11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Is the NEM pocket actually the problem?

I shall investigate....

and having investigated, I comclude that the cause of the interference with the dangly bits resulting in derailment of the leading wheelset is this.

20200912_142039.jpg.3934b1c4ccaa351fdf621afe3fb913ec.jpg

The bogie has a moulding that has the guard irons and a suggestion of the AWS plunger.  It protrudes beyond the leading edge of the buffer beam.

20200912_142007.jpg.b7f2210c79e1ac38519518c3ceb338b5.jpg

This is a 38" curve and even at this point the wheel rim would be up against the cylinder drain pipe things.

Some mulling will now take place.

• Informative/Useful 1

I took the bogie off and the AWS plunger and guard irons are an integral part of the frame casting, so I may end up sawing them off to clear the buffer beam.  

20200912_152742.jpg.60ce124fffa2143ed6ebb0fed9d493b1.jpg

On dismantling it I noted that the mounting screw that connects tge swing arm to the loco chassis was quite slack.  This meant that the whole assembly was quite floppy.  When I reassembled it I tightened it so that the swing arm was firmly held in the chassis frame allowing for vertical displacement only and ensuring that the bogie then moved correctly in an arc relative to the loco centre line.  It runs much more smoothly with the bogie now properly seated.

• Informative/Useful 1

I thought it might be of interest to show an overview of the layout.  It's a long way from the original 'last mile' ISL I started out with.  It's absolutely an unashamed exercise in nostalgia, building a layout that my 12 year old self would have wanted, and following an old-school operators plan rather than something more 'scale' or 'realistic'.  

400823328_September2020Panorama.jpg.be69e7c9715cfe6674fa43c5763f1e65.jpg

So far, it's been a blast.  Interestingly, visitors to the shed seem to 'get' this layout much more than my previous ones.  It's certainly much more fun to operate, as the return loop works as intended - returning trains without human interference, so I can focus on the station operations.  A big thumbs up for the Digitrax AR1 - I shall be buying another one for the turnable.

The branchline will be commissioned today as the PVA will have set, then I need to commission the lever frame and install electric point motors for the junction with the branch, two more turnouts to complete the station yard, install the turntable - then fun running trains.

The main terminus is at shoulder height - makes for excellent viewing, especially as it's viewed from inside a curve, so trains wrap around my field of view.  The lever frame will control the main throat complex, and if it works as intended I may do the same for some mechanical signalling.  There will also be a very small panel for the branch junction which is also out of reach of the operators cockpit.

I feel like the layout is held together with PVA, a wonder material if ever there was one!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I thought it might be of interest to show an overview of the layout.  It's a long way from the original 'last mile' ISL I started out with.  It's absolutely an unashamed exercise in nostalgia, building a layout that my 12 year old self would have wanted, and following an old-school operators plan rather than something more 'scale' or 'realistic'.  

400823328_September2020Panorama.jpg.be69e7c9715cfe6674fa43c5763f1e65.jpg

So far, it's been a blast.  Interestingly, visitors to the shed seem to 'get' this layout much more than my previous ones.  It's certainly much more fun to operate, as the return loop works as intended - returning trains without human interference, so I can focus on the station operations.  A big thumbs up for the Digitrax AR1 - I shall be buying another one for the turnable.

The branchline will be commissioned today as the PVA will have set, then I need to commission the lever frame and install electric point motors for the junction with the branch, two more turnouts to complete the station yard, install the turntable - then fun running trains.

The main terminus is at shoulder height - makes for excellent viewing, especially as it's viewed from inside a curve, so trains wrap around my field of view.  The lever frame will control the main throat complex, and if it works as intended I may do the same for some mechanical signalling.  There will also be a very small panel for the branch junction which is also out of reach of the operators cockpit.

I feel like the layout is held together with PVA, a wonder material if ever there was one!

Yo Doc

It looks fun. As soon as this COVID thing is out the way, I am coming over to have a play with your train set. Likewise you can come and help me crash things on Sheffield Exchange.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Can't beat a good old blast from the past ! 

