@Dr Gerbil-Fritters - what are the details on your shed, please? I'm potentially looking at a property which won't have an integral space for a workshop or model railway, but has quite a large garden - and I figure you have some experience you might be able to share? It looks like 8 * 14' - was there a driver for that particular size? Have you found it OK for condensation/heat/cold/etc. ? I've spent a good deal of my time in the last year in an unheated double-garage that seems to flood intermittently - but it did have nice lighting and was obviously more than big enough.

Edited by Lacathedrale

• RMweb Premium

My shed is 16'x10', has 50mm insulation all round, is plasterboarded and plastered, has a dozen double mains sockets around the walls and ethernet cables to the house network. It is now 13 years old and had its second repaint last summer.

shed.jpg.74fb41f9be0b33d1a4192ec805d8b974.jpg

untidy_shed_2.jpg.ba9a6b5dbae4f2a0a766591436093c93.jpg

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded images
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

My shed is 16'x10', has 50mm insulation all round, is plasterboarded and plastered, has a dozen double mains sockets around the walls and ethernet cables to the house network. It is now 13 years old and had its second repaint last summer.

...and isn't big enough, judging by the interior photo!! :mosking:

Just confirming Dr G-F's point - whatever space we do have, is never as much as we'd like.... ;)

• Agree 5

no need to start another thread, this one is big enough to cope!  

Whatever shed you do build - make it three times as big as you think you need, put in four times as many power points, proper mains electricity supply, decent insulation on walls, floor and roof, decent roofing noit crappy felt, small windows to keep the scrotes out, bullet proof door locks.  Raise it above the surrounding garden. Have a physically separate workshop, even if it's another shed attached to the main one by a door - keep the dirt and mess out of the layout space.  My work area annoys me everytime I see it - its a dump (rightly so, its always got projects on the go) but I wish I didn't have to look at it when running the layout and visitors aren't usually impressed by it.

In other words don't scrimp any costs - none.   

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Yea, I was looking at stummiforum and there are some layout rooms which are just nicely done cabinetry and subtle lighting:

image.png.a95dff09b2787784d66f41de99d95beb.png

https://5is57vtuioa6sb73mgll5fhnhi--www-stummiforum-de.translate.goog/viewtopic.php?p=2147612&sid=56801055684788af9a25e771136475f1#p2147612

A far cry from sundeala on a paste-table trestle in a garage!

My hobby space used to be two rooms - an 8' square garden office full of varnished pine and carpets - very snug and cosy to work on wagon kits and 2mm layouts - but no meaningful layout space other than being perched ontop a bookcase. My other space was half of an insulated but unheated water tight and well lit double garage - great for being messy but ultimately only a thin strip of space between the 'workshop'-area and the car that could be used for a layout, rather than a sprawling 20' x 20' empire.

I wonder if that is just simply better executed by separating layout from workshop and 'modelling' completely - whether by ensconsing the former in a separate outbuilding, or a spare bedroom in the house...

• Like 5

Duly noted, but for now it stays under cover:

image.png.720a7c9ccf157cf268b2b53997c252d3.png

My father's car and mine - the red GT :)

The garden of the property I'm looking at is so huge, I'm thinking that the workshop for a garden railway could exist there, with all modelling equipment/etc. provided - and the layout itself in a spare bedroom/etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am lucky my toy room is the living room, 20 ft by 15 ft. Mrs M has the family room which overlooks the garden and the stables, plus it is south facing. Child B has the garage for his gym. The car port is our hay store. Car happily rusting out the front.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

I’ve noticed that a lot of German eBay sellers seem to start auctions at €0.99 and let the market decide, unlike in this country where a lot of stuff starts overpriced and sits there for months. This means there are multiple options to get lucky.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

There's a lot on the market at the moment.  I just bid what I'm prepared to pay and quit if it goes above that.  A couple of recent purchases (the Hanger Queen and an incoming Gutzold Br52.2) were non runners or damaged.  I'm enjoying fixing them 

Sometimes you get lucky... one recent Br50 was already fitted with a Lenz decoder.  The rest need hard wired decoders fitting apart from Hanger Queen which is DCC ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacathedrale said:

Lovely Lok @Dr Gerbil-Fritters - what is the magic word for finding these dcc-compatible, nicely-detailed but not OTT euro models?

I would have said, go onto German eBay (eBay.de) but now after the dreaded B word, anything over £135*is going to get hit for duty and that’s if you can find someone who will ship to UK.

trawl Contikits website, phone Anorak’s and persevere with British eBay, there are a few decent sellers but beware the charlatans.

John.

*it may be any value item, I’m not sure, sorry, the £135 figure just changes who collects on behalf of HMRC.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Well lads, which room to I stake my claim to?

image.png.8d31794b462b30222c2ebcb530529163.png

It's either that or forgo a 'room layout' in the house entirely, and either wait until outbuildings are supported or take a different tac with a Gauge 1 / 2.5" or 5" gauge garden line.

Trying to be serious, I'd suggest top right. An L along the right-hand wall and across the bay window wouldn't obstruct access to the room or cupboards. Build something that can later form part of your bigger project in the new shed.