• RMweb Premium

Hi Doc

Have you ever considered Soviet/Russian railways? Just look at this 2ТЭ10У video. 3ТЭ10У  are also great as are M62s.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
fogot the link
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

@Clive Mortimore - Far out, man!

I watch quite a few of these Russian/former Soviet railways videos quite a bit, they are AWESOME! It’s possible to model them too, Roco make the M62 and a very nice CC hood unit, as do Piko along with a small shunter but I *think* to recreate the real exotics, would be very expensive albeit interesting!

The Russians also claim the world’s fastest diesel loco, I posted links previously but no one seemed particularly interested as it disputes the British record.

Edited by Allegheny1600
Link added

I've been fascinated by eastern bloc railways because they're just so brutish - but the challenge of finding equipment in N or TT has always put me off. I do enjoy German railways but there's always something that stops me pulling the trigger...

uIMG_0194.JPG.e2a87baccb372fa681e3066b67415b85.JPGDr your plans inspired me to start in US HO. It's a box car trainset which, so far, I'm really enjoying working on. A simple track plan and lots of shunting. 

The track is down and scenery is just beginning 

IMG_0189.JPG

Edited by Railpassion
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Board extensions progressing at glacial speed.

20210611_175242.jpg.c28cfd790b1f2f86ffabae7d2d50eeed.jpg

Not really in a hurry anyway, as there are no Rocoline W10 turnouts to be had anywhere...

Will you be able to reach the back of those boards all right?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Yes, the extensions are only 9" wide making the total 24".  I wanted the extra width so I could have space either side of the track for buildings.20210612_103303.jpg.e2f2778fff73c3e5ceb8b28e7a78d080.jpg

Thanks. It looked bigger in the photos (ooer missus).

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

No real progress as I await the reappearance of turnouts.  It does give me plenty of time to move things around and see how the various elements fit together.

20210620_105502.jpg.41ea6b30983ab65b75a2c92ddf5684f5.jpg

I have taken a different approach this time, and started by modelling the buildings as well as thinking about the track placement, rather than trying to fit the buildings into any left over space once the track was in.

20210620_104638.jpg.975777001422a6c9573d4d22fcb0dfdc.jpg

There's a few more to go, all completed and awaiting placement.  

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

is it a jig for locating Catenary masts? :scratchhead: :good:

It is.  And because it's German, it is clever and it works properly.  

Now all I need is some more catenary parts.  Which are also out of stock.  

What is going on? It's like there some sort of international shortage...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

French joke about Belgian Railways.... The overhead wire is laid so that it goes from side to side to equalise wear on the pantograph, the French claim that the Belgians lay the overhead wire straight and zig-zag the track.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...

Tidying up, ready for the next bout of track laying.  I've given up with UK suppliers and found one in Germany who had what I wanted in stock.

20210702_113925.jpg.1b3fab8030c45660032297ee49425b6c.jpg

I also bought an airbrush for weathering and such.  Tried it out on some track, plus fiddling about with ballast.  Hateful job but probably worth it.

20210702_113834.jpg.219a568819cfcf50e73160bd8fbcb2b8.jpg

And finally, phwoar... look at the detail on that

20210702_164202.jpg.1a1aed761ad738dbd4d2237fbc11a4ae.jpg

It won't see any use until I can persuade someone to hardwire a decoder into it.  I have a much more suitable tanker arriving shortly anyway. DCC ready too.  

Progress is slow as I only seem to be able to focus for short periods of time.  I blame the doctoral thesis.  I have until next April to complete a full draft and I am already five weeks behind with the methodology chapter.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

And finally, phwoar... look at the detail on that

20210702_164202.jpg.1a1aed761ad738dbd4d2237fbc11a4ae.jpg

It won't see any use until I can persuade someone to hardwire a decoder into it.  I have a much more suitable tanker arriving shortly anyway. DCC ready too.  

Progress is slow as I only seem to be able to focus for short periods of time.  I blame the doctoral thesis.  I have until next April to complete a full draft and I am already five weeks behind with the methodology chapter.

Hi Doc

It is only four wires. :read: Two the wheels (Black & Red) and two to the motor (Grey and Orange).

So what is the thesis on?

My sister had to write a thesis for her doctorate. It was on some aspect human resources. She done it at Plymouth Uni and a lot of her research was done in Cornwall, at one point she said she was going to re-title it "How to get a job in Cornwall if you are not related to the boss".  

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 02/07/2021 at 22:14, Clive Mortimore said:

So what is the thesis on?

The History of the English Art School System.  Although that's not actually the title, I don't know why I capped it as such...

Anyway, much more interesting - my Main Motive Power turned up. Super speedy service from Germany.

20210706_115835.jpg.eaaa4fa8258769fac304278a65e7e955.jpg

20210706_120228.jpg.6ff99c373c7a5946e7314177ece4f630.jpg

The board extension is almost finished, just a bit of paint and such.  Also had a jolly good tidy up in the shed, so it's not so depressing to walk into/spend time in.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The History of the English Art School System.  Although that's not actually the title, I don't know why I capped it as such...

Hi Doc

That sounds interesting, when it has been accepted and you is a real doctor please can I have a read, please?

• Like 1