I've still got a few of their vinyls tucked away which need a proper machine to play them on....one day again maybe ?

• Like 1

Small bits of progress this week, I'm still waiting for a couple of turnouts to finish the small yard and access to the engine sidings.  In the meantime, I tweaked the poor old Dapol turntable to within an inch of its life.  It looks better, I think.  It's still nothing like a Southern Railway table, that would be the Peco well type.  But can't fit one of those as there is no clearance.

20200916_164825.jpg.72b6f4355ff9c56db5634f8dfbaf7427.jpg

I have no idea why my Wrenn 4MT tank is sitting up like a drag racer... doesn't matter, these days it's only ever used as a mobile weight...

I've also been bodging about with mechanical point control.  I hadn't factored in the springiness of the wire so 'pushing' is proving somewhat problematic. 

20200916_175312.jpg.534f0515c78774287adbddb261b9369c.jpg

I suppose I could always resort to surface mounted point motors if this doesn't work.  I was always going to use point motors for the branch junction, as it's too far from the cockpit to control mechanically.

Question is, which ones?  The Cobalt SS are permanently out of stock, the Peco and Gaugemaster ones seem a bit on the large size.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

20200917_170341.jpg.e82ac4d2be03f56d9d2b2a05795fd77f.jpg

Just needs a chip fitting... was a good price, so seemed rude not to. Now of course I'll have to install 3rs rail.  Sigh.

Or have some push-pull fitted BRCW type 3s...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

A 2BIL for the branchline shuttle... 

Will probably give the GG1s a miss but I quite fancy a pair of Aus GM bulldogs to go with my 422 currently hauling my Silver Cross stainless steel pax set...

;)

The place where your 422 came from is doing the Indian Pacific/Ghan/Southern Spirit passenger cars. They also do a Southern Aurora set but that's sold out.

Just sayin'.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/09/2020 at 12:54, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've also been bodging about with mechanical point control.  I hadn't factored in the springiness of the wire so 'pushing' is proving somewhat problematic. 

20200916_175312.jpg.534f0515c78774287adbddb261b9369c.jpg

Wow - all of a sudden this is a thread that's become difficult to keep up with - I think that tells its own story.

Re the point rodding - yes, it will be springy in the 'push mode'. For that reason, I have taken to using approx 1mm steel wire (the sort you can buy in a garden centre for tying up bits of shrubs and bushes). It is of course way over scale but it completely solves the problem. The GEM angle cranks that I detect you are using can take having their holes drilled out to 1mm (they are over scale anyway!).

Some pics enclosed of the 100% mechanical installation on my Dad's Aberdeen layout:

WP_20171115_21_21_50_Pro1.jpg.3c5c5b03bca220b1109441d4c8d962d4.jpg

36 lever Modratec frame, controlling 11 points and 25 signal arms. The points are using the 1mm wire for the rodding; the signals use 28swg (approx 0.37mm) steel wire, spring return (so they only have to pull, but still need regular pins to keep in line). This is it complete, with rodding and cranks painted and generally 'blended in'. Longest point rodding run is approx five feet (the points under the gantry) and some of them are paired up as a crossover so have to work twice as hard; but it's been in now for nearly five years and is used on almost a daily basis with almost no problems at all.

1896771603_Aberdeen174.jpg.63a4e925a11b9cb9c4102a5a28fa466e.jpg

Taken during installation, some years ago. I think all the points have been done here but only some of the signals (towards the top). You can see how there's almost no pinning of the 1mm wire needed here.

1872334932_Aberdeengantry211.jpg.c1b73a0131fe61949c0c0929e3701bc0.jpg

Heading towards the signal gantry, showing a mix of point rodding and signal wire runs (note the second run, over to the left). Again, you can see the relatively few pins required for the point rodding compared to the signal wires.

If mechanical operation of points and signals floats yer boat (it does mine!) then stick with it as it's very satisfying once it's all in and working.

Oh, and FWIW, I wouldn't bother installing the third rail either!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2