• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Crottendorf adjusted to fit the real shed...  

1151390186_Crottendorfcorrectshed01.jpg.26c74072d8f23e572f35ca59670c29a8.jpg

I actually need a shed of 35 feet in length to accommodate the station I would like really to model. 

Apparently, some people can fit an entire section of the ECML in the space I would need for a quiet German branch station...

I'm building a small Italian layout in N gauge. It's a passing loop, a head shunt and a couple of sidings. The scenic area will be 8' long. To do the station to scale would need double that length! And that's just for a simple passing point. And yet, like you say, people somehow manage to make huge mainlines fit into a fraction of the space. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 5944 said:

And yet, like you say, people somehow manage to make huge mainlines fit into a fraction of the space. 

It all depends upon the compromises that you are prepared to accept and, to some extent the effort that you are prepared to put into the construction process.

In a slightly larger space I have managed to build a system with over a dozen stations, and that is in O gauge, albeit narrow gauge.

The comstruction was a complex 3D jigsaw puzzle and I don't imagine that any one will ever be wowed by the scenery, although there is some scope.

I am more interested in running trains rather than looking at nice, but dust gathering, scenery.

I am also prepared to accept sharp curves, steep gradients and shortish trains.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If you are interested the website address appears at the foot of the post.

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Crottendorf adjusted to fit the real shed...  

1151390186_Crottendorfcorrectshed01.jpg.26c74072d8f23e572f35ca59670c29a8.jpg

I actually need a shed of 35 feet in length to accommodate the station I would like really to model. 

Apparently, some people can fit an entire section of the ECML in the space I would need for a quiet German branch station...

Hi Doc

Remember size isn't every thing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/03/2021 at 10:42, ianathompson said:

It all depends upon the compromises that you are prepared to accept and, to some extent the effort that you are prepared to put into the construction process.

In a slightly larger space I have managed to build a system with over a dozen stations, and that is in O gauge, albeit narrow gauge.

The comstruction was a complex 3D jigsaw puzzle and I don't imagine that any one will ever be wowed by the scenery, although there is some scope.

I am more interested in running trains rather than looking at nice, but dust gathering, scenery.

I am also prepared to accept sharp curves, steep gradients and shortish trains.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If you are interested the website address appears at the foot of the post.

Ian T

It's like stepping into Louis de Bernieres land. It's full of character.

When creating a scene there is a tension between the desire for accuracy and the need for something representative or realistic. We look down on our layouts as if we are birds and not like OO/HO humans. We need selective compression to create a sense of space or distance. Our perspective needs to be forced in order to stimulate the imagination. That's when a layout is at it's most satisfying at an exhibition. Layouts such as Bergellerbahn which ingeniously incorporates two stations and three levels in 14ft by 7. 

I have seen very long layouts, 20ft or more, with near scale length village station passing loops in surroundings and found them worthy but rather dull. 

Boundaries, edges, frames define a stage, the placing of objects to create space and lead the eye - all these come into play on a layout. 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Railpassion said:

Boundaries, edges, frames define a stage, the placing of objects to create space and lead the eye - all these come into play on a layout. 

And movement - that's what makes it a layout. Otherwise it's just a diorama.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2020 at 17:35, Regularity said:

This may be late in the day, but it just occurred to me that by replacing one turnout with a single slip, and adding two more turnouts (reusing the displaced one) and a diamond crossover, it becomes possible to have a continuous circuit of double track, for the combined purposes of making the junction look busier and allowing for watching the trains go by.

57C9B33F-1183-4372-9E41-94C28A8E79A6.jpeg.323386c8f32a221f73c06c7ef103a284.jpeg

Even later in the day, but the plan has popped up again on the Older Inspirational Layouts thread.  It occured to me that you could make at least part of that junction into a nice Southern-style flyover.  There's room for a fairly gentle run up, though the descent needs to be steep.

Studio_20210328_152632.png.fa2efe91608da370ea9a83ad9f655dd5.png

The other problem is that the embankment is in right front of Clapham Junction. A solution to that is to make it a dive-under, but now the gradients are wrong: gentle down and steep up.  It works if you flip the plan round though and if you forget about the other part of the junction.  It's now even helpful to put Clapham Junction slightly above datum and split the gradient between the dive-under and the main line a bit.

I think maybe making Clapham Junction into Peckham Rye and renaming East Croydon to Lewisham would be at least as convincing. It would certainly be better suited to Bachmann 4 CEPs.

Studio_20210328_152700.png.802536285a08ba8b24a075551b103174.png

Edited by Flying Pig

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Another change Doc?

Not really.  Still German, just realised I could run C-C electrics towing a single carriage and it would be accurate.

Quiz of the day, guess the prototype. 

No prizes, other than that satisfying feeling of being right, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not really.  Still German, just realised I could run C-C electrics towing a single carriage and it would be accurate.

Quiz of the day, guess the prototype. 

No prizes, other than that satisfying feeling of being right, of course.

I guessed German sparkies, but C-C locos with one coach? Not the Oberammagau branch, then? :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Well despite the best efforts of Chris Ellis as Editor of Model Trains et al, my knowledge of German trains doesn't go much beyond the Oberammagau branch and the Nürnberg Ringbahn. 

So you'll have to enlighten us. Or me, at least.... :fool:

35 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

My guess is the Rubelandbahn class 171 electric.

Yes indeed...

20210514_173156.jpg.1592ef5724cc62383e144cd8244e7cbf.jpg

Although there was very heavy freight traffic, passengers in the latter years were conveyed in a single Halberstadt or Mintlinge coach.  A fascinating system, and if I had the room I would like to model Blankenberg Hbf.

I'll have to settle for something smaller, an mash up of Konigshutte and Hirschberg...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I rather suspected you were talking about this line but didn’t want to spoil the fun!

It IS a fascinating line but I think I prefer it in privatisation days when it was diesel operated, they ran some big power then, Blue Tigers, Ludmilla’s and 218’s and I’m sure, others. Not wanting to be critical but under electrification, it is a 25Kv line - unique in Germany but I wouldn’t let such a trifling thing stop me running regular 15Kv German electrics!

Plus, in modern times, so many locos are multi voltage, who’d know!?

Cheers,

John

• Agree 1

This is a nice intro to the Rubelandbahn... it's fascinated me for years.   

Die Rubelandbahn

and

Once again, I've missed out on the great years - straight after the Wall came down it was a fantastic place to visit.

I don't think any 15Kv eloks will be appearing, so no worries on that score, John!  Mind you, I've enough dampfloks to swap between DR and DB modes...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/05/2021 at 07:38, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

For a moment, i thought you were going to build a small layout. However, I agree the Rubelandbahn is fascinating.