• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What has been happening in the shed over the past year?  I've pretty much abandoned the American stuff, and most of the stock has gone to the Bay of E.  I bimbled about with a few ideas that didn't really gel, including a Scottish BLT and a Western Region BLT (both banger blue era) then  finally settled on some familiar sounds in an unfamiliar form. 

As you know, I'm a big fan of EMD products, especially anything powered by the 645 series.  I have been steadily building an Irish Rail themed layout, with some quite impressive liberties being taken in order to have something fun to play with.  Progress is not rapid, although all the track is in place, DCC installed and some sound-equipped diesels are in evidence.  

20191017_173814.jpg.653f9982170763826d46b7fabc7ad7eb.jpg

The wall is not fixed yet, I shall get it a bit more perpendicular first!  I'm installing colour light signalling next, having had no luck trying to get Ratio semaphores to work.  

20190829_164752.jpg.cb2f50eb36e26dbd83bb0f9ac48899a7.jpg.fc98dd80b32ba7173b0d4770be999a10.jpg.3cb6c82ab0f9cacce5a409e55db78f21.jpg

It's all a good deal less po-faced than some of the earlier iterations of things on the shed, but the common theme has to be the big GM diesels.  

And this is where it all started, Rail Enthusiast magazine issue 2, June/July 1981.  Only 38 years later, I can buy excellent models of those charismatic Big GMs...

REx2.jpg.05d6f83d1db5f29ff021efc5782efc4a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Dr G-F,

Well, that little GM is almost enough to tempt me across the Irish sea, to be sure! Not to mention the gorgeous A class from Accurascale, that looks sublime.

Good luck with all of this and remember - have fun!

Cheers,

John.

So, you're walking backwards to Christmas?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

On 29/10/2019 at 15:54, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

And this is where it all started, Rail Enthusiast magazine issue 2, June/July 1981.

Ah, Rail Enthusiast magazine!! :locomotive:

What a breath of fresh air that was when it started!! I still have a few treasured articles kept from those days; one about the impromptu Deltic 'open day' at Doncaster in Feb 1982, & one about D1041 Western Prince, & it's move to Bury Bolton Street from Horwich Works. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2019 at 15:54, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

What has been happening in the shed over the past year?  I've pretty much abandoned the American stuff, and most of the stock has gone to the Bay of E.  I bimbled about with a few ideas that didn't really gel, including a Scottish BLT and a Western Region BLT (both banger blue era) then  finally settled on some familiar sounds in an unfamiliar form. 

As you know, I'm a big fan of EMD products, especially anything powered by the 645 series.  I have been steadily building an Irish Rail themed layout, with some quite impressive liberties being taken in order to have something fun to play with.  Progress is not rapid, although all the track is in place, DCC installed and some sound-equipped diesels are in evidence.  

20191017_173814.jpg.653f9982170763826d46b7fabc7ad7eb.jpg

The wall is not fixed yet, I shall get it a bit more perpendicular first!  I'm installing colour light signalling next, having had no luck trying to get Ratio semaphores to work.  

20190829_164752.jpg.cb2f50eb36e26dbd83bb0f9ac48899a7.jpg.fc98dd80b32ba7173b0d4770be999a10.jpg.3cb6c82ab0f9cacce5a409e55db78f21.jpg

It's all a good deal less po-faced than some of the earlier iterations of things on the shed, but the common theme has to be the big GM diesels.  

And this is where it all started, Rail Enthusiast magazine issue 2, June/July 1981.  Only 38 years later, I can buy excellent models of those charismatic Big GMs...

REx2.jpg.05d6f83d1db5f29ff021efc5782efc4a.jpg

And I thought you were going to do New Brighton complete with its LMS Wirral EMUs. :read:

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

And I thought you were going to do New Brighton complete with its LMS Wirral EMUs. :read:

Or New Brighton where the Soo Line & Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern used to cross on the flat... :yes:

2094029656_BulwerJunction1.png.e91027440b90aa27957c9e6f59597ca4.png

Today it's CP Rail & the Minnesota Commercial.

Unfortunately, of course, it won't be, as the good Dr G-F has left the Dark Side - & I don't think his shed would've been big enough anyway! All it needs now is some spoilsport to point out that his new layout is now in the wrong section of the Forum, even if his motive power isn't. :whistle: :rolleyes: :jester:

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Good to see the gang's all here!  

Present and Correct, Sir!!

10 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've left the dark side because of a lack of space primarily...

Point of Order!! Lack of space?? My space is only 3ft longer than yours, & the same width - and I'm in O Scale!!! :sarcastichand: :blum: 

Lack of space is merely a challenge to the imagination. ;)

Anyway, lets see some more of this Irish Jolly, then. :yes:

58 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Present and Correct, Sir!!

Point of Order!! Lack of space?? My space is only 3ft longer than yours, & the same width - and I'm in O Scale!!! :sarcastichand: :blum: 

Lack of space is merely a challenge to the imagination. ;)

Anyway, lets see some more of this Irish Jolly, then. :yes:

Ha!  I came to the rueful conclusion that to build what really floated my boat would require a shed of at least 35 x 15 feet, and several hundred freight cars plus three dozen locomotives....

so, not in my lifetime unless something financially extraordinary happens...

In the space I do have, the old terminus to fiddle yard seems to offer the most fun per foot... and at least by modelling the IR, I get to have my beloved EMDs.  Even the silly old A class got a 645 rebuild in my era

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've been off the forum for about as long as you've been working on US HO in that shed.  So I just got a big surprise at your change over. But I'm not at all a US diesel fan and I think your Irish models look a heck of a lot more attractive. So Gooood Job!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

It's been three months since I ventured to the shed... the weather has been awful, and then when it got better the V word meant I had a lot to do to crisis manage my work into its current reduced, online mode.

Anyway, I managed to get a few hours in the shed this past few days.  I suspect I may have quite a lot more time in there over the next few weeks.

I rebuilt the goods yard sidings, and I will be rearranging the staging yard as the scissors is not 100% reliable, 

20200323_165827.jpg.f31ad1ca2e6a121ea21a3d5c8546c772.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 5