive.

The tablet or phone is also paired with the Bluetooth speaker onboard the train.

It's only a matter of time before the App is capable of transmitting specific locomotive sounds rather than the generic ones we hear in the video.

Cheap and cheerful at the moment, but the potential is huge.

I suggest those with a tablet or smartphone download the free App and have a play and assess the possibilities for themselves.

There is a thread dedicated to this topic in the DCC Topics area with several videos.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95379-Bachmann-bluetooth-locomotive-control/

regards

Randall

Edited by RandyWales
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi again...

Fellow Swansea RMG club member Steve Giffard brought a tiny bluetooth speaker to the club on Thursday...

It's called Smartbox, and it's the one shown in the video in my previous post about Bluerail trains.

I spent no more than two hours yesterday installing the device into a 4mm Heljan Class 47.

I had to discard the speaker and replace it with a 40mm x 28mm one from Maplin.

Here is a link to my 7mm demo of onboard Bluetooth sound....

Smartbox 4mm installation:

post-6897-0-10992700-1469958140_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-31221800-1469958152_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-19637700-1469958167_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-63112900-1469958183_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-08806600-1469958196_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-32560700-1469958206_thumb.jpeg

post-6897-0-56403200-1469958216_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi again...

Fellow Swansea RMG club member Steve Giffard brought a tiny bluetooth speaker to the club on Thursday...

It's called Smartbox, and it's the one shown in the video in my previous post about Bluerail trains.

I spent no more than two hours yesterday installing the device into a 4mm Heljan Class 47.

I had to discard the speaker and replace it with a 40mm x 28mm one from Maplin.

Hi Randall,

I don't know how I missed this post, busy trying to save money on sound systems I expect!

You can certainly hear the difference in sound quality with the higher sampling rate of the Bluetooth unit. No warbling horns for a start. Glad to 'hear' that others are following with interest the bluetooth route. And it's getting cheaper.

It is over 3 yrs since I first had a  play with Bluetooth and thought I would have a look around to see what developements have taken place.Found this little gem which is now on order of which I am  quite excited.  At 4 x 2.3 x .5mm this will easily fit inside most 4mm loco's . And the cost? 3 quid including delivery! Of course another couple of quid for a knocked up power supply for dc locos plus speakers for both dc and dcc versions. Not sure if I can run it off a function output from decoder , depends what load it pulls amp wise  but simple to arange supply from dcc. BUT.

3 watts stereo output .

48kz 24bit.

Compare that to current Zimo/Loksound specs

Just think. Flange squeal in speaker pointing down and horns in speaker facing up! Eazy Peazy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-Micro-USB-2x3W-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Digital-Amplifier-Amp-Board/252517648426?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39012%26meid%3Dd32c3e974e6742d8bf24b7b88f4d96bb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D351809417309

Regards,

CC

Edited by clickertyclack

Hi Randall,

I don't know how I missed this post, busy trying to save money on sound systems I expect!

You can certainly hear the difference in sound quality with the higher sampling rate of the Bluetooth unit. No warbling horns for a start. Glad to 'hear' that others are following with interest the bluetooth route. And it's getting cheaper.

Hi CC...good to hear from you again....

That's an interesting bit of kit you've unearthed....

All the Bluetooth modules/speakers I've used so far have been designed for leisure listening and have On/Off switches and Charging Sockets which have made things a little awkward as provision has to made for these when installing them onboard.

This one, however, appears to be capable of switching on automatically when power is applied.....exactly the sort of device that can only make Bluetooth sound easy-access for those who are interested.... And it's STEREO....as you say....have two speakers onboard and you have the ability to pan the sounds between the speakers....horns from the right end of the loco or even a speaker in each driving car of a DMU for example.

I'll be sending off for one asap....

Randall

Hi Gents,

Pleased you found my above post of interest. As I said above,it's a few years since I first dabbled with Bluetooth so playing catch up now.

Ref the Rx boards. I get the impression that these will be 'end of production/surplus items' if you get my meaning. Very cheap and the sort of thing that manufacturors place inside their retail items as utilised by Randall and others. All you need is a 3d printer and you are in buisness! But joking aside I think you get the picture.

WRT the range of the signal,  that largely depends on the Tx device and what Bluetooth protocol its running.  Bluetooth 4.2 has a stated range of up to 1000 ft. Now that is fine provided the Rx device is Bluetooth 4 also.However if the Rx board is only bluetooth 2 the range would default to the lower range of this device. Rule of thumb, the range depends on the lowest bluetooth protocol device.

