Deltic No.10 Name crests when allocated to York?

modelman14

Hello.

I`m currently doing a 7mm Deltic into no 10,bit I`m struggling to find an image of it when it was allocated to York with the coat of arms above the number,to clarify if it carried the crests above the name during this period.

Thanks in advance for any help...

I don't think it carried a YK crest. Also 55010 ran the last year or so of it's life with only one nameplate.

Hello.

Cheers for that,looks like 10 didn't have the YK crests,but I`ve found images of number 5,which most definitely did.

I`ve found some images on the net of 5 on the scrapline and it looks to have silver roof grilles and tanks,can anyone confirm this or possibly point me to some decent images of Deltic 5?

Thanks folks....

Suggest you take a look at "Napier Chronicles" website: www.napier-chronicles.co.uk

I found this of no10 with York crests in the first set of photos: http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/10_21-6-80.htm

All of the locos that ended up allocated to York had said crests from what I recall, which at the time was quite an honour for which special permission was granted by the City.

Of course 10 had been unique as carrying the BR double arrows whilst still in two tone green. Also the first deltic to achieve 2million miles.

If memory serves me correctly 5 was painted up by York for the 150th Anniversary of Mail by Rail which took place on 11.11.80. It received the "York Treatment" along with 13 well before 9, 15 & 22 were done so for the series of farewell tours. 13 was done in preparation for Rainhill but Tulyar ended up taking that accolade much to the disappointment of York depot staff.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Suggest you take a look at "Napier Chronicles" website: www.napier-chronicles.co.uk

I found this of no10 with York crests in the first set of photos: http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/10_21-6-80.htm

All of the locos that ended up allocated to York had said crests from what I recall, which at the time was quite an honour for which special permission was granted by the City.

Of course 10 had been unique as carrying the BR double arrows whilst still in two tone green. Also the first deltic to achieve 2million miles.

If memory serves me correctly 5 was painted up by York for the 150th Anniversary of Mail by Rail which took place on 11.11.80. It received the "York Treatment" along with 13 well before 9, 15 & 22 were done so for the series of farewell tours. 13 was done in preparation for Rainhill but Tulyar ended up taking that accolade much to the disappointment of York depot staff.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Hi Dave,cheers for the info,i had looked on Napier Chronicles but overlooked that image of 10 with YK crests,dos`nt seem to be many images of it with them.

However,i`ve just ordered names for No 5 and finding that image of it with silver grilles and tanks its actually a better looking example to model.

Just need to hunt for a decent image of it to work off..

Cheers Stephen....

Aye, so it seems Peter, it certainly ran with just one nameplate for quite some time also.

Link to photo with crest but without nameplate: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/d9006/5718565108/

Quite a few without either.

Photos of 10 awaiting it's fate have no crest on at least one side, no doubt someone helped themselves to a memento!

Stephen

I'll have a trawl through my various books tonight with regards photos of 5 post York treatment and see what I can find for you as a good reference. Here's the only one I could find quickly on the Rail by Mail job at Liverpool: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/7442787518/

I'll be interested in seeing your project develop....

Dave

Aye, so it seems Peter, it certainly ran with just one nameplate for quite some time also.

Link to photo with crest but without nameplate: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/d9006/5718565108/

Quite a few without either.

Photos of 10 awaiting it's fate have no crest on at least one side, no doubt someone helped themselves to a memento!

Stephen

I'll have a trawl through my various books tonight with regards photos of 5 post York treatment and see what I can find for you as a good reference. Here's the only one I could find quickly on the Rail by Mail job at Liverpool: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/7442787518/

I'll be interested in seeing your project develop....

Dave

Dave..

Thanks for the link,gives me something to start with!

I`ll definitely post some images when I get started,just need the courage to start filing and filling a nearly £500 loco!!

Thanks again....

But it seemed to end its days without the YK crest. 55010 @ YK - Sept '81

Yeah,you can`t argue with that!!

So many subtle differences between them all,even the same loco at different periods of their working lives..

Thanks..

In 4mm you can probably get away with painting a representation of the YK crest above the number. Rather an old Lima Deltic I know, but I quite like it. The "King's Cross" nameplates and crest were a pain to cut out. But at least I bought them when there were still Deltics at KX and there's a quiet satisfaction knowing that these nameplates were probably in my bag when I saw the real locos in the station.

post-6880-0-96812000-1396299980.jpg

Hope that helps.

Dave

Dave....

When 5 was painted up for Mail By Rail,did it have Red buffer beams and buffer shanks?

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking at a slide of the loco from the Class 47 Preservation Project Archive.

55005 did have a red bufferbeam and shanks. The silver only went up to where the roof levelled out. Fuel tanks were silver, axle box covers yellow (with no red stripe through them). Drawhook was black, all the bufferbeam pipes were white, buffer faces white as were the tyres and bogie springs.

Hope this helps

Simon

Archived