Love it when you guys say things like this...

Gives us ample ammo to give Lance a never-ending stream of "sh$#t !... :sungum:

Ah, give him a break - & say "Hi" to him from his devoted followers Over Here next time you see him ;)

Possibly his work has had more effect in the UK than the USA, as we are already on his wavelength regarding shelf layouts, & as I said, we can't just pop down to the tracks to see how things are done (youtube is a poor substitute) so his writings have helped enormously.

If he wants to know just how bad an influence he is, then despite the fact I really want two O scale GP38's in Soo Line colours (1 white/red, 1 candy apple red) my next loco project is a Weaver GP38-2 to be done in CSX YN2... :O :yes: :P

• Like 1

I live here and agree with Jordan’s comments.

MR take pages explaining “operations” on a large scale (railroad wise) and make it seem like so much freaking real work that I just don’t read those articles any more. Lance tends to cut to the chase without the “make-work”.

A real railroad’s Freight Clerks job must be amongst the most tedious anywhere.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Love it when you guys say things like this...

Gives us ample ammo to give Lance a never-ending stream of "sh$#t !... :sungum:

I'm hoping that's friendly banter between friends rather than some of the abuse he has had in the past

Allow me to clarify:

1. A bunch of us in the Washington DC area, including me, consider Lance a good friend.

2. It's certainly good-natured ribbing... and he gives as good as he gets. But we do engage in "serious" modeling discussions aimed at raising the bar amongst ourselves.*

3. While I don't necessarily agree with everything he says not only is Lance a friend, I'm a fan of his modeling and have been for years.

Clear 'nough?

(*Lance talked about this very thing on "A Modelers Life" podcast episode in which he was interviewed...as well as how exciting his prototype railway engineering work was <not>)

Edited by CVSNE
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Would one of the Atlas crossings fit? - they come in various shapes and sizes and degrees

It's a # crossing and the same as the equivalent in a scissors crossover.  #4 for #8's, or #3 for #6's. Which might be a quick, but costly and prototypically unlikely, way of solving the problem. The commercial crossings tend to be degree crossings. 30, 45, etc.

Edited by Andy Reichert

It's a # crossing and the same as the equivalent in a scissors crossover.  #4 for #8's, or #3 for #6's. Which might be a quick, but costly and prototypically unlikely, way of solving the problem. The commercial crossings tend to be degree crossings. 30, 45, etc.

I have a catalogue listing the crossings by degree 12.5, 19, 25, 30, 45. 60, 90 in Code 83 and the same degrees in code 100

Trying desperately half-heartedly not to get too distracted by Ms Lawson and to keep on topic, may I be permitted to offer some gentle, though constructive criticism (given that you're effectively back to bare baseboards...again)?

Quite like the potential configuration of the yard that you have set out here; however, the overall layout once again seems ... well ... all a bit parallel and 90 degrees?

Now - like you - I'm not a fan of 'a curve because a curve looks nice'; however, I do have a penchant for an angled orientation to try and get away from the 'round four walls' syndrome. Could you not arrange for the main running line (if there is such a thing) of that layout you propose to run from front left to back right (or vice versa) on the board? With the running line near the front, that would allow for some depth to be built up behind to set the scene.

Another idea is to perhaps merge the end wall (opposite the door) and one of the adjacent sides so that they are all part of one scene (cut the corner, so to speak). It might take a little chunk of your middle free space but not much I would guess.

Just some thoughts as you strive to 'crack' the satisfaction conundrum...

I had three attempts at building the crossing yesterday, all failures.  A great deal of swearing was about the only outcome.  

So I ordered a 19 degree Atlas from Gaugemaster.  Only to realise at 01.30 this morning that I'd ordered the code 100 by mistake, and had to cancel.  Needless to say Code 83 are out of stock...

You have to laugh sometimes.  Back to the sabbatical.

post-238-0-82279600-1437472438.jpg

Nige said she'd be round in a minute to take me out for a nice drive.

• Like 1

I had three attempts at building the crossing yesterday, all failures.  A great deal of swearing was about the only outcome.  

So I ordered a 19 degree Atlas from Gaugemaster.  Only to realise at 01.30 this morning that I'd ordered the code 100 by mistake, and had to cancel.  Needless to say Code 83 are out of stock...

attachicon.gifHot-photo-117.jpg

I thought I might be able to help you out, but the one I have is code 100 ( also marked #6 FWIW) There are 4 on ebay at the moment in code 83, may be worth a phone call to Model Junction - and the Nige in your picture looks very high maintainance!

Edit to say - this one isn't too unreasonable eBay item number: 291490697999

Edited by shortliner

Make sure to drive on a bumpy road. Can you believe that she's 53 years old?

Edited by Mike Kieran

Dear Dr,

Why couldn't you do a 83<>100 transition joint on the diamond crossing? Many crossings are built with heavier rail than the immediately adjacent tangent, due to the hammering the cross gets at speed. Thinking particularly of older diamond-crossing-at-grade interchanges between heavy carriers, IHB, Nickel-plate, the granger roads, etc...

https://www.acm.jhu.edu//~sthurmovik/Railpics/11-07-02_PRSL_ARTIFACTS/CR_Vineland-Sec-LANDIS-diamond-rail-cracks.jpg

(Look at the rail leading vertically UP away from the diamond, the change of rail weight is obvious)

http://vic.gedris.org/files/images/2010-04-22-027_DavenportDiamond.preview.jpg

(look at the point leading away from the 90-degree rail<>rail joints. Admitedly the "frog" castings are the "heavy" bit and the rail is the "lighter cross-section" bit, but it makes the point that "crossover rail sections look heavier than surrounding rail").

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8Pl-VTib0

• Like 2

Why are Humphrey Littleton's "Samantha" jokes from 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' going through my head..??
  • Like 1