49 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

If it's definitely staying with Iarnród Éireann, then copy as much as is needed from this thread into a new one, maybe in the Irish special interest section?

Leave this thread here, because if it changes Prototype again, you can come back here.... :D

Meanwhile the rest of us can speculate what will happen next..??!!

Trackplan gets changed again. Odds-on favourite.

Prototype stays as Irish Rail but is backdated to include steam, 20/1

Prototype stays as Irish Rail but track is changed to correct gauge, 200/1 outsider.

Prototype changes again. 50/1

Place bets as appropriate on what next Prototype will be; Indian? Scandanavian? Outer Mongolian Yak Tram? :locomotive:

Ah, what fun.... :sungum:;) :jester:

Lol, you cheeky monkey!  I'm glad the thread provides some entertainment.

Current prototype thoughts:

CIE 2nd gen diesels - got everything I need for this, just a couple or 3 more MK2s needed

late 60s Southern Region - got nothing for this, but a solid contender

New South Wales Railways - got one Lok and some coaches for this!  

How I envy those who stick doggedly to one prototype and have the space/skills/patience to make it happen

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, Regularity said:

obviously not a bookmaker, then, as you’d go bankrupt pretty quickly if you were!

Not even a gambler, just tried to use some phrases I've heard to make it sound good!! :rolleyes:

You have to hand it to our good Dr G-F, though - a Layout Thread now 6 years old and 39 pages long, and not one piece of track permanently fixed down, yet. :thankyou:;)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

I feel that I must comment as I've followed your thread since the beginning . Perhaps it should now be moved to 'Layout Topics' where it will reach a wider, more appreciative audience. 

Your thread has convinced me that having a large space to build a layout would be of no use to me, because like you, I have a wide range of modelling interests which I dip into from time to time. Over the few, I've built small US, UK modern era, UK 1980s ,Italian and Austrian layouts. 

Confronted with a lot of space to fill, I would be filled with too many options and whether or not to spend a fortune (which I haven't got) on loads of track, points. locos etc and then change my mind.

I'm happy building small layouts which I can rip up after a year or so and start the next one. (another small US switching layout).

Good luck with what ever you decide to model, your thread has kept me entertained for over 6 years

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

You have to hand it to our good Dr G-F, though - a Layout Thread now 6 years old and 39 pages long, and not one piece of track permanently fixed down, yet. 

And yet, he has still managed more than most of us (including me)!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a train simulator would be a better option,build your perfect railway and change at will:D

I agree with Alcanman about building small layouts,not the outlay every time you change themes (bet Hatton's are rubbing there hand,again:dance_mini:) maybe the size is the problem, think you've got a great plan, but be time you get round to building it,you mind has changed and you lose interest,you could build  4 smaller layout around the shed,to suit your railway likes:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, long island jack said:

Maybe a train simulator would be a better option,build your perfect railway and change at will:D

I agree with Alcanman about building small layouts,not the outlay every time you change themes (bet Hatton's are rubbing there hand,again:dance_mini:) maybe the size is the problem, think you've got a great plan, but be time you get round to building it,you mind has changed and you lose interest,you could build  4 smaller layout around the shed,to suit your railway likes:)

It's a fair point, the only stumbling block is that I don't like small layouts!  And don't get me started on micro layouts!  I know they're very popular, and kudos to folk that build them, but personally I find them perplexingly gimmicky and unrailway like.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It's a fair point, the only stumbling block is that I don't like small layouts!  And don't get me started on micro layouts!  I know they're very popular, and kudos to folk that build them, but personally I find them perplexingly gimmicky and unrailway like.

I think that statement not only applies to small layouts, I've seen plenty of large layouts that  would fit that description.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I find them perplexingly gimmicky and unrailway like.

8 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

I think that statement not only applies to small layouts, I've seen plenty of large layouts that  would fit that description.

Agreed. Take something like the much-vaunted Franklin & Sth Manchester by George Sellios.

Large? Yes.

Detailed? (to within an inch of it's life!) Undoubtedly.

Realistic? Erm, no. Not to my mind, anyway.....

• Agree 4

On 28/07/2020 at 14:14, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Or any of those strange HOn30 things that the Model Railroader was so fond of in the 80s.

I actually found that over exposure to those kinds of layouts put me off the north American scene!

Not just Model Railroader, our own Continental Modeller is rather fond of them too imho.

