1 hour ago, Andy Reichert said:

I didn't notice a scissors Xing in the more recent posts.  Is it commercial item? I maybe able to help you fix it.

Andy

It's an Atlas job in the staging yard... the rail profile doesn't match Peco exactly (its a bit thicker) and it's just a bit lumpy.  I've filed the flangeways a few times to no avail. 

20190809_152930.jpg.9f723515d1ba69c526518264c48f3262.jpg

This view is especially pleasing.  I seem to use the camera for planning these days, as it shows me what's there and this prompts thoughts about how to make pleasing scenes.  

20200324_170828.jpg.f87e1cf2ceacc4eaf26f38f70cce954a.jpg

So, I need to complete the brewery/mill whatever, and extend the brick wall around the back to enclose the goods yard, with a nice set of closed gates.  Some form of station building flat will also be constructed.  Track weathering and ballasting of course.  A ground signal or two...

Next big project is to reconstruct the staging yard as it's currently not very efficient.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It's an Atlas job in the staging yard... the rail profile doesn't match Peco exactly (its a bit thicker) and it's just a bit lumpy.  I've filed the flangeways a few times to no avail. 

20190809_152930.jpg.9f723515d1ba69c526518264c48f3262.jpg

I couldn't see from here if it is wired up or if there are any rail gaps.

Were you having problems under power, or just hand propelling vehicles? I would expect the end frogs of the crossing to be switched and the side ones continuous solid metal. Such crossings can have dead spots otherwise due to the opposite frogs being so close together.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Some work done on the station walls.  The approaches are shaping up ok.

20200416_162932.jpg.fc4520e57207e2f020d697986fc89f57.jpg

20200416_163041.jpg.d49a8df18a4fcf808ba248eaf916a785.jpg

and a couple of new Ferts got #18 KDs fitted.  Managing about an hour every other day at the moment.

20200416_163919.jpg.ae8d8ac9f0806fc2c51b408d930ba84d.jpg

I've bought a LokProgrammer and chip tester, so I can do my own DCC sound work.  A couple of other purchases that are - to be frank - seemingly rather random should show up in the next month or so.  Let's just say, there's one more itch to be scratched.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2020 at 09:53, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

EMUs are a helluva price, for four coaches.... or even two... 

Dear Dr G-F

I have been watching a few on eBay ... there are some "bargains" to be had, usually from someone deciding to change region or even country (!) who wants to shift stock at reasonable prices.  If I pick up a Bachmann Mk1 coach between £20-£25 I feel I've got a bargain, as my brain still can't quite handle £40-£50 for a single item of stock (a four coach Minories style train could cost between £160-£200 - good grief!).  I've just unexpectedly won a Heljan Class 33 for just over £60 - Hornby Railroad Class 33s have higher starting prices, and I've even seen a couple of Lima models with heftier price tags!  I guess patience and a bit of luck are the order of the day!

And this message means I have managed to read your thread in its entirety, from ultra neat baseboard build through multiple track layout changes, UP to shortline, BLT to Irish railways!  It's been a bumpy trip for a casual reader like myself, so can imagine it has been a real rollercoaster for you!  However, we've not seen a trackplan since back on page 32 (of your short line depot) - any chance of one for your current set up?  (You'll know from correspondence elsewhere that I am itching to see it!)

Eight posts back you alluded to the black dog - the lock down should be allowing everyone to throw their energies into their hobbies, but the truth is that the disruption to daily life cycles, the background worries connected to the situation, and - to be honest - the over-saturation of news reporting as TV channels fill up empty programme slots by constantly repeating the same information means that many - myself included - find themselves feeling tired or simply unmotivated.  And that's not even the people who have the virus!  I should be emerging from this a far better musician, for example, finding the time to practice my instrument each day that I've not had since I was an undergraduate student!  Or be improving my self taught piano skills.  Or finishing my micro layout!  Instead, I am either unable to sleep (check out the times of some of my posts!) or sleeping far too much, and in between am devoid of energy or motivation.  In many respects, I've lost my mojo (full stop) not just my modelling mojo!  Having read your thread though reminds me that getting something done is the best way to get something done!  Thank you, Dr ... I'll be putting that into practice tonight!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Will,

not much ops so far - the perennial coupler problem with stock.  I've installed KDs on most things but they're all over the place really, and the floppy mounts don't help.

I can manage about an hour at a time on it these days, and currently that's all taken up with sodding retaining walls.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...