20210828_171905.jpg.5730f9e8383bc65ee1de31d3d599d334.jpg

20210829_182956.jpg.ed4b589d4cf7c718f9847f647ceaac5b.jpg

Bahnhof Strasse taking shape... lots to do.

I'm going to have to find a way to polarise the Rocoline turnout frogs as the steam fleet are not happy.  There's an unacceptable amount of stalling going on.  A bit surprising, especially with the Br50s... got enough bloomin wheels, electrical pick up shouldn't be a problem.  

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

All very reminiscent of:

WP_20170907_17_09_43_Pro.jpg.f8d0547c4a7ada15d4174ec712330c17.jpg

That's pleasing...  A chum has taken away the Station Kiosk  to build so there will be a small station square for HO railfans to sit and eat sausage and drink beer in.  A few more houses, and at least one largish building to fit into the corner.

The actual railway bit seems to have taken a back seat lately!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Hope this one is 'ticking all the right boxes' for you? It certainly looks that way ... although we have been here before of course:locomotive:

So far so good... I've not got as far as actual buildings and trees before!

The only fly in the ointment is the disappointing stalling on the frogs.  I don't want to use powered switches - why would I, on a small BLT?  - and that suggests I need frog juicers.  Also I didn't plan for switch motors, so the track sits mostly over the framework.  Of course it does.

I've watched a half dozen videos and read all the bumpf but tbh I am none the wiser.  All I want is stall free movement of engines, not bothered about point motors or block detection or blah blah blah.  Can I find a single simple before and after where somebody films an engine stalling on the frogs, and then slaps in a juicer and voila - no stalling.

I suppose I could also look at the pick ups in my engines, but having frightened myself enough by fitting decoders in them, I never want to take them apart again!  Too many bits fall off.

Same thing for Stay-Alives, they seem not that useful compared to eliminating dead bits of track.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hmm ...

Trouble is, you're inviting loads of well-meaning 'have you tried...'? responses.

I'm not familiar with the type of pointwork you're using - it looks perfectly OK from the pics you've posted.

I would be tempted to at least elimnate pick-up / wheel cleanliness from your enquiries before committing to electrics. Not least because I think you've told us that your locos are quite old. Lovely ... but quite old. I can see deep flanges on the 4-6-4T for starters.

Not sure how easy it is on DCC but, before each Grantham show, I religiously put each of my locos in the servicing cradle and check pick-up effectiveness. No need to take anything apart - just use flying leads and systematically place on each wheel tread in turn (that you're expecting to be live) and see which wheel/pick up is actually working. Wheel treads, pickup surfaces and the part of the wheel they're picking up from all need to be free from dirt or other contamination.

Here endeth my well-meaning response (for now?)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Can I find a single simple before and after where somebody films an engine stalling on the frogs, and then slaps in a juicer and voila - no stalling.

I can't show you a film, as it didn't occur to me at the time, but I can confirm that on this handbuilt O scale point of mine, the isolated frog (common crossing, whatever...) is very long and my Atlas Plymouths used to stall on it without fail.

I fitted a Tam Valley Mono frog juicer, as I have to the other switches on my layout, and as you say, voila; no more stalling. ;)20210815_205852.jpg.468188ea3ed659be77d17f9784cffcbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still enjoying building buildings, and not really getting on with the railway side of things.  Here's a selection of recent shots. Nothing is fixed yet, I am 'composing' as I go.  

20210926_123748.jpg.0db45f42d4835fd6bad6c56bcb6bf8a7.jpg

A quick look down Bahnhoff Strasse.  All is quiet on this Sunday afternoon.  The station kiosk is open though, so beer and sausages later...

20210926_155658.jpg.630b9ee50bfa1c057e1f4757374aa44f.jpg

It's a lovely autumn afternoon, and we start with a quick visit to the shed, where 78 246 is in light steam, awaiting the Monday rush.  The trees are dappling the sunlight on the shed doors.  No one is around, the shed staff will arrive later this evening.

20210926_123848.jpg.5d385c4e7db68e99c5d77326b0cddedd.jpg

There's some work being done on the station platforms...

