I managed to get some shed time today which actually coincided with the right frame of mind...

post-238-0-02271700-1514315571_thumb.jpg

I've started finishing the cement silos that have been knocking around for a couple of years!

post-238-0-41789600-1514315620_thumb.jpg

also repaired one of the trucks on this Intermountain hopper that had reduced itself to component parts.  No idea how it did that,sitting in a box

post-238-0-31653800-1514315713_thumb.jpg

and inspected the latest addition to the fleet.  At some point in the next few months it will be patched, weathered and have a few details added, such as roof top a/c unit and rlocated horns.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

the lack of length is really hurting the appearance.  Might have to accept #6s instead of #8s to compensate.

Hopefully not: how much length would you actually gain by doing this, and at what cost to how it looks?

Another couple of hours in the shed, despite the snow.  Completed the pipework on silo one, started silo two.  

True to say I am not a fast worker, I think I started these at least two years ago...

Little and seldom is still better than none never...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Presently trying to plan my cement plant.attachicon.gif20171010_200225.jpgBloody hell, it's done it again, why does this happen?

If you took the photo with an iPhone or iPad, the sensor detected that you had the device held wrong way up (right way up is with charging socket at base, I believe) and attached this information to the file, so that it can be displayed the “correct” way up. This is just one of the many small ways Apple try to “help” us with their arrogance, and detract from what is generally a more pleasant user-experience than other, more flexible operating systems...

Edited by Regularity

• 1 month later...

Well, spring is on the way and that means a return to the plywood pacific with the better weather.

I shall be rebuilding the old pikeroo with code 70 and using #6s.  The code 83 and #8s looked a bit too main line really.

Question is, do I wait for Pecos new product or attempt to import ME #6s and flex track.  I slightly prefer the appearance of the ME track and turnouts, they have a slight edge on the Peco for my tastes.

Has anyone got/used ME stuff and have any nice pics thereof?

I am hearing that Model Junction are the go-to folk to import direct from Walthers... 

• RMweb Premium

Well, spring is on the way and that means a return to the plywood pacific with the better weather.

I shall be rebuilding the old pikeroo with code 70 and using #6s.  The code 83 and #8s looked a bit too main line really.

Question is, do I wait for Pecos new product or attempt to import ME #6s and flex track.  I slightly prefer the appearance of the ME track and turnouts, they have a slight edge on the Peco for my tastes.

Has anyone got/used ME stuff and have any nice pics thereof?

I am hearing that Model Junction are the go-to folk to import direct from Walthers... 

IIRC, didn't Pelle Soeborg use ME switches and plain line on his layouts?

Train Life in the U.S have just bought and imported  his last layout, I'm sure they would gladly email you some pics, they're a very helpfull bunch of guys!!

I have also seen some video's on his last build that are on YT, just before he took it down.

• RMweb Gold

I shall be rebuilding the old pikeroo with code 70 and using #6s.

Respectively:

Good, and whilst I understand, that’s a shame.

I slightly prefer the appearance of the ME track and turnouts, they have a slight edge on the Peco for my tastes.

You sound like you have made up your mind: the rest is just prevarication... :)

Ah yes, my old friends prevarication and procrastination

if I leave things long enough, a solution usually wanders by...

thoughts on importing via Model Junction or other supplier?  Sick of getting stung by bar steward customs when I buy direct from USA.  My stuff ends up being held hostage for an actual cash ransom in a warehouse 10 miles from home...

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a policy of inspecting random parcels cages (airway equivalent to BRUTEs), but since 9-11, all parcels get scanned so they reckon they may as well raise the VAT. Not sure of the logic there, but if they are going to scan everything, then the £8 charge is out of order.

That said, I needed Atlas code 83 rail (it has a wider head) which I couldn’t find available separately, and Gaugemaster were out of stock of the flex track, so I bought it from Micromark, who had it on offer. Worked out cheaper even after paying the VAT and the extra fee. Only took a few days, too.

• Like 1

There used to be a policy of inspecting random parcels cages (airway equivalent to BRUTEs), but since 9-11, all parcels get scanned so they reckon they may as well raise the VAT. Not sure of the logic there, but if they are going to scan everything, then the £8 charge is out of order.

That said, I needed Atlas code 83 rail (it has a wider head) which I couldn’t find available separately, and Gaugemaster were out of stock of the flex track, so I bought it from Micromark, who had it on offer. Worked out cheaper even after paying the VAT and the extra fee. Only took a few days, too.

Got caught out last week when an expensive boxcar I had neglected to mention to SWBO arrived with a £60 duty label stuck on the outside, whilst I was out of the country & couldn't intercept, she was suitably un-impressed as she further investigated & found out what I paid on the customs declaration. Oops -  Paul......

• RMweb Gold

Got caught out last week when an expensive boxcar I had neglected to mention to SWBO arrived with a £60 duty label stuck on the outside, whilst I was out of the country & couldn't intercept, she was suitably un-impressed as she further investigated & found out what I paid on the customs declaration. Oops -  Paul......

Ah yes. Been there with that one...

• 1 month later...

Easter usually marks the beginning of Shed Season, but this year it's not only been too cold and wet to bother but I've also been dealing with the aftermath of getting the Flu on a work trip to Hong Kong, which has really knocked the wind out of my sails.

All I've managed to do is complete part one of a major tidy up - part two will see me ruthlessly cull my boxes of redundant equipment that are clogging up the place.  I'm finding the accumulation of so much evidence of failed projects and changing interests a bit demoralising. 

post-238-0-98580100-1522837469_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-84758300-1522837485_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-51815600-1522837501_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Easter usually marks the beginning of Shed Season, but this year it's not only been too cold and wet to bother but I've also been dealing with the aftermath of getting the Flu on a work trip to Hong Kong, which has really knocked the wind out of my sails.

All I've managed to do is complete part one of a major tidy up - part two will see me ruthlessly cull my boxes of redundant equipment that are clogging up the place.  I'm finding the accumulation of so much evidence of failed projects and changing interests a bit demoralising. 

attachicon.gif 29873088_10155930012020528_1625584048957938204_o.jpg[/ur

attachicon.gif 29871884_10155930012400528_4772316203858699177_o.jpg

attachicon.gif 29744306_10155930012270528_2872870398043034903_o.jpg

Those boards must be like a pin cushion these days!

I understand very well your morale failure. A flat clean place for a layout is sometime bad for the morale. I know this.

But I think you'll have a nice start again! The most important thing is you have fun with trains anything you do.

We are supportive!

• RMweb Gold

Bonjour GF.

How about trying something small?

I failed to finish a couple of big projects and itcwas all doom and gloom.....then I started on some small shelf based ideas.....which got finished and with which I now play trains.

Those silo jobbies look fab. How about a 'Cameo' layout based around one of those....

Rob.

• Like 1