Now with respect to the above rx board  and at the price advertised a guess would be Bluetooth 2 protocol which I believe is only 33ft (10mtrs) . BUT if you look at the thumb picture of the underneath of the board, it has a solder tab for an external arial. It is now over 40yrs since I did RF theory (HMS Collingwood 71/72) but it should be possible to improve reception and hence range with a better aerial. Now I think I am correct in saying that the 'plane' of the aerials are relevent. It would be feasible to place a longer one in the boiler or roof of a diesel engine and check this by rotating tx device at max range.What elese can be done,Well I have noted this morning  waterproof bluetooth repeaters which can extend range but the above comments are still relative with respect to range.

The simple psu  is of interest. I have yet to decide on the best method of powering the device for DC or DCC. As I said, will see what current it draws and then decide. I am hoping that with DCC the simplest method is to feed it from a function output as this can stop/start the device also. However whichever method and control sytem the main consideration has to be space. But it can be done. Iv'e done it before. Youtube search OB1Fran

Hope this of interest.

CC

Edited by clickertyclack

Hi Guys,

As an addendum to the above, a quick look at Zimo's brief outline of decoder specs state a (combined) total output of between .5 and .8amp at 5 volts. for decoder's depending on which one utilised. So If DCC usage for the above rx board then running from a function output as a on/off  switch would appear feasible. Play time.

CC

And interesting discussion to read through. I've never been too sure myself on DCC sound, it sounds great when you first hear it in isololation (in a thats cool sense rather than quality sometimes). But at an exhibition it becomes a whole different story if multiple layouts have DCC sound, all competing with each other, it quickly becoems tiresome and a carcophony of noise.

The other aspect for me and a few others I've seen post along similar lines, is that only having the loco sounds doesn't quite feel right, theres no wheel squeal, no scraping of doors at stations or announcements etc

It is all well and good having a multitude of sounds for a home layout, no other sounds to compete with, but at an exhibition, perhaps baseboard fitted speakers have an advantage over loco fitted. By that I mean you have more options for bass etc, and can be more directional, so less competing of sounds, better creating an atmosphere. Big shows are a nightmare for background noise generally I find anyway, so careful thought is needed if sound is to be part of the atmosphere of a layout, it might not always be best to have it turned on at some shows perhaps.

There are suitable sounds out on the web under the Creative Commons licence which grants you the right to use them for non-commercial use.

Be careful using CC licenced work at an exhibition as that could find you in trouble as an exhibition would be deemed commercial use as people are paying to see/hear your layout. There are several variants of the CC licence too.

And interesting discussion to read through. I've never been too sure myself on DCC sound, it sounds great when you first hear it in isololation (in a thats cool sense rather than quality sometimes). But at an exhibition it becomes a whole different story if multiple layouts have DCC sound, all competing with each other, it quickly becoems tiresome and a carcophony of noise

I could not agree more. However you assume that this discussion is with respect to DCC sound only. It is not. And lets not forget this topic is not in the DCC Sound section. If I can get a better sound quality with DCC  than I can with my DC system then great. But whichever one is being used the method is the same in that bluetooth is utilised for its higher quality and  far cheaper price than mainstream sound decoders and can be used in both dc/dcc indeed any system even clockwork!

'It is all well and good having a multitude of sounds for a home layout, no other sounds to compete with, but at an exhibition, perhaps baseboard fitted speakers have an advantage over loco fitted etc.'

As  I said, " Iv'e done it before. Youtube search OB1Fran "

Pse take a look. I believe you and others reading may find it of interest.

CC

Edited by clickertyclack

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Randall

I am in the process of getting an O gauge Heljan class 37 converted to RC , the Heljan motors are gone and two more efficient motors are going in .

I always imagined having sound as well , i like your idea of using a tablet and bluetooth but am i right that you have given up trying to run the sound in conjuction with the RC and doing away with the bluetooth ?

Cheers

Paul 

Hi Randall

I am in the process of getting an O gauge Heljan class 37 converted to RC , the Heljan motors are gone and two more efficient motors are going in .

I always imagined having sound as well , i like your idea of using a tablet and bluetooth but am i right that you have given up trying to run the sound in conjuction with the RC and doing away with the bluetooth ?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul....

Personally, I don't use Radio Control...Phill Dyson (Onslaught 832) is taking things forward in that domain.

A member who shares my outlook on better quality, low cost loco sound (Clickertyclack) found a bluetooth module (image below) costing £3 on eBay that doesn't need a dedicated LiPo battery to power it.

I am using DCC track power, and my preference is to eliminate the LiPo battery from the equation - to get rid of the need to recharge it, and also to simplify installation.

I have recently installed the module in such a way that it takes power from a function output of a DCC decoder onboard the loco.

I have a feeling that RC users could do the same thing and use the module to take power from the main drive battery rather than having a separate dedicated power supply.

If you can find a way to take a spur off the drive battery and reduce the spur voltage to 5v, then you are in business.

I use a single component the achieve this - a 15v to 5v voltage regulator costing less than £1.

Randall

post-6897-0-50131500-1491771305.jpg