No, a single 34 foot hopper - my guess is for locomotive coal.

But imagine,I could own an entire Railroad's rolling stock!

Six locomotives seems a lot, but I like collecting locomotives.  My little shortline would probably like another Dec or two and then one of these for the passenger:

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

Is that the Grand Canyon there, in between loco & tender??!! :jester:
  • Like 1

Anyone got thoughts on suitable rolling stock.

Assuming a date of early 1950s, and that the line originates pulp wood, some box car traffic, a small amount of oil, half a dozen hoppers of gravel, and not much else.  

A caboose or two, and a combine.  I imagine that the line's own stock would be older, second hand ex-class A stock.

I know nothing about transition era railroading...

• RMweb Premium

Here's two on freight cars for you:

http://mrhpub.com/2013-04-apr/land/files/mobile/tablet.html#33

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/a-guide-to-1920s-era-ho-scale-plastic-freight-cars/

The one article is HO stock available, I'm afraid, but it gives an idea of what to look out for. I would think any of the big class 1 roads would put in an appearance, particularly boxcars, and your home road most likely wood bodied stock.

Edited by Northroader

Thanks for all the information chaps, much appreciated.  I feel really rather enthused and am looking forward to starting work on the new pike when I finally get some annual leave.

In the meantime, here's what rekindled the mojo...

post-238-0-11259800-1499622718_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-26879100-1499622742_thumb.jpg

I found some old Atlas 55t ton hoppers stowed away, and they seem to fit right in.  A repaint and weathering will be necessary at some point for the gravel train.

post-238-0-24381200-1499622829_thumb.jpg

some switching going on... one of the reasons I went back to the US outline after a brief interlude with UK was the fabulous working couplers.  Switching with them is a joy, and they look the part - especially once the magnetic tail is removed.

post-238-0-11805800-1499622943_thumb.jpg

and a bit of a mad moment it would seem.  A China Railwatys JS 2-8-2 and an American 2-10-0 just for an interesting contrast in era and design.  About 70 years separates the build dates of these two.  Although actually it's not mad at all, and if anyone can tell me why not they win a free Nigella pic in the thread of their choice.

Looks like I need to see where I can get hold of Tichy Train kits - they seem to stock all the types I need to get started.  That or doing some detailing on a bunch of blue box kits...

• Like 4

Love it. I'm forever on the lookout for an American kettle that might be described as "smallish". Can't find anything SP that's not a cab forward or similarly gargantuan, but the idea of a fictional shortline... It's not the first time I've heard of such a thing, but for some reason this has inspired where others have not...

attachicon.gifdec 00.jpg

and a bit of a mad moment it would seem.  A China Railwatys JS 2-8-2 and an American 2-10-0 just for an interesting contrast in era and design.  About 70 years separates the build dates of these two.  Although actually it's not mad at all, and if anyone can tell me why not they win a free Nigella pic in the thread of their choice.

"Russian decapods" worked in China from 1959 (class DK2), and so might have been seen beside class JS engines there.

So, where to put the pic of Nigella then Mr pH?

Too easy really.

Does the "too easy" refer to the question, or to the destination of the picture? If it's the latter, then I agree with the topic you're probably referring to.

Dear Dr G-F,

I need to see where I can get hold of Tichy Train kits - they seem to stock all the types I need to get started.

Yep, for steam-era you could quite happily stock an entire layout from Tichy offerings, both "as offered" and "kitbashed". They go together very easily, good fit of parts, and are equally at home being speed-assembled "production line style" (esp with one of the "bulk buy" options), or slowly one-by-one with an eye to uber-detailing...

As for how-to-buy, I'd reccomend buying direct...

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/

Glad to see you've found a theme which fits better,
and is translating into actual forward motion... :-)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Edited by Prof Klyzlr

Dear Zomboid,

but the idea of a fictional shortline... It's not the first time I've heard of such a thing, but for some reason this has inspired where others have not... 

I hear the B'mann Baldwin 4-6-0 in T&P 
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_276_1022&products_id=6192

or the earlier/smaller Alco 2-6-0, maybe in ATSF,
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_276_621&products_id=5713

calling your name...

(I can see either working a treat on an elongated-version of "Rachel, Georgia"...)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Love it. I'm forever on the lookout for an American kettle that might be described as "smallish". Can't find anything SP that's not a cab forward or similarly gargantuan, but the idea of a fictional shortline... It's not the first time I've heard of such a thing, but for some reason this has inspired where others have not...

I reckon even the most diehard of diesel fans amongst us secretly have, or want, a steam loco in their collection. Years ago in HO I had a Bachmann 'American' 4-4-0 'modernised' for 1940s/50s shortline service, & also had a Mehano 2-8-0 for a while, but that soon had motor trouble so I sent it back to the retailer for a refund.

I'd still like a 2-8-2 Mike, but in O Scale it'd cost mega-$$$$ & wouldn't negotiate my layout curves. :(

You got me reminiscing Jordan, I had a USHobbies UP 2-8-0 (funny shaped tender by D&H standards) that would go round 27" curves in my loft.  When the Mojo dragged me past Colonie shops on the D&H, it said it knew someone with a USHobbies SD45 for a swap.  In those days they were about the same price....

Jason

A couple of hours before I flew off to Hong Kong for work, a parcel arrived from the Bay of E.

In it were a couple of war era wooden hoppers, of unknown provenance, and a more suitable hack.

post-238-0-63839900-1499827724_thumb.jpg

The cab is a modernised Athearn bluebox, and a candidate for an upgrade including hand rails and glazing.

post-238-0-39860400-1499827816_thumb.jpg

Not sure who made the hoppers, I didn't take the time to look. They are recent though judging by the airhoses

post-238-0-53321300-1499827905_thumb.jpg

and finally a quick look at around 2/3rds of the eventual rock train. I think my shortline needs a name now!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 6

An 11 hour 20 minute flight thanks to a stiff tail wind all the way!

I'm sat sitting in the office now, looking slightly stunned and probably not making much sense.  A smooth trip, but wasn't able to check in to my room until 10pm.

Working til 8pm tonight (it's almost 3pm at the moment) and struggling to stay awake.  Not making so many trips as a few years ago, but they don't get any faster or more relaxing.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Premium

The composite hoppers were made by LifeLike in their P2K range. They're nice, aren't they? :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Now you mention it, the spotting feature for me is the writing around the wheels! Very P2K.

• 2 months later...

Still fiddling about, when I have the time.

post-238-0-94776200-1506956170_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-44486900-1506956184_thumb.jpg

This effort loosely based on the former SP Ione Branch, and the connection to the Amador Foothills line.  Wish I'd been able to build the shed I originally planned, the lack of length is really hurting the appearance.  Might have to accept #6s instead of #8s to compensate.

A nice SP Type 22 Depot will go here - should be a Type 23 really.

• Like 3

Here's a rubbish sketch of the interesting bits of the line.  Would make a super subject, wish I had a bigger shed.

post-238-0-98397800-1506960157_thumb.jpg

Southern Pacific from Galt to Ione, then ACR from Ione to Martell.  (Georgia Pacific Lumber operation I think)

Mostly wood products, wood chips, dimensional lumber, finished products in box cars.  The quarry provided a lot of ballast for the SP, so pretty heavy traffic source.  A 3 road shop building and MOW spur at Martell, plus the Georgia Pacific plant.  At least two styles of 'SP-alike' depots, SP 4 axle switchers on the SP line, and Baldwins on the ACR...

• Like 3