Back OT, I actually think Dr G-F has found a very attractive niche where he can still get his GM kicks as well as familiar prototypes, similar coaches, swb wagons, buffers etc (to the "British" scene!?).

I followed a similar route by getting interested in the Danish scene, NoHabs etc then started going all German from that!

It never ends.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/07/2020 at 09:14, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Or any of those strange HOn30 things that the Model Railroader was so fond of in the 80s.

Rekindle your memories with a book on building the San Juan Central by Malcolm Furlow

https://www.amazon.ca/Narrow-Gauge-Railroad-You-Build/dp/0890240582

Or the track plan for John Olson's Mescal Lines

WH5-Rktdl-pUGPmkPFfZdBTFGvnIipWgstWPMsRu

It definitely was something of a different era, and they must have been popular (or MR really desperate for content).

On 28/07/2020 at 11:39, F-UnitMad said:

You have to hand it to our good Dr G-F, though - a Layout Thread now 6 years old and 39 pages long, and not one piece of track permanently fixed down, yet. :thankyou:;)

And how sad will you be to find out that this past two days I've actually fixed down about 8 yards of track with actual PVA glue and everything... :)

20200805_141714.jpg.e16b283daabfedc145c30da9a6bf7f29.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

Excellent stuff - is this the bottom-left corner of this plan?

20200530_150150.jpg

Certainly I'm thinking about making my layout part of a system, rather than a single scene - but even in 2mm it's not that simple!

Is the theme of the layout transitioning fo the Sunny South Special?

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

And how sad will you be to find out that this past two days I've actually fixed down about 8 yards of track with actual PVA glue and everything... :)

20200805_141714.jpg.e16b283daabfedc145c30da9a6bf7f29.jpg

Yey ! The mojo's back. Great concept (I too like return loops).

Keep going!

• Like 1

Yes, it's this bit....

Capture.JPG.cef47bf07cf19b0a0feeb74f25d23bb8.JPG

Although Clapham Junction is not making an appearance!

Now chaps, does anyone know of/have any Hornby rebuilt West Country or Battle of Britain pacifics knocking about?  :)

I was making good progress until I ran out of screws and also noticed a surveying error that needs correcting.  It's flipping hot and I am not sure I CBA  to manage B&Q at the moment...

• Friendly/supportive 1

Some progress...

20200812_151100.jpg.20cd05a6253eb9a4c04f8bb5b78e24d5.jpg

20200812_104408.jpg.2b985269da2a5ebbeb1623a87cd67d88.jpg

20200811_163256.jpg.ea90a732f41f861520771c116e739fdf.jpg

20200810_160835.jpg.8eadd87bb3383853bee15c8bf0f461dd.jpg20200812_150908.jpg.24ac0eb104ee071f25ede5261cfc4906.jpg

the lower deck is complete, and tested.  The Digitrax AR1 works perfectly, and a sound equipped loco will run through the return loop with no hesitation not even a tiny interruption to the sound...

I will be sawing and swearing a lot tomorrow, as it's time to crack on with the upper deck including The Big Terminus.

Current thinking has two operating modes - CIE/IR and last days of steam on the LSWR.  

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I had to take a break for a few days as the amount of new woodwork was becoming pain, it's more than half the existing layout again and it was quite warm to say the least.  But Sunday saw a major push, and the head of steel is now complete and operational as far as the terminus throat.  The boards are also complete apart from my version of The Loughborough Gap where I had to chuck out a section of ply that warped lengthways and widthways.  Never had that happen before.  It all looks a bit Plywood Pacific at the moment...20200816_183628.jpg.d76b93f9dc308568d0c68af6245cebc0.jpg

Talking of Pacifics, I managed to get a Jarvis Pacific for future services.  Handsome old thing.  And the loco aint bad, either.

20200817_143523.jpg.c85a23c0b79b8c028bcd9e7b4b92d201.jpg

• Like 9

On 17/08/2020 at 18:10, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I had to take a break for a few days as the amount of new woodwork was becoming pain, it's more than half the existing layout again and it was quite warm to say the least.  But Sunday saw a major push, and the head of steel is now complete and operational as far as the terminus throat.  The boards are also complete apart from my version of The Loughborough Gap where I had to chuck out a section of ply that warped lengthways and widthways.  Never had that happen before.  It all looks a bit Plywood Pacific at the moment...20200816_183628.jpg.d76b93f9dc308568d0c68af6245cebc0.jpg

It must be permenant, there's dropper wires being fitted.... :yes: :good: :mosking:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3