20210926_123854.jpg.6bbf287a96763fff0ba9dacde0a2b15b.jpg

and all is quiet at the goods shed.  The first freight of the week will arrive early on Monday morning, hopefully behind one of the line's Br50s.

20210926_154633.jpg.7a8aef36e5a85198f0c93fad5483bdb4.jpg

While we're exploring the goods shed, the last train of the day arrives - a push pull set with 114 203-3 in charge.  Once the few passengers have dispersed, all is quiet again.

20210926_163322.jpg.1953ea2f0297ec9e99b747ed2538036c.jpg

Continuing along the yard, there are the workshops and coal merchant, and beyond those the railway workers cottages.

20210926_173345.jpg.5fbceed56c2dea9888ce672768f4f622.jpg

Looking back from the laderampe, The 114 has run round its train, and propelled the coaches into a siding ready for the Monday departure.  It's now down at the shed with the 78.  I'm not sure why it didn't just leave them in the platform road - must be to keep a road clear for the first train of the day, which will be an early morning freight arrival.

The sun is sinking now, so it's time to check into the Gasthaus - having first partaken of a smashing Ketwurst, Swabian Kartoffelsalat and a Schwarzbier.*

* I have no idea if these would ever exist in the same place and time.  I once ordered a 'meatloaf' in Munich and was surprised at what actually arrived.  It was very nice, but not what I expected.  Smashing country, I do hope I can visit again.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

Quite a stark difference to the complexity of the Sunny South layout earlier. A prototype shift obviously can impact your design choices but this is a stark difference for sure. You seemed (?) so very confident and satisfied with the operational complexity of the BR(S) layout, and this couldn't be more opposed. The new layout is wonderful too, but I am curious how you feel overall of the shift in location, layout style, era, etc. ?

A good question, young Wilhelm.  The change of direction came about from a number of issues that arose when I constructed the BR(S) layout. 

Negative factors:

My shed was about 2 feet too small in each direction to comfortably fit the plan - cramming it in minus those extra inches meant losing the intermediate stations.

The design resulted in a 'cockpit' from which to operate the whole layout - this would work if there were two or three operators, so each sat at their specific station and handed trains on to the next station operator.  Access via two duckunders was really pushing my luck, and I really missed the walk around with a handheld DCC controller.  Also, I was never going to find two other operators, even if the stations had been built.

I couldn't fit enough staging tracks to feed the terminus.  And even if I could, I wouldn't have been able to operate it without help (or an Automatic Crispin/DCC magic computer programme thing)

I couldn't work in an adequate freight yard or system for running freight traffic.

The scenery was always going to be uninspiring.

I really don't like OO - the proportions are all off, and its surprising how much better the smaller volume of HO models fits more comfortably into my small shed. 

Finally, the Hornby steamers were, frankly, really disappointing.  I also had issues with some of the IR rolling stock that was also disappointing, especially considering the price.  However, they did raise enough on the Bay of E which has entirely funded my entire new layout. 

Positive factors:

I've always liked German Railways, and finally could afford the models.

With careful selection, everything works together - locos, stock, buildings, accessories.  Much more so than trying to mix n match UK models. 

The buildings are a joy to assemble.  UK model building kits are generally abysmal.  In my view...

It fits the space better -  a liveable amount of compression, rather than aggravating cramming.

Interesting track and operations, much more so than I could ever get away with with the US HO layout.

I'm back to walk-along operations, which I enjoy more than 'signalman' ops.

Big steam on a small layout.  You can't really run a 9F on a UK BLT, but you can run a BR50 on a DB/DR BLT one.

Fewer hang ups - I ended up knowing too much about the US scene to enjoy modelling it.  With this, I seem to be more relaxed and not so bothered about being prototypical.  

The models are blooming brilliant.  See my note on valve gear on the Bachmann V2 thread...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dr G-F,

Hooray! I hope you’ve sorted the dead frogs out with this.

Kind of useful that Roco allow you to fit a frog feed after you’ve laid the track. My apologies for not knowing that, this is because most of my track is the ballasted stuff. My unballasted stuff is still brand new in its boxes!

Keep up the really good work,

John

• Like 1