• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

It's like I've said before - I think many of us in the UK who look at railways beyond our shores will have interest 'bubbles' for more than one country or prototype, even if circumstances limit what we personally model. :yes: :good:

Did I mention Peruvian meter gauge?

peru1.jpg.a394be97cd1a82aaa9e9ded076aae2ab.jpg

peru2.jpg.70f3df91f1a4bb2fcc3099eaf81004bf.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I had a little look around for european N and Ho - bloody heck, that's not cheap!

It never has been as far as I can remember!! Way back in the late '70s I was seduced by a Fleischmann catalogue, and nearly fainted when I saw the price of an N scale German loco in my local hobby shop - £33.00!! :scared:  :swoon:     My whole Hornby HST train set had cost about £20!!

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Did I mention Peruvian meter gauge?

Why did the word "Dobwalls" float through my mind, looking at those photos? :sarcastichand:  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

european N and Ho - bloody heck, that's not cheap!

I've been bargain hunting... the Hanger Queen was a smidge over 80 notes, plus about 40 euros worth of spares, but she was sold as a non-runner.  Most of the rest are in the 100-150 region from the Bay of E.

New stuff will set you back a huge wedge... over £350 for the Trix Br44 but the brute is diecast metal...

I really like the mid 80s to mid 90s vintage Roco.  Solidly built, pretty good level of detail, great motors and cheap enough for a bodger like me to feel ok taking them apart and generally fiddle about.  The rolling stock is pretty good too, although some of the coaches are 1:100 in length and don't look right.  I have the 1984 Catalogue and it is my purchasing bible.  I bought it in Beatties in Nottingham when I was an impoverished art student who could only dream of such beautiful toys...

This is very much a conscious exercise in of nostalgia involved in this layout, as I am attempting to build the layout my 10 year old self wanted.  

The link to Die Ercallbahn thread was interesting... it was one that definitely got me thinking back to my childhood model trains.

The vintage Jouef stuff has garbage mechanisms and gigantic pizza cutter flanges, which is a shame. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ok I'll ask the Stupid Question.... :fool:

Why? What difference does it make which way up the motor is?  :dontknow:

To be honest, I’m not sure! The only thing I can think of is as @Lacathedralementioned, something to do with the electrical contact points. In all other respects, the motor sure looks the same either way around.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Why? What difference does it make which way up the motor is? 

In my bodging experience it tends to reverse the polarity.

You put everything, including the fiddly cardan shafts , back together and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Then you put it on the track and power it up to find that it runs the wrong way round (i.e.goes backwards with the controller at forwards).

I did this for one of my lot recently.

Count to ten, dismantle the fiddly cardan shafts, put it all back together again and it runs correctly.

Whenever I remember I mark the top side with a blob of paint before removing the motor.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo

1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

In my bodging experience it tends to reverse the polarity.

You put everything, including the fiddly cardan shafts , back together and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

Then you put it on the track and power it up to find that it runs the wrong way round (i.e.goes backwards with the controller at forwards).

Yes that I can understand, but in Dr G-F's loco the difference wasn't in which direction it ran - turning the motor over was the difference between it running and not running at all. :scratchhead:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

At least they're not that pukey green colour....

Oh, I don’t know - if you go back in time awhile, prior to the mid nineteen twenties, Prussian locos (the precursor to the German state system really) looked like this;

16087003298_13db23ea00_k.jpgWP_20150111_13_59_32_Pro by Virgil Wedge, on Flickr

I think this livery is quite similar to the G*R of the turn of the century and I rather like it!

Cheers and sorry for polluting your thread!

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Oh, I don’t know - if you go back in time awhile, prior to the mid nineteen twenties, Prussian locos (the precursor to the German state system really) looked like this;

I think this livery is quite similar to the G*R of the turn of the century and I rather like it!

Cheers and sorry for polluting your thread!

John.

or similarly the locos of another German railway company to be amagalmated into DRG, the Saechsische Staatseisenbahn

IMG_4027.JPG.9d0093079b88299dd8574eaeaf6cd543.JPG

Also pollution apologies.

Peter.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Portrait time.

20210101_142624.jpg.ad1210a8cebaffef143def3061e60e09.jpg

20210101_142759.jpg.f6bdcf61c09c3eda2c6d8ffec5e91fe9.jpg

20210101_142859.jpg.d1acc4ac19a5d9d354c107392b638017.jpg

20201231_172351.jpg.847ed88128592cb518d2c67b4817069a.jpg.ddd416227b4d7ff0c16c8f380950778c.jpg

20210101_142943.jpg.7b323f1b739f5d0fa4e1a015e54a5280.jpg

Wot - no specifics? Seriously nice line up of muchos-gruntos motive power notwithstanding

On 31/12/2020 at 19:50, Lacathedrale said:

contact pads?

I had a little look around for european N and Ho - bloody heck, that's not cheap! 

A point I repeatedly make when folks go on about how 'expensive' our British RTR toys are ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Almost 30 years ago... my first and only experience of 'proper' working main line steam.

post-238-0-37686100-1359552306.jpg.64f7ae15b621902cbcf414e0ff39f18c.jpg

Grimy and well-weathered, and the loco's not looking its best either...

In China, I presume? :locomotive:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Almost 30 years ago... my first and only experience of 'proper' working main line steam.

post-238-0-37686100-1359552306.jpg.64f7ae15b621902cbcf414e0ff39f18c.jpg

Grimy and well-weathered, and the loco's not looking its best either...

Nice hat.

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice hat.

And trousers... mmm, tasteful colour. :mosking:;)

Edit - even though I've seen the photos of the late Colin Garrett, and follow the Beijiao layout thread here, Dr G-F's photo is the first to really give a sense of the size of those engines!!! :swoon:  

Edited by F-UnitMad
Adding positive spin....
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

And trousers... mmm, tasteful colour. :mosking:;)

Edit - even though I've seen the photos of the late Colin Garrett, and follow the Beijiao layout thread here, Dr G-F's photo is the first to really give a sense of the size of those engines!!! :swoon:  

...but we don't know how tall he is!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...but we don't know how tall he is!

Yeah, "but"... as well as the good Dr himself, I was looking at the pony truck wheel, how far inboard it is, how wide the pilot beam is compared to the 'cowcatcher', and then how far up it is to the tops of the steam deflectors and the chimney!!! :yes:

• Informative/Useful 1